Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Is shaving your arms a thing now?

(103 Posts)
chubbymummy Fri 10-Nov-17 07:28:21

In the last week I've noticed two women I know with perfectly hair free arms. Do people shave their arms now? I've never noticed this before and although I'm now trying to look at everybody's arms to see if this is common place I'm thwarted by the fact that everybody else has been wearing long sleeves. How long has this been going on? Am I committing a huge social faux pas with my hairy arms?
Where else do people shave now? I just whiz the razor over my lower legs (perhaps a full leg if I'm going on holiday), arm pits and a tidy up of the bikini line (tried the all off thing and it was itchy as hell!!!). I'll also do my big toes if they sprout a couple of hairs.
I have my tash waxed occasionally, when I'm getting my brows done but should I be getting the rest of my face done too?
I'm now really paranoid that I look like a yeti.

HolgerDanske Fri 10-Nov-17 07:30:16

I don't think they're shaving. Maybe waxing.

Mumguiltisabitch Fri 10-Nov-17 07:30:31

I've waxed my arms since I was 16 and a child made a comment at my place of work (a shop! ). Im very hairy though and my arms are hairier than my husbands and my dad who is like a gorilla!

Iris65 Fri 10-Nov-17 07:30:52

Even if it is a thing I wouldn't do it. I'm blonde and fine haired though.
I have the same routine as you for defuzzing.

PotatoesPastaAndBread Fri 10-Nov-17 07:31:04

Ten years ago I lived in a flat share in London with two Italian girls who WAXED their arms (as well as every other inch of skin that had hair on it - legs, bum cracks, upper lips). So it probably is a thing, just taken ten years to get here. Can't say I'll be partaking though 😂

Mistoffelees Fri 10-Nov-17 07:32:19

I used to shave my arms after a comment I had from a girl at high school but stopped a couple of years ago and am now mostly at peace with my very hairy arms

Silverstreaks Fri 10-Nov-17 08:27:34

No, it's not usual here. In some countries and cultures it is. Don't jump to it.

Polkadotties Fri 10-Nov-17 09:04:56

My sister has olive skin and quite long dark arm hair. She's epilated her arms since her late teens, she's now 25

Hazelatte26 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:14:56

I shave my arms, armpits, legs, vulva... the odd toe! Anywhere I can see hair apart from my head.

Muffintopsheretostay Fri 10-Nov-17 09:17:20

I usually wax or use an epilator on my arms. It's a thing in some cultures I suppose

SheGotOffThePlane Fri 10-Nov-17 09:19:00

I'm with Hazel - I shave everywhere. Started doing my fore arms about 12 years ago and have done it daily since. I'm very pale and fair but have incredibly long arm hair grin

The fore arms, under arms, full legs, bikini line, vulva every day, toes during the summer. And I'm not especially hairy.

UsernameTaken2 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:20:19

I've only heard of models shaving their arms so they don't get that fuzzy 'halo' when they're walking down the catwalk or being photographed. I would never dream of shaving my arms but I have very light coloured hair that's not very noticeable

BagelGoesWalking Fri 10-Nov-17 10:06:12

I’ve noticed it more and More on tv and films. I think it’s because the HD quality sho^w^s everything in such detail.

I can understand if you have very dark and thick hair perhaps but I hate it as just another unnatural expectation of what “beauty” is.

WonderLime Fri 10-Nov-17 10:11:33

I have dark hair, you can see that I have hair on my arms (though it is fairer from sun bleaching over time), but no one has ever recoiled in disgust.

woollychimp Fri 10-Nov-17 10:11:53

No, it's not a thing.

I shave my legs every day, never my arms. It's not a thing - don't do it.

confused123456 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:13:41

I've shaved them for years. I shave my legs, arms, under arms and down below. Always have

willisurvive3under2 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:16:43

I’ve waxed my arms once a month for the last 20 years. I used to be so so hairy, it’s now reduced down to a fuzz and I could leave it if I wanted to. I also wax my tummy in the summer! I come from another culture and have relatively fair skin and really dark hair. It’s very common where I’m from. Give it a try if you think you might enjoy the results, you never have to do it again if you don’t like it.

FilledSoda Fri 10-Nov-17 10:17:06

I'm really surprised this is a thing.
Do arms get stubbly ?

BabyDreams2018 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:18:58

They may be waxing or shaving their arms. I started to shave mine after I overheard two women bitching about my arm hair in a restaurant years ago. It made me feel embarrassed.

Postagestamppat Fri 10-Nov-17 10:26:51

I bleach my arms and trim the hair with scissors about once every two months. I am very hairy but don't really care. I just do something to make the hair less visible.

I once had a very horrible boyfriend who was cruel about my arm hair. Maybe it affected me at the time, but now I am old enough to realise that it didn't stop him wanting to shag me though.

eurochick Fri 10-Nov-17 10:32:55

I immac mine. I prefer them not completely smooth but the hair is quite long and dark when fully grown. I just do it occasionally, so most of the time there is some hair but it is not fully grown. I’ve done it for years.

JRT2017 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:34:05

I’m 30 and have been shaving my arms since I was 16 and I’m blonde with fair hairs. I just always think it looks really odd/ ruins an otherwise ‘polished’ image when you see girls with hairy arms. Just my opinion.

Frazzled2207 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:40:13

Really JRT?
Blimey
It has never occured to me to shave my arms, they’re moderately hairy but the hair is very fair, much darker on my legs which get shaved or covered up.
I have never felt self-conscious about my arms-until just now!

JRT2017 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:45:30

There’s no need to feel self conscious, it’s a personal preference thing surely? I enjoy having smooth, hair free arms, just like I do legs. People always compliment me on my ‘soft arms’ (if they grab me by my arm or brush against there’s etc) and I think it’s just becaise they’re smooth and moisturiser sinks in better due to no hair etc. Also makes fake tanning a lot easier, I never have a problem with it going rough or patchy, which a lot of my friends complain about.

I have no idea what made me want to start shaving my arms 14 years ago, but I did and that to me is the norm now. And personally I do think it looks sleeker/ nearer etc, especially in the summer. But I certainly don’t judge people for not doing it!

Postagestamppat Fri 10-Nov-17 10:51:54

I wouldn't shave my arms for fear of stubble. You can get away with stubble on your legs because everyone shaves their legs but dark stubble on your arms marks you out as someone who shaves their arms.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: