Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Impossible coat search anyone?

(26 Posts)

OK so I need a coat:
-waterproof, with a hood
-warm (I'm going to New York for Xmas and live in Scotland, seriously warm!)
-Ideally knee length or thereabouts (I live in dresses, even in winter)
-don't mind colour too much, muddy colours (olive, khaki, brown etc) don't suit me but I can wear most others. Winter skintone with fairly bright copper red hair.
-Wouldn't mind a bit of fur trimming but not a killer requirement

BUT
I'm around a size 16, with big boobs (32J) and an even bigger arse/hips/lower stomach - I have about a 15" waist to hip difference and boobs aren't much less than that. Kind of a lumpy hourglass! <I know, I sound fabulous right!>

This creates a problem as most of the properly cosy waterproof coats appear to have been drawn with a ruler. The coats I wear day to day are proper 'lady' coats with fuller, swirly skirts (skater/flared or A-line) which really suit me. Straight up and down doesn't as I end up having to go up sizes to accommodate my hips which means I look like a yeti.

The closest I have is a Happy Rainy Days coat from a couple of years ago but it's dying and their new ones don't look right at all.

Can anyone recommend a cosy coat, maybe even quilted or down filled, which accommodates tubby curves? Please?!?!

Nearlyadoctor Wed 08-Nov-17 20:06:10

I've recently bought a Lands End expedition Parka, extremely impressed with the quality. I wanted a coat to take to Finland that could deal with -20 in February but still use when I got home. Decent length, very warm, not too padded and generous in sizing. Apparently being American their sizing is always generous.
Waist can be adjusted according, good quality faux fur around the hood. Waterproof, just above the knee on me at 5'4 ( model must be tall). I have strawberry blonde hair and normally avoid red but didn't want black, so went for the red and it's fab!
Normally quite a few discount codes around as well.

www.landsend.co.uk/Womens_Expedition_Down_Coat/pp/P_38060.html?cgid=11299

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Wed 08-Nov-17 20:11:09

Just get a big Parker?
Like this? https://m.blacks.co.uk/product/black-didriksons-womens-nancy-parka/286723/

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Wed 08-Nov-17 20:13:01

Or this?
http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod107011_1000156707+RWP232+011_-1

MulhuddartDrive Wed 08-Nov-17 20:13:11

crag hoppers

Laska5772 Wed 08-Nov-17 20:19:20

Lands End are great but buy in the US .. much cheaper!! i bought from their US website and even with postage and customs it was cheaper..but if I were you I'd wait until you got there and go to Macys.

Macys btw do deliver here . I have bought from them , the good thing with them is that customs charges are paid before sending and its cheaper doing it that way ..

The problem with most parkas is that if they're big enough in the hip they're massive everywhere else; thing huge baggy chunk of extra fabric at the back, shoulders way down my arms, arms too long etc.

I've been in to most of the traditional outdoor places (Trespass/North Face/Blacks) and nothing I tried fitted at all sad

Lands end has a couple of options which I might try, thanks.

I did consider making day 1 in New York a coat shopping trip funnily enough...

lionsleepstonight Wed 08-Nov-17 22:51:38

I'm curvy and always able to get a good fit from Joules. Some of their coats are waterproof.

lionsleepstonight Wed 08-Nov-17 22:53:32

www.joules.com/Women/Jackets-Coats/Brodie/Waterproof-Jacket/Heritage-Green?id=X_BRODIE|HERTGRN

PopGoesTheWeaz Wed 08-Nov-17 23:03:40

The Lands End Chalet is more flattering than others of its kind, comes in various length. I wouldn't risk showing up and not having something with you or waiting for you.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 09-Nov-17 07:14:03

fjallraven

greystarling Thu 09-Nov-17 07:19:38

Seasalt. Best coat I ever had. It’s long but not bulky, warm in the right places and properly waterproof and wind proof. They have lost of types

hollyisalovelyname Thu 09-Nov-17 19:18:51

Joules Stormont is worth a look.
Or the SeaSalt Jonelle.

Thanks all

I've order some Lands' End ones from Debenhams along with a couple of random ones that looked like they had potential. I'll try to get along to Joules too if those don't work - the Stormont looks like it might have potential

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Fri 10-Nov-17 14:32:04

https://www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/waterproof-jackets-raincoats/rain-plus-size/fleece-lined-waterproof-womens-janelle-coat_black.htm

AnotherEmma Fri 10-Nov-17 18:52:46

Sorry to derail slightly but where do you get your smart/everyday coats from please? I'm a similar shape and I'd love a coat like the style you describe in your OP (A line or skater).

A few places AnotherEmma although there's not so many around this season.

I recently got the Liberty coat from DivaCatwalk (it's not thick, more of a heavy jersey but a good shape)
French connection have done lots although none this season (boo)
closet do some, like this
some of the "vintage" style places do nice flared coats which don't look too costumey; I've had success with collectif, here's one, and hellbunny
One of my favourites is from totty rocks

AnotherEmma Fri 10-Nov-17 20:01:25

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and links! I love that Totty Rocks coat, gorgeous.

Oldraver Sat 11-Nov-17 13:51:27

Oh I've just fallen for the Liberty coat in green..

Emma..Have a look for military style coats... they quite often have a flair similar to skater style. I have two Star, Julien MacDonald ones, though htie years aren't a s nice

EMP also have a few

I wish the Star range would use more of the nicer fabrics; they often do things that look nice style wise but are cheap shiny polyester and it's so disappointing! The coats and jackets tend to be better, I got a nice peplum military type jacket from there the other month.

I wish the Pandora on the EMP site was longer, it's lovely.

Jerseysilkvelour Sat 11-Nov-17 18:12:54

Seasalt plant hunter coat, hands down the best winter coat I've ever had. Snuggly, waterproof, breathable, good length. I have the same proportions as you (not same size but small waist big hips/bust) and it fits well because it has a drawstring at the waist. Love it so much!

Jerseysilkvelour Sat 11-Nov-17 18:14:08

https://www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/waterproof-jackets-raincoats/all-rain/plant-hunter-quilted-waterproof-raincoatlinoo_flowerlightt_metal.htm

Wickedstepmum67 Sat 11-Nov-17 18:17:46

Gudrun Sjoden often has excellent (if pricey) winter parkas, and sizes to cater for fabulous curves. As they are a Swedish company they do warm coats really well. Www.gudrunsjoden.com

In the end I went for the Joules Caldecott in the burgundy colour; I tried a few from Land's End but they were a bit snug around the lower hip which made me look rather pregnant side on! I don't think it was entirely a width issue though, I think they were too long in the body for me so the hip space was ending too high if that makes sense? I'm not especially short overall but I have relatively long legs with quite a short torso (which makes dealing with curves even more of a nightmare!) and I think the various body parts were in the wrong place on me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now