Talk

Advanced search

Went to get hair lightened, now it's darker? Wtf?

(7 Posts)
AlyTab Thu 09-Nov-17 15:18:30

So I'm gradually getting my hair lightened every 6 weeks (ombre). Had my second appointment yesterday. I explained this to the hairstylist and she understood what I was saying. I never really noticed until I left the hairdressers but how the fuck dies it look even darker than before?? I'm really pissed off with this. She darkened my roots a bit too much as well. I just don't get how it looks darker after getting it "lightened". She didn't put any foils over my hair, and it definitely was not the same processing time as my last appointment. I'm really annoyed at this. I mean yes it does look nice, but it's darker and a bit shorter than I wanted it. Has this happened to any of you? And what did you do about it?

sweetheart Thu 09-Nov-17 15:48:07

Go back and talk to them about it. My friend owns her own salon and she has always said if a customer wasn't happy she would rather they came back and gave her a chance to correct it than her get a bad reputation from it.

I have complained to a salon in the past and had them re-do a cut. It was a bit cringe but turned out totally fine.

FluffyNinja Thu 09-Nov-17 15:50:38

Definitely go back and speak to the manager. I'm guessing maybe she used a highlift tint instead of bleach and it didn't have enough lift in it.

Lilonetwothree Thu 09-Nov-17 15:59:33

You should definitely question it with the salon. However when colour goes on at first it can look dark. You could try washing your hair with head and shoulders shampoo (it strips colour out). Or a little more - crush up vitamin c tablets and mix them into your shampoo and leave in for as long as you need. (I have left in for a few hours and done this multiple times and it worked very well for me)

Aridane Thu 09-Nov-17 16:17:31

I had this once at a salon I'd been to for years. My regular hairdresser had left - and I explained that I was gradually going lighter and lighter as the grey increased. And bloody hell, the end results of my highlights - as a result of toner being left on for a long time and under heat - was to turn my hair near black, with the darkest colour 'grabbing' the highlights - ie so it was darkest where the strongest highlights were supposed to frame my face.

I could tell even wet it was not what it was supposed to be. I told her I wasn't happy - she said it would be lighter when dried, it wasn't. I spoke with the manager who offered not to charge. I said that wasn't the point - I didn't come in to have my hair darker / worse than when coming in. They didn't charge (though I insisted on paying for the cut) - and the manager sorted out the colour a week later - and said he was glad I had raised it than just go to a different salan.

I would go back.

HighburyHattie Thu 09-Nov-17 19:31:26

How weird.

Sometimes colour comes out dark at first then shows the true colour once you’ve washed it? But I’m guessing that’s not the case here

I would go to another salon - ombre isn’t that difficult and I don’t think it should take 3+ salon sessions for your desired end result, even if your hair is naturally dark. It’s all about the products and techniques. Ie olaplex and typical salon level bleaching products can allow your hair to be lifted dramatically whilst maintaining the condition of it. If you go to a better salon, they can probably deliver results closer to what you want

AlyTab Fri 10-Nov-17 11:21:05

That might be true, my hair does NOT feel like it has been bleached, making me think she put something else on my hair now. I think I'm gonna phone up and get them to fix it, and it better be free of charge because it's an expensive hair place. I do feel a bit bad though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now