Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Mane 'n Tail

(21 Posts)
questionbasket Sat 11-Nov-17 23:14:08

Yay or neigh (sorry blush) ?
My friend says her hairdresser recommended horse shampoo for hair growth and shine. Just about to order on amazon but wondered if anyone's actually tried it?

splatattack Sat 11-Nov-17 23:20:28

I'm interested to find out too!! Also, how many washes until you can see a difference (if it works??)

36plusandtrying Sat 11-Nov-17 23:26:14

It works !!! I've used it on and off for years (have long thick healthy hair) which hairdressers always comment on the condition of. Best thing ever !

SparePantsAndLego Sat 11-Nov-17 23:27:21

I use the herbal one and I love it. I use a Kerastase deep conditioner now and then, too, and this routine really suits my hair.

SoupDragon Sat 11-Nov-17 23:29:18

They had this in my local Sainsbury's this week. I thought of MN smile

FairfaxAikman Sat 11-Nov-17 23:40:55

Nope. Leaves mine in awful condition. Prefer an SLS free shampoo.

questionbasket Sun 12-Nov-17 00:02:39

I saw it in Sainsbury's too, which prompted my friend to say she'd been recommended horse shampoo (she couldn't remember if it was that brand). I wonder if it's just another normal shampoo, if it's formulated for human hair though?
Interesting feedback, I think I'll give it a go as it's cheapish smile

Tipsytopsyturvy Sun 12-Nov-17 00:08:39

I’ve heard of this but never tried it.
Is it a horse brand with a version for humans? Or literally horse shampoo?

HabbyHadno Sun 12-Nov-17 00:11:53

I tried this and it was the worst thing I’ve ever used. I was so disappointed.

LostForNow Sun 12-Nov-17 00:31:34

It's not for me.
Horse hair is much coarser than human hair. The shampoo has much too much protein in to use everyday for standard healthy hair. It can leave hair dry and brittle, which is what happens when you overdose your on protein.
However if your hair needs protein or is very thick/coarse then it can work quite well.

Tipsytopsyturvy Sun 12-Nov-17 00:44:41

That’s disappointing.
Is it a horse brand with a specially made human shampoo or is it literally shampoo meant for horses?

ladybirdladybug Sun 12-Nov-17 01:02:07

Have you seen The Greatest Movie Ever Sold? There's a great Mane & Tail ad in it. (Sort of a spoof but not exactly!)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtttZfIPZtY

bayseyan Sun 12-Nov-17 01:09:33

I love it but it’s a once a week thing not every day.

Sourdoughandbagels Sun 12-Nov-17 07:05:43

I’ve used it for years, stocked in Liberty. It’s a normal shampoo with branding to suggest you’re hair will be thick and luscious ergo Mane and tail

Reppin Sun 12-Nov-17 07:10:18

I use it every day. (herbal) it makes my hair very thick, lustrous and shiny. Previously my hair was quite problematic, but now it is so healthy. Love the stuff, and love the price, so cheap!

Ethelswith Sun 12-Nov-17 07:12:05

I've used the conditioner on and off since the 1990s, and it's my favourite.

I have thin, fine hair and this makes it look thicker.

Ethelswith Sun 12-Nov-17 07:14:51

BTW, I used it when it first came out in the 1990s (had to stop for a while because it became unavailable in this country, then found it again in Liberty).

It's initial launch was all about how it was a horse product tweaked for human use. But it was only conditioner and hand cream (hoof oil!) then. The shampoo is new this time round, and I've never used that.

JRT2017 Sun 12-Nov-17 09:42:38

I think this is just the version for humans, so unlikely to be as effective as proper horse shampoo.

You need some Mega Tek if you want real results (google Mega Tek and hair growth etc)

DaisyRenton18 Sun 12-Nov-17 09:51:02

Didn't work for me but does work on my horses. Agree with the Megatek recommendation - Megatek also smells amazing!

dramallamakarma Sun 12-Nov-17 10:00:57

I love it & I’ve tried lots of (expensive) brands.

Use it every time I wash on very fine highlighted hair & my hairdresser always comments on how good condition it’s in.

I order through boots.

questionbasket Sun 12-Nov-17 13:54:11

Ohh thanks for the megatek recommendations, the reviews look promising.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: