Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Black velvet jacket

(19 Posts)
Peppardew Sun 05-Nov-17 08:18:28

Picked one up in a charity shop yesterday. Any ideas what to wear with it?

CountFosco Sun 05-Nov-17 08:55:03

Anything really. Pleated or tulle maxi skirt and chelsea boots would be my first choice but it will also look great with jeans or leather leggings and a silk shirt.

Floisme Sun 05-Nov-17 11:09:48

Mine's dark blue and from a weigh n pay but otherwise snap! So far I've only worn it with either jeans - where it's breathed new life into my relaxed skinnies which I thought I'd worn for the last time, just goes to show - or with narrow leg, ankle leg trousers. I used to wear one with short skirts but I don't have the legs for that any more and the proportions (it's longish and very fitted) don't work so well with a lot of my below the knee skirts. I think it would look good with some posh joggers but I'm trying to only use what's in my wardrobe so far cos it's no longer such a bargain when you end up buying something new to go with it!.

JesusTapdancingChrist Sun 05-Nov-17 11:12:32

I posted about my charity shop velvet jacket a few months ago. It's burgundy and lush.

I mostly wear it over floral tea dresses with opaques and docs, like I did in the 90's.

It also looks great with black skinnies and a plain black cami/shirt/top with a cool necklace.

Floisme Sun 05-Nov-17 11:20:43

Ah tea dresses - don't wear those any more either grin

It's a lovely jacket and I'm sure it's got a lot more potential but I'm struggling a bit to find new ways of wearing it, especially ways that don't involve spending more money.

Sorry op, don't want to take over your thread. blush

Youcanstayundermyumbrella Sun 05-Nov-17 12:58:40

I lived in a velvet jacket in my teens. It was an old one of my mum's now I think about it. You're making me want one!

IdentityRequest1 Sun 05-Nov-17 14:41:44

Ooh, I clicked on this hoping there'd be links! I want a black one...

BulletFox Sun 05-Nov-17 14:56:22

What sort of style is it? Fitted or more tux?

PeasAndHarmony Sun 05-Nov-17 15:20:50

I wear mine with skinny jeans, heels and a white shirt.

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Sun 05-Nov-17 15:31:35

Ooh I got a beautiful black velvet tuxedo style jacket last year for my works Christmas do, can’t get to it now as we have moved across the country and all my stuff is in storage until at least January (when our house purchase completes!). This thread is making me long to go rummaging for it!

As a teen I had a beautiful vintage black velvet blazer which I wore to death, every night out it was my staple over dresses (with spice girl-esque platforms natch!) until my best friend (rather sozzled) tripped up behind me and grabbed the back of the jacket as she fell, making a huuuuge horizontal rip right across the shoulder blades!

Anyway, I digress! I will watch this thread with interest in anticipation of getting to my blazer soon!

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Sun 05-Nov-17 15:33:33

Love the idea of tulle skirt and boots!!

I’m more of a slouchy turn up jeans kinda girl at the mo. White shirt sounds good!

CointreauVersial Sun 05-Nov-17 22:58:48

I dug an old velvet jacket out of the loft the other day - it was my "going out" jacket for years, so for some reason I'd hung onto it.

I'd probably be delighted with it if I'd found it in a charity/vintage shop, but as it's mine from years ago it feels old-fashioned. I'm not sure if the shape is right for today - it's quite long-line, fitted and shoulder-paddy. Hmmm.....

Floisme Mon 06-Nov-17 09:21:24

It might be worth seeing if you can get it altered Cointreau if it's proper velvet? I'm dismayed at all the shiny velour they're trying to pass off in the shops at the moment. They really are taking the piss.

CointreauVersial Mon 06-Nov-17 13:18:44

I'd alter it myself if I cba.....

IdentityRequest1 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:23:37

Any one seen any nice ones about? I'd like black or a burgundy...

Jojoanna Mon 06-Nov-17 13:24:49

I want a velvet jacket

Floisme Mon 06-Nov-17 14:01:00

I would follow the op's example and look for a second hand one. I wouldn't pay a penny for any 'velvet' I've seen on the high street recently. It's utter shite.

Peppardew Tue 07-Nov-17 12:07:11

Thanks, lovely ideas. It's got a lovely weight to it, old St Michael label and a 'proper' size 10 so prob slightly too fitted for me (I'll breathe in!). Just got to make sure I actually wear it now, I'm assuming it has to be without a coat on top? And would you say it's a night time only thing?

Peppardew Tue 07-Nov-17 12:10:33

If anyone's looking, do think they come up fairly regularly in charity shops. Mine was from help the aged. What I was actually looking for was one for those big baggy wooly cardies that I'm sure used to come up all the time but can't seem to find one. Think all the local students have snaffled them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now