Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Beauty brushes or sponges

(14 Posts)
sausagerole Sun 05-Nov-17 15:24:31

I'm really happy with my make-up products I'm using, and have historically used beauty sponges to apply. But I'm needing to buy some new ones and wondering whether to buy beauty brushes for foundation/concealer etc, or whether to stick with beauty sponges.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is and which I should go for?!

sausagerole Mon 06-Nov-17 13:22:04

anyone?! Beauty novice needs some advice!

Carpaccio Mon 06-Nov-17 18:53:49

I've used loads of brushes in the past and am now quite keen on the Real Techniques sponge (it's the orange one that is used damp, not dry). I also like the beautyblender, but I think it's too expensive for something that needs to be replaced as often as they recommend. The RT sponge is more reasonably priced.
I much prefer applying my under eye concealer with the sponge.

When applying foundation with a brush, I usually use Morphe m439.
I really like the size and shape of the brush and the finish it gives, but it is not the best quality brush I've had. I've had one fall apart already, but at that price I can live with having to replace it every 18 months or so.

A better quality brush that I also like is the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. I think it is in the same price range as the Morphe brush, but the quality is far better.

moonmaker Mon 06-Nov-17 22:27:09

It really depends on what foundation / products you’re using and what look your going for . I have a range but not all products apply well with the same tool .the real techniques sponge , used damp, is fantastic with most foundations but not all. I would highly recommend it - the beauty blender is practically the same thing for a lot more ££. It makes your foundation look natural and not cakey. Stippling brushes and flat traditional brushes are also good (I use mac ) - but don’t work Well with absolutely everything . What products are you using ?

EnidButton Tue 07-Nov-17 00:19:33

I’ve recently started using the Real Techniques expert face brush, instead of their stippling brush and then a beauty blender. The difference is amazing. It’s so much easier to blend foundation out, I’m using far less and the finish is perfect. No need for extra blending with the beauty blender/sponge. I’m really really impressed with it.

I still like the beauty blender/sponge for blending concealer and for cream blush but for foundation I’m completely converted to the brush.

EnidButton Tue 07-Nov-17 00:20:07

It’s the RT beauty blenders that I have btw.

HighburyHattie Tue 07-Nov-17 00:26:12

Beautyblender (official one) would be best for a novice

I also use a MAC 170 but I think you’d be better off with a sponge as they’re more forgiving, faster and easier to use. The biggest downside is that beautyblender’s suck up a lot of product

sausagerole Tue 07-Nov-17 08:36:38

Thanks all. I'm using a No. 7 foundation and concealer. I tend to like a light-medium type coverage for everyday wear - I'm not a make-up expert and don't use loads of different products to a high quality finish!

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a normal foundation brush and a stippling brush? I'd not thought about using the blender with cream blush - that makes alot of sense. I've just been using my fingers and always end up with loads of product all over them!

sausagerole Tue 07-Nov-17 08:37:46

I like the very natural look the beauty blender gives me - would that be the same with a foundation or stippling brush, or do they make it look a bit heavier coverage wise?

EnidButton Tue 07-Nov-17 08:58:48

Having used both I’d go for the RT Expert Face brush over the stippling brush. The finish is much smoother and more blended.

EnidButton Tue 07-Nov-17 08:59:39

And coverage wise Is appears lighter when applied with the brush rather than a blender. Very natural.

EnidButton Tue 07-Nov-17 09:02:57

God sorry for triple posts I shouldn’t reply whilst still half asleep. blush

For cream blush use the blender ever so slightly damp and kind of pat it on then use the clean end to blend it by kind of doing a pat/press and roll kind of motion. If that makes sense. Worth trying anyway,

CruzRamirez Tue 07-Nov-17 10:35:32

YY to the RT expert face brush. It's really dense and rounded, really good for stippling in concealer so there are no visible edges. I've had mine a few years and it's still good as new. I've got their actual stippling brush but never use it, I don't really get it but plenty of posters on here love theirs so perhaps it's my technique.

CruzRamirez Tue 07-Nov-17 10:36:52

But also, from your posts it seems that you're getting on well and achieving what you want with a sponge. I wouldn't change for the sake of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now