Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

80s curls

(26 Posts)
Dustbunny1900 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:22:37

Was watching hellraiser and admiring the hair of Ashley Laurence..my hair is very very thick/full/coarse but it's more wavy than curly.
I'm also low maintenence , what's an easy way of encouraging curls? Think sleeping with braids will do it? I'm planning on getting layers to encourage curls, a diffuser for hairdryer, but what kind of product would you recommend?

And do you guys think curls are more aging than straight hair?

Mulberrysilk Wed 08-Nov-17 15:25:16

For 80s curls, mouse, scrunch drying and an afro comb were state of the art.

Dustbunny1900 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:25:59

Here's some more for reference

Dustbunny1900 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:26:36

What do you do with the "Afro comb"? Just tease?

EsmeWeatherwax Wed 08-Nov-17 15:36:11

For proper curls, mousse although I use a tiny bit of boots curl creme too. Diffuser, and don’t touch it once it’s dry, or, indeed, while you are drying it. No need for scrunching if your hair is wavy it should curl with the diffuser anyway. I only comb mine with a wide toothed comb when it’s wet, otherwise never touch it with a comb or brush. I’ve given in to my 80’s curly hair, it just looks like that anyway, so I go with it now rather than trying to straighten it or whatever.

EsmeWeatherwax Wed 08-Nov-17 15:37:36

And I’m 45 for reference, my hair is just past shoulder length, layered, really thick. I don’t think it’s aging at all!

EsmeWeatherwax Wed 08-Nov-17 15:40:35

My hair....

WomblingThree Wed 08-Nov-17 15:55:43

80s hair involved a shit ton of product. I used handfuls of mousse and blow dried upside down, then ran my hands through and scrunched while blasting with hairspray.

Dustbunny1900 Wed 08-Nov-17 17:36:36

Yea I definitely don’t want “crunch” or stiffness , just lots of fullness!
Love your hair esme , what’s your routine?
I remember having good luck with mixing water and “shea moisture curl conditioner” in a spray bottle and spraying hair when it lost some of its curl

YouWereRight Wed 08-Nov-17 17:55:37

I'm very tempted to have a perm. I'd bloody love proper disco curls, but my hair is wavy at the back and straight at the front.

poisonedbypen Wed 08-Nov-17 17:57:25

Look up the curly girl method. There is a Facebook group I think

Hairq Wed 08-Nov-17 18:30:03

What am I doing wrsuppose no with diffusers? I've tried a couple of different ones over the years and all they do is make my hair look either greasy and lank with over defined curls or really really dry and frizzy. I've tried no product, mousse, curl cream and serum and get the same effect every time (its worst with mousse though). My hair is thin but has lots of volume and is naturally between curly and wavy but never looks nice so I straighten it.

Hairq Wed 08-Nov-17 18:30:20

*wrong

afrikat Wed 08-Nov-17 18:48:51

The curly girl method should help! It can be a bit confusing to begin with but the basic premise is to avoid all products with sulfates and silicone, 'wash' with conditioner instead of shampoo (you just scrub your scalp lots and lots) and never use a brush or towel on your hair - untangle with a wide tooth comb in the shower and scruch with an old t shirt.
If you join the curly girls fb group there is loads of info in there

TricksyLiesmith Wed 08-Nov-17 19:20:51

Curly girl wii sort you out if your is natural . My is fantastic since I started this .and no way 80s !!!!

I'm on a FB group too called conditioner washing which has been really helpful

Hairq Wed 08-Nov-17 21:39:51

Curly girl method doesn't work for me. I think it's because I don't have much hair - it makes it look all stringy and horrible. It seems to work really well for people who have lots of hair though.

Dustbunny1900 Wed 08-Nov-17 22:10:22

Oh man, I have a greasy scalp, it won’t make my hair lank and flat? Condish washing, that is.

Hairq, the way I’ve used an infuser is I turn it on cool and just kinda support the wet curls and twirl them in the teeth of the diffuser a bit as it dries..vs a regular hair dryer where I support the curls with my hand or dry it upside down.

Do they still do perms?

Dustbunny1900 Wed 08-Nov-17 22:10:51

*diffuser, sorry 😆

Gingernaut Wed 08-Nov-17 22:17:08

The 80s was the decade of the perm. confused

Shaggy perm 😲

Permed wedge

Permed bob

BeastOfCraggyIsland Wed 08-Nov-17 22:31:27

I follow the CG method too and it works well for my long, naturally very curly hair. My staple products are Tresemme Perfectly Undone conditioner, Noughty Wave Hello conditioner, Umberto Giannini Curl Jelly and Boots curl mousse (pink tin). I wash it every 3rd day, letting it air dry afterwards. I sleep on a satin pillowcase with it pulled up on top of my head with a soft scrunchie and use a conditioner/water spritz to refresh in the mornings. I don't think curls are ageing at all, it's the opposite for me anyway.

TricksyLiesmith Thu 09-Nov-17 21:13:52

Wow @BeastOfCraggyIsland you use the same routine as me . The umberto gianni curl gel has been a revelation. Looks ridiculous whilst drying but scrunchea out to give nicest soft defined curls .

Bestbees Fri 10-Nov-17 07:25:06

My hair. Achieved by co washing with garnier ultimate blends, scrubching more of the same and occasionally washing with loreal low shampoo. Comb through with hands when conditioner is in. No heat and no brushing. I often swim in the evening and go to bed with it wet tied up in a high messy bun and it is fine. Use the same conditioner on dry hair too (sparingly!)

Dustbunny1900 Fri 10-Nov-17 21:46:44

Your curls are very defined and lustrous bestbees!

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 11-Nov-17 07:07:37

I use No Blow Dry cream. Run through damp hair, scrunch a bit and leave. Brilliant stuff.

hendricksyousay Sat 11-Nov-17 17:41:03

I have her hair ( but blonde ) , I’ve had it forever because well that’s what my hair does . I’m always being told I don’t look my age . I think the curls make me look younger . I have my hair balayage so it doesn’t look quite like Children’s hair but if the curls are well kept and styled it won’t make you look older .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now