Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of ditching shower gel for soap - recommendations?

(27 Posts)
thebookeatinggirl Sun 05-Nov-17 11:16:28

As a family we're trying to cut down plastic usage and one of our biggest is shower gel bottles. We seem to get through loads!

DH has started buying bars of soap, something pine smelling like the old coal tar soaps, which he and DS are using. But DD and I want something that smells a bit softer and is not drying on the skin. Dove seems obvious choice, but in the past I've used it for hand washing and it went mushy very quickly.

So I'm after gorgeous creamy long-lasting lovely smelling soap bar recommendations.
Not too concerned about cost, as prepared to treat us initially.... any help appreciated.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 05-Nov-17 11:17:16

L'occitane?

missjoanie Sun 05-Nov-17 11:18:52

Dove smells nice but makes me itch like crazy! I use Body Shop Coconut soap - it’s a lovely, delicate fragrance and doesn’t irritate my skin. They have loads of other soaps and they’re always on a 3 for 2 offer.

Ninjakittysmells Sun 05-Nov-17 11:19:21

I’ve just switched to the jo Malone soap bars from shower gel and I love them. Feels like a few treat for some reason!

There was a huge thread in style and Beauty a while ago on the best soaps to use - I’ll see if I can find it for you

HaHaHmm Sun 05-Nov-17 11:19:55

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/3050909-Soap-instead-of-shower-gel

718 posts’ worth.

Ninjakittysmells Sun 05-Nov-17 11:19:57

Ps should also add, the ji Malone bars are huge and solid. Very impressed with how long they have lasted.

thebookeatinggirl Sun 05-Nov-17 11:21:31

Brilliant - thank you! Should have searched first....
Am off to do some reading and research.

treaclesoda Sun 05-Nov-17 11:22:16

If you like Dove (which I believe isn't actually soap, it just looks like soap) you'd probably like Sainsbury's basics soap! Costs about 30p a bar, is really gentle, smells a bit Dove like, and doesn't go mushy. I couldn't believe how nice it was.

EnidNextDoor Sun 05-Nov-17 11:23:47

Did you leave the soap to drain and dry between uses? It goes mushy if left sitting in water.

IggyAce Sun 05-Nov-17 11:34:16

I've started using soap after the previous thread. I currently use a Nivea one got it for 39p from B&Ms.
My DH advised that DD wanted to get me a candle fir Xmas (don't really need another one of those) so have asked him for a nice soap instead, so will give him some ideas from here.

Wormulonian Sun 05-Nov-17 12:12:40

What do you store/keep the soap in? I hate how it goes squishy underneath.

wobblywonderwoman Sun 05-Nov-17 12:15:48

I am also using the nivea one from b&m and it is lovely and fresh smelling. Why don't you get them for the family and treat yourself to a luxury one

Modestandatinybitsexy Sun 05-Nov-17 12:21:44

I use Heyland & Whittle clementine and prosecco. Lovely soft scent and leave skin feeling beautiful.

RandomMess Sun 05-Nov-17 12:26:07

I just use simple, nowt in it to react to!

WhooooAmI24601 Sun 05-Nov-17 12:56:15

L'Occitane soaps are lovely and they tend to last a long time, too.

FoofFighter Sun 05-Nov-17 13:04:41

Go and take a look in tkmaxx, absolutely 100s to choose from

StealthPolarBear Sun 05-Nov-17 13:06:03

We use simple, always on offer and fine.. I don't understand the point of shower gel particularly.

NotThereEileen Sun 05-Nov-17 13:07:52

Loooove nesti dante soaps. They are giant 250g bars. Can get them off Amazon, but Holland and Barrett are cheaper and were doing but one get one half price. Their cypress soap is amazing

Vitalogy Sun 05-Nov-17 13:49:26

I was just coming on to say about Nesti Dante soaps NotThereEileen they're gorgeous aren't they. I just got their offer the other day at Holland and Barrett on these two.

PlausibleSuit Sun 05-Nov-17 13:51:56

I've been getting on well with Dr Bronner bar soap. Very nice on the skin, not drying at all.

MrsJayy Sun 05-Nov-17 13:52:21

I boughtpears soap from £ shop it is lovely and brings back childhood memories of my nans house. My family still prefer shower gel but i feel cleaner using soap

Ollivander84 Sun 05-Nov-17 14:18:27

Bizarrely the Johnson's baby soap with honey is really lovely. Doesn't seem to leave mushy bits on the sink, lathers well and smells like soap. Was 4 (perfect size smaller) bars for £1 in rowlands pharmacy

Ollivander84 Sun 05-Nov-17 14:20:52

Oh and these smelled lovely. Haven't tried them yet
https://www.littlesoapcompany.co.uk

BillywigSting Sun 05-Nov-17 14:22:01

I quite like pears soap. It's a sort of clear amber coloured oval. Smells lovely and clean and doesn't dry my skin out or go mushy.

Or l'occitane if it's payday grin

ReggaetonLente Sun 05-Nov-17 14:28:58

The L'Occitane almond soap is lovely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: