Talk

Advanced search

Just discovered Bravissimo and I'm so happy

(21 Posts)
iismum Tue 07-Nov-17 18:17:11

I've never paid much attention to Bravissimo because my boobs aren't that big (even though they clearly say in their shop window they're from D up). I have a really narrow back - my bra size is 28F - and I have real trouble getting bras in my size. I usually wear 30E because it's the best I can get, and even then there are usually only a couple of the most simple styles. On a whim, I popped into Bravissimo the other day and asked if they had any bras in 28F. The woman disappeared behind the door and reappeared with 15 bras, saying that that was just a selection and I could try others if I wanted. For the first time in my life I can choose a bra that actually fits based on a style I like and not just on it being the only bra in the shop that even slightly fits. Hoorah! Just wanted to share the good news ...

IrritatedUser1960 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:24:47

Amazing, I didN'T know they did bras that small (28).

LoveProsecco Tue 07-Nov-17 18:33:38

I would never get measured or buy underwear anywhere else!

Ebb Tue 07-Nov-17 18:58:41

I love Bravissimo! Great fit and lovely styles.

greystarling Tue 07-Nov-17 19:02:40

I’m a 28F too. Bravissimo is brilliant, but expensive

homebird86 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:18:57

I used to work for Bravissimo - Marketing Dept.

Their sizing IS a marketing ploy, generally you will find you gain a slimmer back size and a larger cup after getting measured there.

Any other high street service will measure you way "off".

They do carry "fringe" sizes to support this, but part of this "instilling confidence" in women and making them feel more understood, and unable to find these sizes anywhere else;

A) Keeping you loyal to the brand as you can't find your "new" size anywhere else

B) You then having to pay over the odds for the privilege (margin for Bravissimo is 90-100%)

Bombardier25966 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:27:49

Any other high street service will measure you way "off".

I measure the same in every high street store.

I find what I want in Bravissimo and then buy it cheaper online.

iismum, have a look at Belle Lingerie, they currently have 32 bras in a 28F (some different colours of the same bra). They're almost always cheaper than Bravissimo.

museumum Tue 07-Nov-17 19:34:25

Homebird - bravissimo Sell bra brands you can buy elsewhere though. I like them for trying on styles but also buy similar online at figleaves. So I don't see how customers feel trapped into going back there always?

homebird86 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:44:08

They do wholesale other brands, but the training and positioning of the brand is to generally promote positive body image by issuing a new size.

Many brands use this, amongst other things - positive semantics through POS, store lighting, music, language.

Bravissimo for me was the one brand that disappointed me when learning the branding and almost manipulating their market share.

Especially when so many women are insecure about their bodies.

If the brand makes you happy - continue, their strategy certainly works.

JuneFromBethesda Tue 07-Nov-17 20:03:53

the training and positioning of the brand is to generally promote positive body image by issuing a new size

Or, in other words, they measure you correctly - unlike for example M&S. I was wearing a 36D before I first went to Bravissimo, where I measured as a 32F. The first size was wrong - the bras didn't fit me. The second size was right. In my new size I can, and do, buy bras from Freya, Panache, Fantasie, Wonderbra, as well as Bravissimo. They fit me. How is this a marketing ploy?

I don't often buy from Bravissimo, as it happens, because as Bombardier says you can buy last season bras cheaper from discount lingerie websites. But I do still buy from them, and it's not because I've been duped by a clever marketing strategy, but because they come up with a style I like, or an unusual colour.

I will admit to a lingering fondness for Bravissimo for historical reasons - before Bravissimo started you could barely find a single bra above an E cup on the high street, or in attractive styles/colours. Bravissimo was the first company to change that.

Bombardier25966 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:43:44

Promoting a positive body image is surely a good thing, whether it be done for profit or otherwise.

I got some swimwear from Bravissimo, and my low self esteem was evident to the assistant. She made the point that you make more of a display of yourself by wearing a t shirt in the pool, trying to hide what is evident as soon as you get in the water, than just getting on with it and wearing your costume alone. I don't care if it was marketing talk, she was spot on.

(And she phrased it far better than I have!)

NotMeNoNo Tue 07-Nov-17 21:21:40

I'm sure they have marketing strategies like all companies but they were the first chain to offer proper fitting and a decent choice in DD+. There are stacks of online retailers of course, but if you can get to a shop you save a lot of postage. Even Asda have a DD+ range now so I guess they have to push their USP.

iismum Tue 07-Nov-17 21:52:56

I don’t agree that it’s just a marketing ploy - I’ve always measured 28F in other shops (except M&S where they’re crap at measuring), it’s just that they can’t provide the bras. They didn’t measure me in Bravissimo and tell me I had an amazing new size, I just asked for bras in my size and they clearly fitted me much better than the larger back bras I normally have to get.

They were quite expensive, but I was so happy to get a choice of well-fitting bras I didn’t mind that much. Also, they do a ‘buy 10 get 1 free’ loyalty deal, which helps a bit.

iismum Tue 07-Nov-17 21:53:25

But I’ll look into the other place people mentioned - thanks for the suggestions!

MayorGoodway Tue 07-Nov-17 21:55:29

My friends works for bravissimo and they are a lovely company to work for. Plus, they get a 50% friends and family discount on everything (not helpful, I’m just showing off!)

EnidButton Wed 08-Nov-17 00:22:52

I was wearing the wrong size bra for years until I got measured in a Bravissimo shop. I’m 28FF and I think I was wearing a 34C (can’t quite remember but it involved quad boobs and lots of readjusting throughout the day.) Their measurements match my own when I’ve used the bra intervention method of measuring, and 28FF bras fit me properly. No bulges or digging in or gaps or moving around. So to say, or at least imply, that they dupe women into wearing a wrong size is wrong in my experience.

Figleaves and Debenhams do quite a few 28Fs iis. Online rather than in store but the return process is easy enough.

redfish18 Wed 08-Nov-17 01:06:32

I’m confused. Measuring correctly isn’t an exclusive Bravissimo marketing ploy... it’s just the correct way to measure? confused

SpoonfulOfJam Wed 08-Nov-17 08:34:39

I love Bravissimo. I remember buying maternity bras from there and having a little cry- from joy! It was quick, easy and my gargantuan boobs were finally supported. Really rate their staff and their stock.

I'm now losing weight, and my prebaby 34e bras are feeling a bit loose in the cup. I'm wandering if I can move away from bravissimo, as they are so expensive. Maybe attempt Debenhams?

thethoughtfox Wed 08-Nov-17 08:52:03

I love it. I bought some of their simple tops / jumpers with a bit of stretch that I had always thought as they weren't tailored blouses, it was a con and I could just size up elsewhere. But I immediately look like I have lost weight as soon as I put them on.

nickEcave Wed 08-Nov-17 12:14:23

Don't go to Debenhams spoon - they use the same methods as M &S. Got measured there as 36c when I'm actually 32FF. I'm afraid I don't really understand the point the former Marketing person for Bravissimo is making. Fair enough she may think their branding is a bit of a con and the stock overpriced but the fact is that they measure correctly where most of the department stores (with the exception of Selfridges) do not! I spent years in 36c bras and got quite bad neck and shoulder pain as a result of being completely unsupported. I now always get measured at Bravissimo but will often buy from brastop online which is very cheap if you don't mind garish colours.

SpoonfulOfJam Wed 08-Nov-17 17:36:20

I might do that then- get measured and buy elsewhere.

I've never bought their clothes, always a bit pricey. I used to hate how tops that fit round my bust were loose around my slim waist. Now I'm glad they don't cling to my mum tum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now