Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Eccentric Molecules 01 - is this meant to happen?

(20 Posts)
JesusTapdancingChrist Mon 13-Nov-17 11:36:03

Sample has just arrived and could smell it through an envelope, a sealed baggie and the bottle shock. Not convinced it's my kind of scent but was impressed by the potency and was looking forward to trying it on.

Sprayed in the usual places (wrists, cleavage, neck, remainder in hair) and......I can't smell it. At all. Nothing.

Is it meant to do this? confused.

I don't wear perfume for other people, I wear it for me to enjoy and sniff throughout the day. The idea of a scent that is only perceptible to others is pointless.

Anyone else experienced this?

PetiteMarseillaise Mon 13-Nov-17 13:25:27

I had a spritz of this in Liberty the other day - the perfume lady said I wouldn't be able to smell it myself (?!?) so I asked my DD what she thought: "not as horrible as some of your other perfumes" hmm

JesusTapdancingChrist Mon 13-Nov-17 15:01:24

Have been sniffing the bottle on and off all day and have decided I hate it.

It smells exactly like something from the 90's but I can't quite place it. All I get is pink pepper, it reminds me of Paul Smith Extreme Woman but the Paul Smith is much softer and better blended. Will be giving it away.

Emperor's New clothes hmm.

Madwithjealousy Mon 13-Nov-17 15:07:15

I'll take it off your hands ! It's the one and only fragrance I like. It's true that you can't really smell it too much on yourself but I've had loads of compliments from other people.

Best thing ever smile

Figuier Mon 13-Nov-17 15:53:11

I'm opposite, I can definitely smell it on myself but no one ever told me a compliment when wearing it. Not that I'm bothered, I just hope it doesn't smell horrible to others.

Ifonlyiweretaller Mon 13-Nov-17 17:20:20

I bought the 'fake' version as recommended on here. The bottle itself smells quite odd & a bit 'fishy' but the perfume when sprayed on is lovely. Unfortunately not a single person has commented on it so I'm not sure it works on me!

DollyPartonsBeard Mon 13-Nov-17 22:39:54

Ifonly Ooh, what's the dupe for this?

Ragusa Mon 13-Nov-17 22:44:22

I can't speak for ifonlyiweretaller but my dupe is Tribute8 available from a well known online retailer and for about £15. Because it only has one actual scent it is pretty bang on.

Auldspinster Mon 13-Nov-17 22:50:21

I had this with Lolita Lempika perfume, couldn't smell it at all. Ended up giving it away.

theftbyfinding Tue 14-Nov-17 02:52:25

I couldn't smell it on myself beyond the first spray and no one said I smelled nice. Waste of dosh.

ParadiseLaundry Tue 14-Nov-17 03:07:55

I think this is normal for this scent, unfortunately OP. I find that women go absolutely crazy for the scent (what is it?! Where can I get it?!) and men don't seem to notice it at all!

Ifonlyiweretaller Tue 14-Nov-17 08:17:10

I bought mine from a company called Tribute8 on Amazon Dolly...I discovered it on Mumsnet (like most of the things i end up buying these days - Mumsnet costs me a fortune!) grin

FlaviaAlbia Tue 14-Nov-17 08:21:27

I think that's normal. My SIL wears it and I can always tell when she's close but she can't smell it on herself. I do have a freakily strong sense of smell though.

It's gorgeous, but really rather strong sometimes.

isthismylifenow Tue 14-Nov-17 08:23:21

I have the Tribute one as well. Not one person has commented on it. I don't mind it, but find it a bit headachy when I first spray it.

I think it smells nicer on dd than me. I can smell it on myself.

DollyPartonsBeard Tue 14-Nov-17 17:39:09

Thanks I shall have a look for That!

LadyOfTheCanyon Tue 14-Nov-17 19:08:44

I have Molecules01 and I wear it occasionally under my normal perfume. Whenever I do, people go batshit. Literally coming up and burying their noses in my neck. Men and women. I'd read that some people had a strong response to it but I thought that was just marketing bullshit. My partner, however is completely oblivious to it. If I wear it on its own, nothing happens. It's a very odd phenomenon.

Figuier Tue 14-Nov-17 20:46:57

I completely forgot I also have the actual ISO E Super. I've mixed 3 or 4 batches but none of them was as nice as Molecule 01. Close, but not quite.
I've never tried layering it under other scents but will definitely give it a go!

NotAPenguin Tue 14-Nov-17 20:51:24

I have it too and can't smell it on myself but I get lots of complements when i wear it. I hardly ever do wear it though - it seems a bit pointless when I can't smell it, part of the joy of wearing perfume is having the odd sniff of my wrist during the day. Will try wearing it under something else as suggested above, not sure i will really be get round to doing this regularly.

efeslight Tue 14-Nov-17 20:54:12

I keep smelling this on a friend. Its fantastic. Where can I buy it? Dont live in the uk, but I will visit Sheffield over Christmas. Do they sell it somewhere like john lewis?

Madwithjealousy Wed 15-Nov-17 09:21:57

I don't think John Lewis sell it sadly. Only Harvey Nichols and Liberty do as far as I know.

Originally I only discovered it by asking three random women what they were wearing as they smelt so lovely. I'm clearly one of those people it has a big effect on !

One of the ladies at work can tell that i'm wearing it as soon as she walks through the door which is at least 10 metres away: luckily she likes it too smile

I have had compliments from men, albeit gay men, don''t know if this is significant in any way...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: