Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm want to wear red lipstick, but whats good on the high street?

(28 Posts)
A1Sharon Thu 09-Nov-17 07:47:40

I have decided to be adventurous and try red lipstick for nights out this winter.I'd like to try a high street one first, and recommendations?
I'm cool toned, and would like a creamy finish, not dry or too matte.
Thanks!

BriocheBriocheBrioche Thu 09-Nov-17 07:48:33

I really rate the NYX lipsticks for value for money/staying power.

pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Thu 09-Nov-17 08:08:23

I regularly use a M & S lipstick ,the colour of which is just called Red.
Don't know if it's still available, as I can't see it on their website, but they have plenty of other reds, including a Joan Collins one which looks very glamorous.
You could go and try a few there.
For everyday ,I just apply it with my finger, so it's more of a stain.

Auldspinster Thu 09-Nov-17 08:48:58

Eden matte lipstick by NYX is a good true red as is Really Red by Revlon.

Timefortea99 Thu 09-Nov-17 08:54:28

Watching with interest. Also cool skinned so think I need a red with blue undertones. I quite like the look of Chanel Pirate but don't want to pay Chanel prices.

Kenworthington Thu 09-Nov-17 09:16:55

I like Mac lady danger

OCSockOrphanage Thu 09-Nov-17 09:17:34

Maybelline's Hollywood Red is a lovely soft red, with a slight blue undertone. In Superdrug, but mine's not new.

Erica891 Thu 09-Nov-17 10:10:51

NYX's collection are some of the best. My best friend gave me Maybelline's Red and must I say I'm loving the color too! smile

MadisonAvenue Thu 09-Nov-17 10:12:19

A red that I love is Mac Dangerous.

MadisonAvenue Thu 09-Nov-17 10:17:32

Should've added that I struggle to find a red lipstick which doesn't have a blue undertone, they don't suit me at all. Mac's Dangerous and Lady Danger (as mentioned by Kenworthington) are the only two I've found.

Bumblina Thu 09-Nov-17 10:20:18

Lady Danger by Mac. Get loads of compliments on this

A1Sharon Thu 09-Nov-17 11:18:29

Thank you! Have been googling images of all these smile.
The MAC ones look a little orangey?
I have made a note of all the suggestions and will head out tomorrow and have a good look. Was just going to a large Boots which does most of the high street ones, will save MAC for when next in town.
I did a quiz for 'find the perfect red lipstick for you'type thing and it came up with Max Factor Colour Elixir Chilli 853, which looks very promising!
Thanks again.

MusicToMyEars800 Thu 09-Nov-17 11:21:32

Another vote for NYX I love their lipsticks, also if you have a KIKO make up shop where you are have a look in there, They do lovely lipsticks.

Honeycake50 Thu 09-Nov-17 11:36:17

where did you do the quiz OP? I struggle. i have no idea what red looks good or what is blue undertone etc.

A1Sharon Thu 09-Nov-17 11:50:01

Hang on and I'll see if I can find it...

A1Sharon Thu 09-Nov-17 11:52:41

Here.

Honeycake50 Thu 09-Nov-17 11:58:18

Thank you very much OP, I am learning so much on this forum !

Sparkletastic Thu 09-Nov-17 12:07:09

MAC Russian Red or MAC Red are both cool toned reds. Great staying power too.

Sparkletastic Thu 09-Nov-17 12:10:10

Ha! Just did that quiz thingy and came up with MAC Russian Red. Feel totally vindicated in insisting to DH that it counts as a ‘staple toiletry item’ for expenditure purposes grin

A1Sharon Thu 09-Nov-17 12:10:13

That Russian Red looks amazing!

WhatIsGoingOnNow Thu 09-Nov-17 13:31:53

I think the best ranges for reds are
Rimmel (particularly the Kate Moss ones)
NYX will have a great range in finishes too
Revlon do a few and they seem popular

You need to see what undertone suits you- orange or blue.

NYX standalone shops or counters in Boots will have SA. Otherwise you could go to MAC and try out there and then find the equivalent elsewhere in shade.

Mac compared to something like Chanel isn't that expensive IIRC about £17?

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Thu 09-Nov-17 13:40:24

I find L'Oreal's Color Riche suits me, Rouge Sauvage which is No 343. It's around £7 but Superdrug have a 3 for 2 offer on some cosmetics.

district Thu 09-Nov-17 15:19:28

I have Lady Danger, Ruby Woo and Russian Red. The latter is better for nights out, and I wear the other two during the day.

MAC matte lipsticks have immense staying powers but they are also very drying, so if you go for one of those you’ll need a moisturising base underneath.

GrimDamnFanjo Thu 09-Nov-17 16:11:12

I have about a dozen reds. High street ones are Rimmels Kate moss range, Revlon and Nyx.

froomeonthebroom Thu 09-Nov-17 16:20:55

I bought a Morrisons own brand red lipstick for a fancy dress event. It was brilliant and stayed on all night. I liked it so much that I've since worn it for a normal night out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now