Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

42 years and ageing- what can I do now to slow it down?

(6 Posts)
milkyman Tue 14-Nov-17 14:36:11

I've really started to notice real aging signs - saggy chin, dull skin, grey hairs etc... I use sun cream, moisturiser etc but what else can I do to slow down the process?

unicornface Tue 14-Nov-17 16:23:56

I'm a similar age and went on a bit of a health re-vamp because I started looking a bit older than I wanted.

The right hair makes a huge difference IMO both the cut and colour. I switched hairdressers and got a fresh (very honest) opinion, I wasn't looking for a 'yes' hairdresser.

I lost some weight, cut out refined sugar (I read that it ages you, I can't remember why), cut down on red meat, took loads of vitamins, drank lots of water or herb tea, and pretty much gave up drinking. The drinking is a bit sad and there is more to that than just my health. I also overhauled my wardrobe.

I would say it's worked fairly well as generally people are surprised when I tell them my age or thoroughly accepting when I lie by 6 or 7 years

Miniwerewolfhugs Tue 14-Nov-17 16:29:00

Tell everyone you are 52 that's my plan!

unicornface Tue 14-Nov-17 16:33:28

Damn! I should have done that!

PollyPerky Tue 14-Nov-17 16:44:07

Nothing. its your genes. Best things that work are diet, and exercise, no sun, no booze, no fags and avoid sugar which calses inflammation that breaks down collagen and creates a saggy face.

Get your hair coloured, exfoliate your skin, eat loads of Omega 3- avocado, walnuts, almonds, oily fish, dark leafy veg- and smile.

CountFosco Tue 14-Nov-17 20:34:53

I'd say embrace the few grey hairs, read the threads about stopping dying your hair to see the pain you'll avoid.

Exercise, sleep, diet, etc etc are the things that work. Keep your clothes and accessories current. A good haircut. But mainly exercise, looking at my colleagues in their 50s you can really tell the difference between those that are really beginning to have serious aches and pains due to lack of exercise/bad diet and those that look after their health. To take an extreme example think about Debbie McGee and how youthful she looks because her posture is so good because of her years of ballet. No facelift in the world looks as young as being able to do the splits!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: