Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Skincare Routine Help

(16 Posts)
2012860363 Sun 05-Nov-17 08:22:42

I am trying to put a skincare routine in place and what a minefield it is shock
Early 30s acne prone and dry skin and my current skincare routine is:

AM
Cetaphil gentle cleanser
Aveeno moisturiser

PM
Baby Oil to remove eye make up
Cetaphil gentle cleanser
Aveeno moisturiser

I started looking at the Caroline Hirons cheat sheet but still find it pretty overwhelming as I don’t want to use the wrong products.
Also looked at The Ordinary but well out of my depth there confused

2012860363 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:13:22

Anyone?! I am ageing by the minute here sad

Applebei Sun 05-Nov-17 15:20:27

Things I recommend:

A good oil cleanser day and night, applied to a dry face and taken off with a hot wet clean flannel. Great for both oily and dry skin and gets makeup off really easily. Try una Brennan or palmer's.

An acid toner at night, like pixi glow or the ordinary's glycolic. Really really fab for acne. You'll need to use a facial sunscreen in the day though.

Also a clay mask once a week is great.

2012860363 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:27:35

Thanks @Applebei I really want to do something but don’t want to make things worse by using the wrong products.
Will have a look at your suggestions smile

TittyGolightly Sun 05-Nov-17 15:30:16

Baby (mineral) oil is horrendous for skin. I wouldn’t put it anywhere.

2012860363 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:34:57

@TittyGolightly I thought as much but I really struggle finding anything that removes make up (waterproof mascara) and doesn’t irritate my eyes. I don’t have sensitive skin in general by my eye area has reacted to things in the past.
Any suggestions???

Ollivander84 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:36:39

If you want a separate eye makeup remover then boots do a good own brand one called simply sensitive

I am acne prone and my routine is

Am - boots botanical lotion cleanser on cotton pad, some form of serum (I have loads!), SPF, moisturiser

Pm - eye makeup remover, LRP toleriane cleanser massaged and removed with damp flannel, tone with acid or just rose water
Then I alternate retinol, azelaic acid or a hydrating serum (so I do one of those not all!) and finish with moisturiser

Ollivander84 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:37:36

Cross posted
The only two eye makeup removers I can use is the above one I mentioned or one from Tesco called eye makeup remover aloe (by s cosmetics)

BagelGoesWalking Sun 05-Nov-17 15:41:49

La Roche Posay Toleriane range is very good for sensitive snkn. They do a good eye makeup remover, a Sensitive Micellar Water or a cream Dermo Cleanser.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sun 05-Nov-17 15:42:50

La Roche Posay is very good and good value for money , it’s well regarded by Sam Bunting (dermatologist) and easily available in Boots.

I double cleanse with Una Brennan facial oil then use a cream cleanser.
I use an acid toner then spritz with a hydrating one then apply serums and moisturiser.

I’m a big fan of NIOD products, I buy from Victoria Health and can’t recommend them highly enough.

TittyGolightly Sun 05-Nov-17 15:43:11

I use a tube mascara - it’s waterproof in normal conditions but only needs rubbing with hot water to remove.

BeeFarseer Sun 05-Nov-17 15:46:50

Argh, it ate my reply.

We have similar sounding skin. I did some research yesterday and found this site very helpful - www.honestyforyourskin.co.uk/the-ordinary-acne/

2012860363 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:51:33

Thank you all so much.
I am going to have a look into the La Roche products for actual make up removed and I have emailed The Ordinary asking for recommendations for a skincare routine for my skin type that is also anti ageing.
Feeling quite excited about getting started.

Though one of my concerns is how quickly I can apply my make up on top of all these lotions and potions in the morning?!

Ollivander84 Sun 05-Nov-17 19:15:38

I wear makeup every day and put it straight on. But I do my eye makeup first after cleansing, clean up fall out then apply serums etc

BagelGoesWalking Mon 06-Nov-17 13:43:53

2012 Come back and tell us what Victoria Health recommended! There's also a fantastic, really friendly FB group for all things Ordinary/Deciem which you may like

www.facebook.com/groups/theordinarychatroombybbe/

SparklingRaspberry Mon 06-Nov-17 14:17:11

Coconut oil and a hot flannel instead of baby oil! Don't put that anywhere near your skin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: