Talk

Advanced search

Short socks for ankle boots?

(18 Posts)
Bewiser Mon 06-Nov-17 16:16:35

I'm late to the ankle boot game and still learning how to wear them. I've learned from here to fold my jeans up slightly to "flash a bit of ankle" grin but now I need help with socks! My normal socks are far far too long but I tried trainer socks and my ankle bones got all rubbed and sore. Is there an in-between? Any recommendations? Everything I've seen in the shops is in a packet so I can't see the length really but imagine if they say "ankle socks" then they'll be like my normal ones and "trainer socks" seem the only smaller ones other than footsies.

RubbishMantra Mon 06-Nov-17 17:07:51

I know what you mean - most ankle socks come too far up the shin. Have a gander at Sock Shop's offerings. Loads of pretty socks there.

SkaPunkPrincess Mon 06-Nov-17 17:09:51

Can't you just tuck your normal socks down or fold the tops over?

Bewiser Mon 06-Nov-17 17:28:53

Thanks - I'll take a look at Sock Shop. No, my normal socks are so much higher than my short ankle boots that even when I folded them so that they were almost back to my toes (so I was walking on an uncomfortable ridge on my instep), they were still just visible at my ankles. Trainer socks are almost right, just ideally a smidge longer to fully cover my ankle bone at the sides.

Nyancat Mon 06-Nov-17 17:51:12

If you are anywhere near a decathlon their running socks are fab for this and they don't do that annoying thing where they fall off the back of your heel and end up all bunched up round your foot.

OCSockOrphanage Mon 06-Nov-17 21:23:47

I have said before and will say again now that that Corrymoor mohair socks are the finest money can buy, which is good because they are not cheap. They wash well, come in a big range of colours, don't slip and are blissfully comfortable, as well as never smelling. They also make fab Christmas presents for men.

Bewiser Mon 06-Nov-17 22:19:03

Oh I love Decathlon but unfortunately I'm not near one!

For the Corrymoor ones, I take it you'd recommend the trainer sock style then? They look like they might just about cover the ankle bone?

trainedopossum Tue 07-Nov-17 01:19:32

Yay, I love Corrymoor too! I got a pair of the gentletop ones and am now planning my next purchase. If you fold them over they come just above the ankle and you don't get any weird indentations in your leg. corrymoor.com/socks/4-gentletop#/size-small_uk_4_7_eur_37_41/product_packaging-yes/colour-navy_blue

I wear a hunter green pair with trousers in a similar colour and brogues and they look the business.

Trumpton Tue 07-Nov-17 09:43:54

Book marked the bed socks as a present for MIL . THANKS

ExConstance Tue 07-Nov-17 10:05:03

Corrymoor!!! You can buy a goat too, that would be a really great present.

OCSockOrphanage Wed 08-Nov-17 20:07:59

My MIL has had them as presents in years gone by Trumpton. A pair of the companions goes down well with my nephew who works outside in cold places in winter (except that his wife has been known to borrow them, for weeks). Last year, she got her own pair. It is a great Christmas solution for most people you can't think of anything to get. And a spare pair under the tree may save your blushes when someone unexpected turns up with a gift. Really good socks are a fine gift, in a way that a five pack from M&S will never match.

Trumpton Wed 08-Nov-17 20:56:47

Quite agree OCSockOrphanage
I am a firm believer in buying less and better when buying presents !
One year I bought my sister in law a tiny Dyptique candle as a thank you and it was so much nicer than a big cheapie !

purpleRH Thu 09-Nov-17 16:25:31

The Next cushion trainer socks are great, and they are plain black, so easy to wear under boots. Nice and warm and they don't slip down / £10 for 5 pairs!

www.next.co.uk/style/st190468#894889

brogueish Thu 09-Nov-17 17:33:34

I think these are the ones I have www.decathlon.co.uk/ekiden-socks-id_8296178.html Invisible under ankle boots but protect my bony ankles.

They may have changed the fabric content though, I'm sure mine had more cotton.

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 09-Nov-17 17:37:15

I just wear my normal ankle socks folded backwards under the heel.

Bewiser Fri 10-Nov-17 16:10:48

Oh purple I have a voucher to use for Next. Do they cover your ankle bone?

Caulk Fri 10-Nov-17 16:13:27

Trainer socks come in lots of different lengths ime. Tkmaxx are bound to have some running ones which are longer.

purpleRH Fri 10-Nov-17 19:55:16

Bewiser - they are so comfy honestly, don’t slip down at all! They are higher than trainer socks but not as high as normal ankle socks, they just cover my ankle bone and are low enough to wear with my shoe boots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now