Talk

Advanced search

If you are a size 14 (just) and short (under 5 2) WHAT are you wearing!

(14 Posts)
paddlingwhenIshouldbeworking Wed 08-Nov-17 14:36:58

I have put on a lot of weight in the last few years (after having twins in my 40s) and I just cannot dress for this shape. I see other women looking lovely whatever their size but I'm just unable to manage it. I have a naturally curvy shape so definitely hips and boobs which was hard enough to manage just being short but with the extra weight and stomach making me round rather than curvy I'm totally stuck.

Everything in the shops is so skinny and my legs look like enormous drumsticks. My stomach sticks out so I don't get the nice flow from the baggy tops as my stomach hits them.

I'm just feeling dumpy and frumpy in very old, overly tight clothes or giant shape hiding cardigans. I've lost a stone recently but its not made a great difference yet (no-one has noticed!) and will lose the rest but what to buy to get me out of this rut.

I look best in dresses and heels and have lots of them but I'm currently having a career break and feel really overdressed and self conscious as everyone around me is wearing skinny jeans, gorgeous loose jumpers and a parka/puffer.

Appuskidu Wed 08-Nov-17 14:39:29

What sort of dresses do you have/wear/suit you?

I wear dresses all the time-just with boots and not heels. You don't have to wear trousers if you prefer dresses!

PetiteMarseillaise Wed 08-Nov-17 16:29:18

Snap, I'm 5ft 2" and between a size 12 or 14. I do wear a lot of dresses though - I have several v casual Whistles ones similar to this.

I have some Topshop Jamie jeans, but I'm currently looking for some non-skinny jeans that would suit my shape and height.

At the momentI'm really enjoying my Jigsaw wrap leather skirt with a slim fitting top - I wear it with opaque tights and Vans or boots.

I tend to avoid drapey tops otherwise I end up with a matronly bosom hmm

Would you be comfy in a wide-legged trouser / swishy skirt + slim fitting top combo? I find that's a flattering silhouette on some figures, if you want a change from the skinny jeans shape.

Caulk Wed 08-Nov-17 16:32:21

5’2 and a size 12. I wear tea dresses with boots most days. Today I’m wearing a body con tube skirt and a jumper, yesterday I wore an a line denim skirt with calf high boots.

I think it depends on where your weight is, I found it harder when my weight was on my stomach.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Wed 08-Nov-17 17:32:12

Me. I've put quite a lot of weight on in the past year due to medication, and I'm just beginning to enjoy clothes again after feeling fat and horrible for a while.

Agree that wide legged trousers or swishy skirts with more fitted tops can be good. I can also still work a pencil skirt or even a mini skirt, as my legs are still decent.

I still wear tube skirts and still like them a lot, either knee length or short. I've been wearing them with a semi fitted t-shirt and a jacket, or with a slouchier v neck jumper. Ditto skinny jeans.

I wore a couple of Boden ruched dresses on repeat throughout the summer (although they were too thick for really warm days) and I'm also enjoying wearing them now with opaques, boots and a biker jacket, or even with fishnets and trainers. They are clingy, but with sucker-inner knickers, they are fine.

I've also been enjoying wearing black cotton culottes - now it's cooler, I've been wearing them with fishnets and trainers, but I haven't managed to find a winter-proof way of wearing them for work yet.

I really, really want a leather skirt but haven't yet found one I love at a price I'm prepared to pay.

In fact, I actually think I'm being more adventurous and less concerned now, because previously I aimed to seem slim (I was actually v slim) but now I know I'm 'fatter' so I can accept that there will inevitably be a few lumps, if that makes any kind of sense!

My biggest concern is my bust, but it always has been!

lionsleepstonight Wed 08-Nov-17 22:42:29

I wear lots of jersey dresses from Next, boden and joules. I find anything that draws in at the waist most flattering then pair with knitted cotton tights. Finish off with small heeled ankle boots gives me a casual enough look. I'd love to do the skinny jeans, jumper Parker look, but just look dumpy and fat(ter).

paddlingwhenIshouldbeworking Fri 10-Nov-17 19:44:34

Thank you all! Sorry i didn't reply. I had a DC sent home with D&V bug just after posting.

I think I have to accept I enjoy looking smart! DH stayed home with poorly DC today and I went out to an appointment - not one that warranted dressing up but anyway I wore a lovely dress and red felt coat and gorgeous boots. I felt so good and kept sneaking glimpses at my reflection and I never do that! I guess I want this feeling all the time. Instead I mooch around in clothes that really don't flatter me at all but I wear to stop people commenting on my clothes.

Can't do wide legs. I can see why this would work for some but my legs are short short and my body quite normal which is why dresses work, can't really tell how short the legs are.

Think I will explore flat boots to downplay the dressing up. I do need that bit of lift though to give me a bit of swish (having said that I bought some new boots on the way home today with a big block heel...oops). Feel dumpy as soon as I put on the flats.

Maybe I need to post about boots with a think soul to give me an inch or so without being a 'heel'.

lionsleepstonight Fri 10-Nov-17 19:49:06

I cant do flats either, I'm am perpetually on a hunt for mid heel boots to go with my frocks.the ones I have I wear to death!

paddlingwhenIshouldbeworking Fri 10-Nov-17 19:53:10

Good to know I'm not the only one. My search for mid heel was a fail today.

Don't know what boots with a 'think soul' are, sounds a bit more meaningful than the thick soul I meant!

MoreProseccoNow Fri 10-Nov-17 19:59:04

I’m about the same size & shape. I swear by M&S per Una Roma straight jeans - they are high waisted & hold my pot belly in, whilst balancing my parsnip legs.

I like some of the stuff in Pepperberry just now; nice flattering tops with knot/twist/ruched details at the bust.

I usually like White Stuff, Fat Face etc but am not liking their stuff the last two seasons or so.

paddlingwhenIshouldbeworking Fri 10-Nov-17 20:04:17

Will have a look at the Per Una jeans. Also used to have quite a bit of Fat Face but White Stuff always seems to be made for those tall, strong, formidable types who can totally carry off a large shapeless curtain and look fantastic!

MoreProseccoNow Fri 10-Nov-17 20:40:20

The best M&S jeans are the £35-45 price bracket; they really hold their stretch.

Yes, I’m finding White Stuff clothes suit tall willowy types & can seem very boxy. My pet hate is 3/4 length sleeves, which make my bust seem huge.

I like Seasalt too, but there’s not a local stockist, and I need to try things on before buying, what with my odd shape an’ all.

PlaymobilPirate Fri 10-Nov-17 20:51:09

I'm heading towards a 14 (from a biggish 16) so I'm watching this with interest. I hate clothes shopping and tend to wear skinnies, crap top and pretty scarf but feel scruffy and need ideas too!

Timefortea99 Fri 10-Nov-17 21:02:25

I am a largish 12 - down from size 16 recently. 5 foot 1.5 inches. Tiny waste, smallish hips, chunky thighs, large bust, chunky calves. Small frame,dainty wrists, ankles, shoulder bones. I looked okay is summer - lots of crop trousers, fitted tops but not overly clingy. I am struggling in the colder weather. For work, black trousers, vest tops, cardigans in various shades. Off duty, thin jumpers and the aforementioned Per Una jeans. I look a proper frump. I have decided to just be frumpy because everything I try on just looks wrong. I's depressing. But I want to lose another stone. So I am going to save up and emerge in the spring, slimmer with a wardrobe of great spring/summer clothes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: