Talk

Advanced search

Rubber coated kirby grips/bobby pins!

(13 Posts)
BillyDaveysDaughter Sat 11-Nov-17 17:45:16

I have thick, coarse, "strong" hair, and ordinary kirby grips either bounce straight out or won't even go in.

I found some sort of rubber coated grips in Boots a while ago and they worked really well - once in they didn't slip or pop out. Bit snaggy to take out but worth it - and I managed to leave THE ENTIRE CARD FULL OF THEM at a hotel in bloody Birmingham. FFS.

And now I can't find anything like them anywhere! There are some coated, "comfort" ones by Scunci on the Boots website, but I don't think they're the same. All Google, Amazon and eBay searches turn up nothing but products in the US and Canada.

Any ideas? Or recommendations for something else to try?

Jerseysilkvelour Sat 11-Nov-17 18:06:41

I have the same sort of hair, I get the "blend right" grips I think they're called from Boots. The have a Matt, textured coating to stay in much better than the super shiny ones.

BillyDaveysDaughter Sat 11-Nov-17 18:08:56

Blend right - ok ta, will have a look!

venellopevonschweetz Sat 11-Nov-17 18:31:02

have you tried putting them in with the wavy side down? Mine never fall out since I learned that this is apparently the CORRECT way to use them!! shock

BillyDaveysDaughter Sat 11-Nov-17 20:41:46

Yes I have, but the tips then dig in to my scalp! Unless you also do the twist and flip thing...but if I do that in my hair they only ever go in half way confused

Chimchar Sat 11-Nov-17 20:56:42

I bought some in store in Claire’s...they’re the scunci ones that are covered in sort of rubber. Just had a quick look online and they’re not there.

I also bought some from Asda. They are not rubbery, but are coated and very grippy.

Good luck with your search...I bet you’re fuming about leaving the card of them in a hotel!! grin

BillyDaveysDaughter Sat 11-Nov-17 21:13:56

Oh I am Chim, what an idiot - I left my bun donut as well. But they're two a penny.

The person in that room before me left their shirt in the wardrobe...

paranoidpammywhammy2 Sat 11-Nov-17 21:20:04

I use bun tools for my daughters hair or twisty hair pins. They seem much more secure.

paranoidpammywhammy2 Sat 11-Nov-17 21:22:11

I use the smaller mini ones pinning fringe hair back - but I find these also hard to find.

BillyDaveysDaughter Sat 11-Nov-17 21:31:32

Oh I have those twisty ones...nope, can't make them work at all! And I have those snappy bun tools but they always look messy. In truth I'm just a bit crap at hair.

paranoidpammywhammy2 Sat 11-Nov-17 21:40:49

Buns are easier if the hairs not been washed for a few days!

venellopevonschweetz Sun 12-Nov-17 12:36:00

Ah well worth a try!!

Frequency Sun 12-Nov-17 12:43:22

They're not supposed to go in wavy side down. You're supposed to cross them over each other to make an X. That's what the wavy side is, they're like slots for the second grip to fit into.

There's loads on here, I don't know if the extra long ones might work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now