Talk

Advanced search

Every, single year....

(18 Posts)
tobee Fri 10-Nov-17 18:51:32

... I mess up my hair appointments and once again my grey roots will be on view this Christmas.

I need my roots done right now. My hair dye guy sticks to the 6 week rule re touching up the roots.

I’ve yet to find any good products that fill in the gap temporarily between visiting the hairdresser. I’ve sometimes just done a home semi permanent in desperation to not have the grey in the Christmas season, but the colours often not great.

Anyone have a remedy for this? Anyone come across reliable root cover?

neveradullmoment99 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:00:49

I use the powder stuff or i use the l'oreal root touch up spray. You can buy it in the supermarkets.

touch up spray

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 10-Nov-17 19:01:02

There's one that you can get from M & S beauty halls, Josh Wood. Has a button which dispenses the amount you want onto a brush.

neveradullmoment99 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:02:41

powder

loads on the market.

neveradullmoment99 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:03:39

I also have used clairol root touch up. Its also a dye that just does your roots at your parting. I used to use it all the time. Its fantastic.

neveradullmoment99 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:04:23

nice and easy

ChippyMinton Fri 10-Nov-17 19:06:09

hmm Surely if you have roots done this week, then 6 weeks will elapse before Christmas?

tobee Fri 10-Nov-17 20:47:51

I won’t be able to get them done til the end of next week as my guy only works some days Chippy.

So if you look on your calendar it will take me to Christmas Day at the earliest.

But thanks for the hmm. It’s really put me in my place.

LemonysSnicket Fri 10-Nov-17 20:49:06

Go to a different stylist now for just roots and then visit your guy when you need it ?

tobee Fri 10-Nov-17 20:50:33

But thanks to everyone who’s made suggestions. That’s very handy!

AdalindSchade Fri 10-Nov-17 20:53:52

Why does your guy get to decide when you get your roots done? confused
Surely you just make an appointment when you want one? If it happens to be 4 weeks after the last one that's up to you, no?

tobee Fri 10-Nov-17 20:56:54

Good point, Adeline. I just asked once and he advised against it. But I could ask again.

alittlequinnie Fri 10-Nov-17 20:57:20

Deff that - my roots need doing about every 10 days and there is no way I am paying a hairdresser to do that!

I have a mobile hairdresser and she uses L'oreal Majarel on my hair - she told me the shade and taught me how to mix it - I buy it, and the developer on ebay and do my own in between her visits - I would go down that route if I were you.

It means that when I suddenly notice that my roots are showing I can just sort them out instantly. Obvs I can't do the back and stuff but for the bits that really show like my parting it is ideal - I've even trained my husband into doing it!

tobee Fri 10-Nov-17 21:03:22

Excellent work, alittle!

AdalindSchade Fri 10-Nov-17 22:01:41

I colour mine at home and they need doing every 4 weeks. If I don't get round to it for 6 they look awful. Don't let your hairdresser be the boss of you!

MountainDweller Fri 10-Nov-17 22:54:36

I am dark haired with a lot of grey and have my hair dyed back to its natural colour. I feel your pain! I’ve never heard of the six-week rule before. I get mine done every 4-5 weeks and try to plan in advance for Christmas and summer hols (I’m in France and my hairdresser closes for a month in the summer 😱). She would do it every 3 weeks if I wanted but I try to put up with it a bit longer because of the cost.

Anyway I’ve been having the 4-5 week appointments for years and my hair is in good condition, so I would think you’d be fine to book in a bit early and get it done before Christmas!

I was disappointed with the L’Oréal instant root touch up - I didn’t think the coverage was good but could be because I have so much grey.

ChippyMinton Sat 11-Nov-17 08:58:20

Well that was uncalled for. Have another hmm

My suggestion would be to consider changing your hairdresser colour to something less high maintenance.

Mulberrysilk Sat 11-Nov-17 09:13:26

Book an appointment for just before christmas. Its your hair, your money, your decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now