Talk

Advanced search

Not really stylish or beautiful but can we talk thermals please?

(20 Posts)
ProperLavs Wed 08-Nov-17 16:37:59

I have a few thermal base layers and I don't think they are all that effective. They are probably cheapo crap. Has anyone got a brand that they can recommend? I don't do cold weather very well.

Oblomov17 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:39:44

M&S glittery black thermal top, long sleeved. I’ve got 3. Wearing one now. Fab-u-Lous.

misssmilla1 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:41:00

Uniqlo heat tech. They're wafer thin, and come in styles from a scrappy vest / camisole top up to a polo neck. They also do very thin leggings that are almost as thin as tights.

I've had them for the last 5 years; they last and wash well and are thin enough to get under a dress or tight jumper

Laska5772 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:44:52

silk thermals expensive but mine have lasted years .. I have 4 of these tops now and wear them everyday in winter under my work clothes in our freezing office.

Hippadippadation Wed 08-Nov-17 18:45:48

I was about to post this exact thread! Thanks for the recommendations. Interested in trying Uniqlo.

ZaraW Wed 08-Nov-17 18:48:05

Icebreaker merino wool thermals are excellent I used them in the Baltic's and Scandinavia in winter.

ProperLavs Thu 09-Nov-17 06:31:35

Thank you for for all your ideas. I really like the sound of the icebreaker but it's a bit to costly for me.
Seems like merino is the way to go.
The uniqlo has very mixed reviews doesn't it?

bingohandjob Thu 09-Nov-17 07:06:15

Uniqlo heattech are brilliant for every day winter wear. Icebreaker merino great for real cold snaps - I get mine on Sportpursuit when on offer as often half price.

Sarahjconnor Thu 09-Nov-17 07:10:44

I'm outside a lot and wear uniqlo every day. I order 3 new tops and bottoms a year and live in them October - march!

PepeLePew Thu 09-Nov-17 07:19:53

Uniqlo for the win! I have merino stuff for outdoor activities and it is excellent but the Uniqlo ones are terrific for work and being around the house. I’m wearing a long sleeved white one under a black cashmere jumper to work this morning and will be both smart and warm.

greyfriarskitty Thu 09-Nov-17 07:21:07

Another vote for uniqlo here! They now do an extra warm version too.

StepAwayFromCake Thu 09-Nov-17 07:32:38

Absolutely merino without a shadow of a doubt. And don't scrimp. They are worth every penny.

All the decent makes cost similar amounts, £50-£60 per piece for longs, less for shorties and vests. Keep an eye out for sales! Even Decathlon are not cheap. But good merino is non-scratchy, machine-washable and will last for years.

One of the huge advantages of pure merino is that you don't need to wash it after every wear, just air it. Also does not get sweaty or build up a static electricity charge.

Get wool socks, too. Something like 75% wool 25% nylon is better than 100% wool. Nylon makes the socks more hard-wearing.

ProperLavs Thu 09-Nov-17 15:01:39

I have just seen an alpaca base layer on sports pursuit-very tempted!

BeastOfCraggyIsland Thu 09-Nov-17 20:57:37

Look out for Icebreaker bargains in the sales, they are superb quality. I have a few Uniqlo heattech tops too and they are great for everyday wear in colder weather; they feel really nice on.

mercurymaze Thu 09-Nov-17 20:58:44

i love uniqlo they do also do a warmer version which is a little thicker

banivani Thu 09-Nov-17 20:58:52

Merino wool is the absolute best for warmth. No comparison.

Trailedanderror Thu 09-Nov-17 21:17:29

I love uniqlo, but I saw some thermals in Primark today which I'm going to investigate. V cheap- £5 for a along sleeved top.

ProperLavs Fri 10-Nov-17 15:19:24

OK, i’ll See if I can get a bargain ice breaker!

Apileofballyhoo Fri 10-Nov-17 15:24:01

If you have an Aldi near you, keep an eye out for merino thermals there. Got some for DH years ago and they are still going strong. Can be washed at 40, which is handy.

ProperLavs Fri 10-Nov-17 16:55:28

grr, they hd some in Aldi a couple of weeks ago!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: