Talk

Advanced search

Cashmere Gift for Elderly Relative?

(22 Posts)
bunbon Wed 08-Nov-17 16:40:17

Hello everyone, just looking for some advice.

Unfortunately my partner's grandmother is not well and it's likely to be her last Christmas. He's been very upset trying to pick an appropriate gift and I'm trying to help, but it's hard because I've become very close to her too.

I thought perhaps she might appreciate a nice, high quality scarf and was thinking cashmere would be the way to go. I thought she might feel the cold quite badly over the next few months, though frankly nobody is sure exactly how much time she has. She isn't particularly fashion obsessed but she does dress stylishly and all the cashmere scarves I can find are quite plain, do you think this would be a boring gift or would you appreciate the softness and quality more than the design?

For background, I bought her a very nice quality blanket the Christmas before last and she was thrilled. My in-laws are lovely but tend to be "quantity over quality" people, where as his grandmother is more like me I think and enjoys getting one very lovely thing (we both hate clutter too!) She is still trying to get out and about as much as she can, so she does like dressing up a little. I'm just worried about getting it wrong I suppose.

I'm sorry if this sounds daft, I'm just very flustered and hate having to think about it really, but I don't want to rush and pick something "blah" either. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

jenandjess Wed 08-Nov-17 16:49:25

Something cashmere would be a lovely present but if she's u well and unlikely to be outside, would a cashmere jumper be an idea - lovely and soft against her skin and really warm.

I hope you can all enjoy her remaing time.

queenofarles Wed 08-Nov-17 17:38:12

I think a jumper or a cardi is better gift, My grandmother passed away this summer, and she loved anything cashmere . She used to wear cashmere cardigans at home all the time even when its warm outside,

SunnySomer Wed 08-Nov-17 17:41:47

My very elderly neighbour loves to wear layers of cashmere, I think it’s s brilliant idea.

CountFosco Wed 08-Nov-17 17:49:56

Cashmere bed socks might be appreciated if her circulation starts going.

CountFosco Wed 08-Nov-17 17:53:31

Generally small luxuries are the way to go, some chocolates, homemade biscuits, a nice CD or film or book depending on her taste, not necessarily all for Christmas, but just when you visit her.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Wed 08-Nov-17 17:55:18

Another vote for cashmere bed socks.

Laska5772 Wed 08-Nov-17 17:57:29

White Company cashmere bed socks.. the absolute business!! They are so fab , so light you can hardly feel them but so warm..

faustina Wed 08-Nov-17 18:03:10

Brora have some lovely printed cashmere scarves/wraps - beautiful colours

AuntyElle Wed 08-Nov-17 20:29:00

I think your idea is lovely.
A large scarf that doubles as a wrap would be especially luxurious, and White Company have one on sale: www.thewhitecompany.com/Large-Cashmere-Knitted-Scarf/p/LCCSC
Or Uniqulo cashmere is often well-reviewed: www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/cashmere-scarf-400358.html?bvstate=pg:2%2Fct:r

AuntyElle Wed 08-Nov-17 20:55:37

Or, depending on your budget, these heated faux fur throws are amazing: m.johnlewis.com/dreamland-relaxwell-deluxe-faux-fur-heated-throw-grey/p3099998

bunbon Thu 09-Nov-17 14:47:21

Thank you for all the responses, they really are very much appreciated. I'm just so scared of making a mess of the last holiday we'll all spend together I suppose, so it's been really helpful to get some opinions.

DP is really happy with the idea of something cashmere for her, he'd quite like to splash out a bit this year with her gift I think. It's very sad, but I'm also hoping we all have a fantastic Christmas this year.

I think the jumper is a really nice idea, or a large wrap, we'll probably end up going for one of those. I might get her some socks too because they sound like heaven!

Thank you for the brand suggestions too, I'd seen Brora and wondered what it was like, I've always wanted to buy something from The White Company because everything looks amazing. I'll have a good look at Uniqulo, I hadn't heard of them.

The heated throw looks like absolute bliss, it feels like it's going to be a very cold winter so that might be a good idea.

Sorry for the long post blush

FridgeCut Thu 09-Nov-17 14:48:11

www.turtle-doves.co.uk/ these are excellent!

AuntyElle Thu 09-Nov-17 15:03:51

If you're after some serious cashmere, OP, have a look at Johnston's of Elgin. eg www.johnstonscashmere.com/retail/accessories/stoles/cashmere-teal-gauzy-stole.html

I don't think White Company is actually good value for money (which is why I posted a reduced item). I've had quite a few pairs of their cashmere bed socks which have gone into holes so quickly, just from pottering from bed to bathroom. (everyone who recommends them not walk in them at all?)

moreismore Thu 09-Nov-17 15:08:31

Just to suggest something a bit different... I've just got a beautiful blanket scarf from www.collingwoodnorrisdesign.com. Super soft geelong lambswool and handmade in Scotland. There are several lovely colourways too.
I think cashmere bedsocks are a great ideal also!

AuntyElle Thu 09-Nov-17 15:12:05

* Does everyone

Minimonkeysmum Thu 09-Nov-17 15:20:06

Turtle doves are amazing - their wrist warmers are gorgeous, really soft and lovely colours. They also do scarves, neckwarmers and wraps.

https://www.turtle-doves.co.uk

Ifonlyiweretaller Thu 09-Nov-17 15:23:22

Funnily enough AuntyElle, I asked my sister the very same question yesterday! I bought her the White Co Cashmere socks last Christmas as she really suffers with cold feet, but was wary due to the reviews.

However she only puts them on when she physically gets into bed, so maybe only gets up once through the night and pads to her nearby bathroom and back. She loves them & says they keep her lovely and toastie.

Wormulonian Thu 09-Nov-17 19:31:14

I think that although cashmere socks are gorgeous they can actually be quite slippery if walking on wooden or stone flooring - just a thought. I also think a wrap or cardi is better for older people as jumpers can become difficult to wrangle with taking on and off.

Cashmere though is a great gift - my dad loves the cashmere scarf I bought him a few years back.

Hauntedlobster Thu 09-Nov-17 19:33:18

M and s have some lovely cashmere jumpers just now in gorgeous colourz

bathghter Thu 09-Nov-17 21:00:42

if you want really nice cashmere it’s brora. the white co is tat, uniqlo is for cheap stuff (you could tell the difference between a brora sweater and a uniqlo blindfolded!)

slimyslitheryslug Thu 09-Nov-17 22:10:53

Fingerless gloves may be an option too. A relative suffers from arthritis in his hands so I got some from Brora years ago and he subsequently asked for another pair as he lives in them from now until about March. The first pair were khaki green and the second pair burnt orange as they're outside my budget really so I had to go for the unpopular, reduced colours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now