Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Usual engagement/wedding rings?

(18 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Herschellmum Tue 07-Nov-17 09:17:48

Perhaps not what would you do, but that would you buy.

We were burgled and unfortunately every single piece of jewellery I own was taken, including my engagement ring and wedding ring. Insurance has now issues a voucher to replace items, although a lot was irreplaceable. Anyway, I’m allowed to use it anyway I see fit, but have to use goldsmiths the company, I believe they can make stuff for me, or they can make a replica engagement ring etc.

Thing is we discussed it and feel like it would be better to go very different as I don’t want it being a reminder, so instead of a classic platinum single diamond ring, I want different.

Two questions/requests

1, inspire me with what you would buy, Or what you have! Bonus if it’s from goldsmiths but I can take a cash option, however will effectively lose over £2000 by doing that.
2, the engagement ring I do like is really really fancy, very very different from my usual classic style, and I’m wondering if it would be odd to just wear that. I don’t really want to take Away form the ring by adding more if that makes sense? Although in reality I still need to spend the money so no idea what I would get if I didn’t. But, I’m a less is more kind of person. I’m married 10 years with 4 kids, I really don’t care if people think, “oh she isn’t married” but equally would it be odd? Does it matter?

I guess I should state, I am not particularly girly, I don’t tend to wear jewellery (hence why it was all at home), but I do like things that are a bit different or unusual.

Herschellmum Tue 07-Nov-17 14:51:34

No one?

MayFayner Tue 07-Nov-17 14:54:37

Could you give a link / photo of the kind of thing you're looking for?

Also- perhaps if you ask MN to move this thread over to the Stule and Beauty topic there might be more replies. Lots of jewellery buffs over there smile

Herschellmum Tue 07-Nov-17 15:14:02

Ok, thanks that’s the ring I have seen that I really like .... Very different from my usual style. I’ll try and upload a similar style of my previous one too.

Herschellmum Tue 07-Nov-17 15:15:02

That’s the style of my old ring. But it was a little bigger and was platinum.

BritInUS1 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:19:58

I would go for something you really liked and could imagine wearing every day instead of what you think you should have.

I replaced my engagement ring this year and went for a large orange spessartine garnet set in platinum. Very different to what I had before but I love it.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 07-Nov-17 15:25:12

We're just sending this over to style and beauty at the OP's request.

flowers

Rainatnight Tue 07-Nov-17 15:26:05

It wouldn't be that surprising if you felt like you wanted something different from the engagement ring you got a decade ago. Obviously, we love them forever because they're sentimental, but now that you've got to change yours, no reason not to go for something different.

Merrynsmummy Tue 07-Nov-17 17:57:20

To be honest any high st jeweller will be overpriced. You say you'll lose 2k... Id be more inclined to look at it as you'll get a much nicer ring if you went elsewhere... essentially that ring is probably at least 1k over the price you'd pay to get a properly lovely ring made.

BubblesBuddy Tue 07-Nov-17 19:18:03

Quite honestly I would argue for the full amount of money you insured for and look for secondhand. I challenged this voucher business when I lost a large pearl earring. They couldn’t match the existing one. It was a nightmare. I got the money in the end for a pair of earrings and they didn’t come from Goldsmiths! Secondhand buy so much more for your money. Looking on line would give you ideas.

Argue and get the full value you were insured for. No reduction of £2000! It’s a disgrace and they are cheating you. Just because they have a tie up to put business Goldsmiths way, you don’t have to accept this sharp practice. If your ring was insured for £5000, say, that’s what you get!

KungFuEric Tue 07-Nov-17 19:31:37

It's a pretty ring but seems overpriced for having the designer name. Agree with pp about getting the full value of your insurance

Chasingsquirrels Tue 07-Nov-17 19:33:17

This is mine, I love it.

Herschellmum Tue 07-Nov-17 20:14:18

Thanks ladies. To be honest I didn’t expect that much. But they state if I take cash it’s £2100 less which may be due to my insurance limit. I must be really close to it. Nothing was specifically insured. I’ll certainly questioning it tomorrow though. Thanks

BritInUS1 Thu 09-Nov-17 19:21:53

Chasing Squirrels I love that, where is it from please?

Chasingsquirrels Thu 09-Nov-17 19:52:06

@BritInUS1
It's actually an American company (which based on your user name might suit you)
Earth ink{https://www.brilliantearth.com/Leaves-and-Buds-Diamond-Ring-White-Gold-BE2N3FD6R10/\www.brilliantearth.com/Leaves-and-Buds-Diamond-Ring-White-Gold-BE2N3FD6R10]]/}

Chasingsquirrels Thu 09-Nov-17 19:56:08

Try again
www.brilliantearth.com/Leaves-and-Buds-Diamond-Ring-White-Gold-BE2N3FD6R10/

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 09-Nov-17 20:53:46

I'd speak to a few independent jewellers and see what they have an agreement in place with insurers. Goldsmith's commission cost is extremely high- so even with the lesser amount of money you could still end up with a better buy from a talented jeweller.

It annoys me so much that insurance companies get kickbacks for lining up with the big companies.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 09-Nov-17 20:59:37

Sorry- just to explain- if you take vouchers for the insurers preferred suppliers then you get the full amount. The supplier gets the business but pays a stipend to the insurer for the privilege of being 'preferred'.

Smaller and independent jewellers can have agreements in place with insurers but obviously cannot afford to pay massive balances to insurers. We have to pay 10% of the total spend to the insurer which can be a lot of money when you have reasonable pricemargins/aren't conning the fuck out of people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: