Talk

Advanced search

I've got a proper, grown up job and need an entire work wardrobe. Have no idea! Help!

(23 Posts)
LecturingLife Mon 06-Nov-17 17:16:03

Got a job as a university lecturer.

I currently dress either in jeans/jeggings or gym gear.

So I seriously need to sort myself out. I've never had a job before where I've had to look smart.

I don't like trousers so would prefer skirts/tops or dresses. I need flat, smart shoes as will have a lot of walking to do. I need a warm winter coat as will have a long walk to the uni.

So today I visited Joules, sea salt, white stuff and didn't see anything I liked. I tried on a white stuff dress actually and did like the cut/style. here but thought the gold spots all over made it look a bit like a wizards outfit?

I quite liked this in sea salt but thought maybe it was too casual? Not sure a tunic and leggings is appropriate?

Any words of wisdom of brands to try and/or links to actual stuff?

LarryUnderwood Mon 06-Nov-17 17:17:46

Are you based in or near London or another large city? What’s your budget?

Fekko Mon 06-Nov-17 17:18:46

What are you lecturing? I'd expect a business lecturer to be smarter than a design one. well different anyway.

LecturingLife Mon 06-Nov-17 17:20:19

Nursing.

Am near Birmingham.

bleughhh Mon 06-Nov-17 17:21:32

Hmm - all good questions! Personally, I stay away from Joules and White Stuff and look at Whistles or & Other Stories... but it depends on your 'style'.

bleughhh Mon 06-Nov-17 17:21:56

And Congratulations!! (Sorry!)

Fekko Mon 06-Nov-17 17:23:58

I'd start with a plain black skirt (m&s will do) and some nice shirts. Once you have been there a while you will get a feel for what others wear and what's comfy. You cant go wrong with brogues biased.

LecturingLife Mon 06-Nov-17 17:27:53

I've ordered the black ruched skirt from Hush after reading people raving about it in here.

Do you think brogues look ok with a skirt? Wasn't sure if they'd look too clumpy? But they'd be ideal.

LecturingLife Mon 06-Nov-17 17:28:24

Will have a look at whistles and Other Stories, thanks.

Fekko Mon 06-Nov-17 17:29:31

Depends on length of skirt and the tights! I once had a 3/4 length skirt and brogues and in my head I was Parisian chic until I clicked myself and I actually looked frump of the month!

BambooWhoosh Mon 06-Nov-17 17:35:28

Congratulations on the new job!

I work in Uni (admin) so encounter lots of people. I don't see many tunic & leggings, more dresses / separates / trousers with the lecturers. Researchers it's more jeans, leggings etc.

I don't think the gold spot dress looks 'wizard's outfit', although the pic where the model is laughing looks a bit like she's holding a wand. Tbh I've had problems with White Stuff quality, although they may have improved. Can you check it out in store?

Have you looked at Baukjen or Hobbs?

Squashit Mon 06-Nov-17 17:42:09

Mistral. Like White Stuff but more subdued.

LarryUnderwood Mon 06-Nov-17 17:45:18

Uni Qlo has some nice smart coats which don’t break the bank but are good quality. I’ve got the Chester coat and it’s warmer than it looks and nice and smart. I’d recommend a visit to a big John Lewis as they have lots of smarter concessions at a range of prices and you can start to put outfits together more easily.

Ttbb Mon 06-Nov-17 17:51:06

Don't look too smart-you'll never get a promotion! That said the Hobbs casual line is your best friend.

Ohyesiam Mon 06-Nov-17 17:52:15

Never thought I'd hear myself say it, but Born has some get dresses this winter. Look good with tights and boots. If you are in London they have a store, so you don't have to order on line. That said their mail order is very user friendly.

Ohyesiam Mon 06-Nov-17 17:52:36

Sorry, Boden, not born

PhuntSox Mon 06-Nov-17 17:55:18

What about a tweedy dress like this? www.next.co.uk/g772068s1 Or tweed trousers always look smart. I would avoid black and white as its a little waitressy. John Lewis will have lots in the sale soon.

swimster01 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:00:50

I would check out Phase Eight as the quality of dresses is very good. I used to recommend Boden but have had issues with washing their clothes/durability.

JontyDoggle37 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:06:53

Go online and book yourself an appointment with a Debenhams personal shopper in one of their bigger stores. You tell them what kind of things you want and then sit there and drink coffee while they go round the shop and bring loads back for you to try - and then based on your comments they go out and get more. You can have a single appointment (one hour) or book a double appointment (2 hours) if you need a lot. It's a completely free service and they don't just pick the top price stuff, they rummage through the sale rails for you as well - I bought three dresses at the weekend this way, and effectively got the third free as there was so much money off the marked price on all three.

LecturingLife Mon 06-Nov-17 18:15:25

Just looked online and seen some nice stuff in phase8. I like that Next dress as well.

When do the sales start? Before xmas?

ivykaty44 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:19:53

Try house of Fraser online for their sale items - you can sift through online and pick up in store for free

Girlsworld92 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:23:17

Next is good for work stuff. Look in the clearance section of their website for dresses.

Fekko Mon 06-Nov-17 18:24:52

Don't go to mango - whoeeee! Didn't they use to be good?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now