Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

German Drugstore Recommendations

(19 Posts)
BelleEtoile Mon 06-Nov-17 17:05:48

Going to Germany shortly - for the first time.
Are there any interesting products or brands that are not available here I should be looking for?

Hulder Mon 06-Nov-17 20:09:40

Handcream! In any branch of Rossmann's there will be v cheap handcream with a big 10% UREA label on it. It's the best handcream ever plus cheap as chips.

I really liked Sebamed showergel - prone to dry skin and only thing I could find that didn't set it off.

FinallyHere Mon 06-Nov-17 20:18:07

I love this Sorry I can't find a uk site, but its not available here.... medicine to help with colds and coughs, its a balm not unlike Vick, but this smells really lovely to me. Eucalyptus oil and pine oil mostly. Probably because my parents used it on me as a child, I have a deep affection for it. Enjoy.

BelleEtoile Mon 06-Nov-17 20:34:36

Brilliant Hulder Thanks!
I go through buckets of hand cream

Thanks FinallyHere it will be useful to have for the winter.

OCSockOrphanage Mon 06-Nov-17 20:54:11

Germany makes the best nailbrushes ever. Really stiff solid bristles that clean properly.

Welshcake77 Tue 07-Nov-17 08:42:11

I love DM stores and rate their own brand Balea products.
In case you have blond or grey hair the Guhl Silberglanz purple shampoo is fantastic for keeping the brassiness/yellowness at bay
www.dm.de/guhl-shampoo-silberglanz-und-pflege-p4072600221389.html
Nivea products are probably a bit cheaper here, and the Soft in large pots is a lovely body cream
www.dm.de/nivea-pflegecreme-soft-p4005900172112.html

Oh and Kaufmann's Kindercreme is fantastic for keeping chapped lips smooth in winter (and for baby/children's faces, acts as a barrier creme but is not too thick)
www.dm.de/kaufmanns-pflegecreme-haut-und-kinder-creme-tube-p4011448007007.html

And if you're into LRP or Vichy products have a look in the chemists, I
find them a bit cheaper here than in the UK.

Have a good trip!

chloechloe Tue 07-Nov-17 09:27:59

I live in Germany!

Weleda stuff is great, you can get it in the U.K. but not very easily. If you have babies or toddlers buy the whole Calendula range it's amazing (orange packaging).

Lavera is another good one.

Both are natural brands and you can get them in the drugstores (DM, Müller, Rossman) and in the chemist.

Also, very important, it's nearly Xmas so it's gingerbread (Lebkuchen) time! Buy it from the baker - it's amazing and not like any gingerbread you'll have eaten before!

FinallyHere Tue 07-Nov-17 10:44:43

How could I forget marzipan, thanks chloe for reminding me about Christmas....

Welshcake77 Tue 07-Nov-17 11:13:12

and while we're on the topic...vanilla kipferl...mmm...know what I'm going to buy on my lunch break!

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Tue 07-Nov-17 11:16:55

Douglas stores are great for perfume at bargain prices, and big brand stuff like Dermalogica seems more reasonable than in the UK.

Very jealous, I want to go to Germany.

TeaAddict235 Tue 07-Nov-17 11:42:10

WELEDA WELEDA WELEDA it starts from about 4€ in price (check the baby section) rather than £12 in the UK.

I second Lavera, shampoos (silicone and sulphate etc free), about 6€, or face creams

If you're into Dove, or Garnier etc they have hair masks etc not available in the UK.

Get yourself some organic undies & socks in DM (very healthy at circulation).

Ineedmorelemonpledge Tue 07-Nov-17 12:03:06

The chain Müller is also good for beauty and fragrance shopping.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Tue 07-Nov-17 12:46:43

And Klosterfrau products for winter health

chloechloe Tue 07-Nov-17 12:54:11

This thread is making me smile! Klosterfrau indeed. My Austrian MIL swears by Klosterfraumelissengeist for any and every ailment!

welshcake I'm partial to a Spitzbuben myself!

kalinkafoxtrot45 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:34:51

Speick is another really good German brand.

FinallyHere Tue 07-Nov-17 20:08:05

Just sayin'

I believe that the active ingredient in Klosterfraumelissengeist is alcohol. Just sayin'

chloechloe Tue 07-Nov-17 21:19:15

finally I think that's why my MIL likes it so much! She also recommends Enzianschnapps for any kind of stomach ache grin

FinallyHere Wed 08-Nov-17 03:09:40

chloechloe grin

BelleEtoile Wed 08-Nov-17 20:09:30

Wow thank you for the replies! Sounds like I need to make more time for shopping!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: