Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations on eyeshadows?

(25 Posts)
Roussette Thu 09-Nov-17 20:44:16

I waste money on buying rubbish ones, but I know what suits me... greys and dull mauves (but not plum or pink which makes me look ill grin). Also I'm a bit wrinkly for sparkly god I'm fussy aren't I

I have a special evening coming up and want to buy a palette or a couple of eyeshadows to turn my boring make up into something more interesting!

TIA smile

Ktown Thu 09-Nov-17 22:09:39

If you go to the jl website you can make your own Mac palette
I chose 4 but you can do 2 too

Pistachiois50pmore Fri 10-Nov-17 06:50:42

2nd the above, yep. If you can get to a MAC store they'll help you fill your own quad palette, and will suggest some good colours. You should look at their Satin Taupe as a starting point. I think refillable palettes are so much better - premade ones just become the most depressing object in the world as soon as you finish one colour (usually your fave).

KingPrawnOkay Fri 10-Nov-17 06:56:41

I always use Sleek or W7 - cruelty free and vegan.

Ktown Fri 10-Nov-17 07:11:22

Satin taupe is a near perfect shade.
I also like coquette.

Roussette Fri 10-Nov-17 07:12:14

Showing my ignorance, does that mean you can fill a palette with what you think are your fave colours and when one runs out quicker than the rest, it can be replaced... just one?

Lightbulb moment if this is the case, and I'm off to MAC !

Roussette Fri 10-Nov-17 07:12:50

Making notes here! Thanks!

Ktown Fri 10-Nov-17 10:53:17

Yes you can replace as they are magnetic
I recommend looking on line first before visiting the shop and taking a list
There are so many it can get confusing

Botanicbaby Fri 10-Nov-17 11:09:23

Bobbi brown was the first to bring out choose your own colours to customise a palette. You'll get lovely greys there.

Charlotte tilbury has a grey ish palette and there's an Urban Decay Smokey palette that may suit.

Roussette Fri 10-Nov-17 12:40:52

Thanks all, I need to go and look, I thought I knew what suited me, but sometimes it's just the depth of the colour that is wrong.

Ktown Fri 10-Nov-17 15:24:23

can you feedback? i'd be interested to hear any good buys.

Roussette Fri 10-Nov-17 15:56:42

I certainly will Ktown. Not sure when I will be going as not close to a department store but it's on my list to do!

Ollivander84 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:22:07

Makeup geek (sold on beauty bay)
You can put them in a magnetic palette. The pigmentation is incredible
Here's my messy collection - I've used everything from urban decay to Chanel to MAC and I rarely use anything else now
Google has good swatches so I usually google the eyeshadow name before I buy

Roussette Fri 10-Nov-17 19:43:27

Thank you Ollivander84. You've made me realise I need to get more adventurous smile

Ollivander84 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:48:59

I wear different colours nearly every day. Always matte in the crease though, and I love their foiled eyeshadows for on the lid

DaisyRenton18 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:53:45

Customisable palettes are a brilliant idea.

If you want a ready-made one, Urban Decay are just fantastic. W7 are good, cheaper dupes but don't have quite the same pigment and staying power.

Roussette Fri 10-Nov-17 20:18:05

I'm reading all of this ready for a shopping session.

I'm one of those who have expensive palettes with one colour empty, the rest untouched and they hang around in my make up drawer.

violetbunny Fri 10-Nov-17 20:27:38

If you are going to invest in a customisable MAC palette (and I strongly recommend you do, I have several) then it might be worth booking in a makeup lesson which is redeemable on product. Let them know you're interested in buying a palette but want some help in picking colours that work together and how to use them.
Alternatively, go at a time when it's quiet and get someone to help you - there are so many choices that it does get very overwhelming. Plus I find it useful having a second opinion to help me put together combinations I wouldn't have thought of myself.

gingerbreadmam Fri 10-Nov-17 20:38:27

Sorry to crash thread but love Olivia's collection and been after a red eyeshadow for ages. Do you buy the 'pans' then what do you buy to store them in?

Ollivander84 Fri 10-Nov-17 20:44:11

Yes, I get the pans then beauty bag sell magnetic empty palettes
Depends whether you want matte or not but if you Google makeup geek curtain call... it's stunning!
I do like ABH modern renaissance palette, that's probably the only other one I use

Botanicbaby Fri 10-Nov-17 20:46:02

Ollivander I want those magnetic eye shadows!! Fabulous. Did you get them from Beauty Bay?

Great thread OP! grin

Ollivander84 Fri 10-Nov-17 20:48:55

Yes, I bought the pans individually then got palettes here https://www.beautybay.com/l/zpalette/
Makeup geek pans are magnetic so just go straight in, no stickers etc needed

gingerbreadmam Fri 10-Nov-17 20:50:47

Thanks a lot. Love them!

Roussette Fri 10-Nov-17 20:53:29

violet can I just turn up on a wet weekday and they'll help me? I'm not a spring chicken but I love makeup and need help!

WildIrishRose1 Fri 10-Nov-17 21:37:42

I love MAC but hate satin taupe. My preferred colours are Quarry, Twinks, and Copperplate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now