Talk

Advanced search

A challenge...casual tops with a bit of 'something' about them

(26 Posts)
mrsthomasshe1by Mon 06-Nov-17 20:24:06

Please can you help me find some casual tops to wear with jeans & under a jumper in the winter. I must be really fussy because despite extensive searching I have drawn a compete blank!

Requirements are as follows:
Ideally natural fabric or high percentage of, not MMF
Longish in body, fitted/semi-fitted
Long sleeves
Not a shirt because I wear them to work every day
Not heavily patterned, and don't particularly want striped either I don't think
Not frilly or ruffled

I think what I'm really after are long sleeved stretch tops with a bit of detail or 'something' to make them different from a bog standard tee shirt - i.e. buttons on sleeve, zip on neck.

Anyone seen anything like that around? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mercurymaze Mon 06-Nov-17 20:25:34

was going to say baukjen but they don't really do details such as buttons or zips really,

french connection is good

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 06-Nov-17 20:25:46

Have you tried Fatface? They have some lovely ones with a teeny bit of detail.

I'll try to link, but it's been a while 😬

onalongsabbatical Mon 06-Nov-17 20:28:39

Fatface women's tops - I just happened by...
www.fatface.com/clothing/tops+t-shirts/icat/womenstops#resultTotal=24

mrsthomasshe1by Mon 06-Nov-17 20:30:46

Thanks mercury & chaos. Will look at both Baukjen and Fat Face. They don't necessarily have to have embellishment, I suppose I want tops that will look nice with jumper on or off, not just for layering underneath if that makes sense? I've got lots of layering ones that are great under a jumper but either look very boring worn on their own, or unflattering as you can see every lump & bump. Think I am searching for the Holy Grail!

AnnaNimmity Mon 06-Nov-17 20:31:37

actually, this Baukjen top is very nice -(in black/navy) and flattering. Sorry no buttons etc, but still a little bit different. I wear it to work with jeans.

There's usually a 20% off or more voucher.

mrsthomasshe1by Mon 06-Nov-17 20:33:39

Thanks onalong. This is along the right lines... possibly not quite fitted enough if I'm being really picky..
www.fatface.com/tops+t-shirts/harper-star-embroidered-top/invt/928312#ff_colour=Phantom

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 06-Nov-17 20:35:00

http://www.fatface.com/tops+t-shirts/phoebe-geo-weave-popover/invt/927487#ff_colour=Deep%20Teal

These type are lovely with a bit of interest added by the way it's cut at the hips. Iyswim?

mrsthomasshe1by Mon 06-Nov-17 20:35:34

That's very nice Anna. Possibly a bit short in body for me? Am 5'8".

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 06-Nov-17 20:37:02

Ooh mrs! Hadn't spotted that one, but fits VERY well with my current star phase.

Tyvm

mrsthomasshe1by Mon 06-Nov-17 20:38:04

Thanks chaos, love the colour of that one, not sure the style is quite what I'm after though. Think I'd like more fitted.

mrsthomasshe1by Mon 06-Nov-17 20:39:05

grin Pleased to have been of service!

AnnaNimmity Mon 06-Nov-17 20:39:52

mrsthomas I am long-bodied and 5'9 and it fits me perfectly. I have it in navy and black.

I've just ordered a couple of tops from Me and Em too (to wear with Jeans) - have you looked there?

mrsthomasshe1by Mon 06-Nov-17 20:42:00

That's good to know Anna, thank you. I do like Me & Em and have quite a bit of knitwear from there, so will have a look now. Which tops have you ordered if you don't mind me asking?

Jeffers3 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:42:44

www.oliverbonas.com/fashion/top-obscure-wide-sleeve-53964#selection=color:Navy__425;size:8__1970

This in real is really lovely, heavy material. I saw it yesterday and been thinking about it ever since. The sleeves aren't as wide as the description would allow you to think.

littleredpear Mon 06-Nov-17 20:44:19

Cos?

Lots of baggy but some gems

https://www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Tops/Texturedjacquardd_top/46885-78637237.1#c-24479

https://www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Tops/AsymmetricV-neckk_top/46885-77575312.1#c-24479

Themummy76 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:45:25

H and m have a wide variety of nice long sleeved tops with a few buttons at the top that look a bit like shirts

mrsthomasshe1by Mon 06-Nov-17 20:45:59

Oooh Jeffers that one is lovely, thank you. Is it top material or heavier like a sweatshirt? Have never bought from Oliver Bonas before.

mrsthomasshe1by Mon 06-Nov-17 20:48:46

Thanks littleredpear. I really like Cos - like you say sometimes a bit shapeless but some amazing things too. Need to have a proper look.

Thanks TheMummy, we've got an H&M locally but only a little one so I'll have a browse and see if I can find those online.

AnnaNimmity Mon 06-Nov-17 20:55:24

sorry my PC playing up so can't do links. Here are the tops - I've ordered the luxe rib v neck, the scoop back long sleeve tee and also something called the Perfect button cuff crew neck in Merlot. The rib polo neck looks nice too but I thought I'd better be a little bit sensible grin. (I may have also ordered a blouse or two)

Jeffers3 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:55:27

I'm really bad at describing materials but it's really thick and heavy, looks a little like a sweater but is kind of spongy(?!). It's quite luxurious, heavy material and looks like it would keep its shape and wash well.
Oliver Bonas is great! Can be a bit pricey but often it's justified. They do loads of simple, classic stuff that has an interesting element.

onalongsabbatical Mon 06-Nov-17 21:02:03

QVC might be worth a look - although some of their stuff is vile and lots is polyester - the Artscapes brand are all 100% cotton - I have this one in the blue and I wear it a lot.
www.qvcuk.com/Artscapes-Sharkbite-Hem-Printed-Tunic.product.164608.html?sc=NAVLIST

onalongsabbatical Mon 06-Nov-17 21:03:51

Sorry I forgot you said not heavily patterned - the blue is a very mild pattern, though, if you see what I mean.

Passthecake30 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:05:41

Marking place as I'm all striped out!
Loving some of these but wow, those tops from Me & Em are pricey shock

AnnaNimmity Mon 06-Nov-17 21:08:55

oh dear, yes they are. In my defence, I wear jeans to work and also like to wear them on dates (in fact, black jeans are my staple look).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now