Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

How to tell if a colour suits you ...or not?

(46 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Sun 12-Nov-17 20:34:25

I know there is lots of talk about 'seasons' and knowing instinctively what colours suit or not. How do you work all this out? Surely you don't have to have a colour consultation to fathom it all? Do you then just purely beeline for the 'right' colours whenever you hit the shops?
I might buy something I like but it might totally drain me and I just didn't realise it. Until it's too late and I see a photo!
I think I generally suit jewel tones blues greens purples pinks burgundy but as for paler colours, I love my blush pink and gold but certain paler colours probably do drain me. I am very pale, a bit pink in the cheeks, never really tan, mousey hair and blue eyes.
I got a cream/ivory Boden summer dress with a hint of blue and coral tile print in. And I'm wondering if its a poor idea because I'll be wondering if I look washed out in it. It's a bit like I need strong colour in the clothing to make up for the lack of colour in my face!
One think I do know, camel/beige and I do not get on. Worst colour for me.
Can anyone advise please? I feel like perhaps there's a very simple rule I am missing!

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 12-Nov-17 20:39:33

It might sound obvious but have you tried looking in the mirror? It usually helps.

Also, yellow, mustard and green are usually to be avoided by everyone.

So that's two simple rules.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 12-Nov-17 20:40:33

Sorry, didn't mean to sound flippant.

But really, just look in the mirror.

keeponkeepinon Sun 12-Nov-17 20:42:40

I'm crap in the mirror. I doubt everything. I think things look fine til I see a photo and by then it is too late!

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 12-Nov-17 20:44:05

Then take a selfie.
Trust your judgement.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 12-Nov-17 20:45:46

I look best in black and white pattern, which is bizarre.

cleanandtidy Sun 12-Nov-17 20:48:16

Chardonay
Green? What shade?
Green is the colour that looks best on megrin
I have fair skin, green/yellow/blue eyes and dark brown hair.
I stick to bottle greens and blue greens.

keeponkeepinon Sun 12-Nov-17 20:49:55

See that's one I do know. Black and white does nothing for me. I don't even know why. I need the colour yet I'll wear all black no problem. (This may be why I am wondering if a mostly cream dress is not such a good idea. Never mind impractical with a toddler.)

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 12-Nov-17 20:51:04

Sorry Tidy.

There's always an exception.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 12-Nov-17 20:51:34

You have a lot of eyes though.
grin

keeponkeepinon Sun 12-Nov-17 20:51:41

Oh and I tried on a few things today and took selfies. Still dont know. Maybe I'll have to do it in the bright daylight tomorrow.

Faffandahalf Sun 12-Nov-17 20:51:42

I have a gorgeous yellow coat.
And my favourite skirt is green.
And I have a mustard jumper.
Am I doomed.
I do have brown skin though so maybe that makes a difference. I love bright colours. I hate wearing blacks greys browns. Bleugh.

I wear colours I love.

Never white. Too bright against my brown skin and gets filthy in London smog.

ijustwannadance Sun 12-Nov-17 20:51:58

Yes, take a selfie in fitting room.

If you are very pale though, I would avoid any nude colours.

Beige looks pretty shit on everyone.

I'm pale too and pastel colours look crap. Especially lilac. Makes me look like a corpse.

I do suit jewel tone greens though! Just not mint or lime.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 12-Nov-17 20:53:01

OP stop worrying.

When something looks good on you you'll know. Just keep trying on a lot of different things.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 12-Nov-17 20:54:19

It seems I have found out a way to flush out all green, yellow and mustard wearers on MN.

Squarerouteofsquirrel Sun 12-Nov-17 20:55:24

Other people’s compliments. That shade really suits you etc

Or you could try being a bit more technical and look up your colouring, are you autumn, winter etc.

I am autumn person and suit mustard, browns, greens etc..

ifcatscouldtalk Sun 12-Nov-17 21:08:06

Sounds like you are similar in colourings to me. I seem to look fine in black, white,grey, pink and red. The shade of blue which I think is called royal blue seems to get the odd compliment even ( and I love that colour). No go colours are orange, yellow , green and purple. Shame as I'd love to look good in yellow. I generally just know from looking in the mirror. I'm surprised that white doesn't make me look pale but it doesn't if it's just top half with different colour jeans /leggings etc.
I generally know what will suit but I do hold a piece of clothing under my face looking in the mirror and can usually tell.
The selfie idea is a good one.

ifcatscouldtalk Sun 12-Nov-17 21:11:19

faff I have read somewhere that the darker your skin tone the more bold you can go with colours. Lucky you, I look like I need to be hospitalised with yellow against my skin.grin.

KatharinaRosalie Sun 12-Nov-17 21:18:14

Other people. Pay attention when people compliment you - when I wear colours that suit me, I can be wearing a sack and people still tell me how great and glowing I look.

Hairq Sun 12-Nov-17 21:50:53

If a colour suits you, your face looks brighter, your eyes sparkle and the attention is drawn to your face now your clothing. If a colour doesn't suit you, you see the dress or tip before you see your face and you look tired and a bit washed out.

SierraFerrara Sun 12-Nov-17 22:28:18

When I had my colours done, the lady said you needed to pick an area on your face in natural light eg your left cheek. She said if you keep looking at that area when you try on different colours, you'll see that some colours make that area ruddy or dull whereas others make it bright. She also said to look at the effect on your chin because some colours make it look saggy.
The "right" colours make your eyes bright.
If you feel you need to wear make up, then it's not the right colour.

RaininSummer Sun 12-Nov-17 22:33:35

I find it is the clothes which make you zing. Your skin colour and eyes seem better. For me it is colours like hade green, cerise pink/dark raspberry, deep purples and mid greys. A big no for me is white, black, orange,yellow,camel or beige. I have auburn hair and slightly light oliveish skin tone.

SierraFerrara Sun 12-Nov-17 22:34:20

Completely disagree re green. There are millions of different shades from moss, to grass, to bottle, to teal that there is no way you can say it suits no one.

Mustard is difficult to wear but if it suits you, it looks amazing.

I did once see a blonde lady wearing a beautiful sunshine yellow dress. She looked stunning.

BirdyBedtime Sun 12-Nov-17 22:36:53

What a bizarre generalisation Chardonnay. I'm a Spring and bright green is one of my best colours which i get loads of compliments when I wear it. Bright Yellow too.

Liiinoo Sun 12-Nov-17 23:19:28

I think Chardonnay is a clothes retailer with a job lot of yellow, mustard and green to shift and is using reverse psychology. Send us some lInks Chardonnay - I love green.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: