Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Shopping in Milan

(10 Posts)
Welshcake77 Sun 05-Nov-17 05:12:23

DH and I are going to Milan this weekend for a bit of shopping...we've only got the Saturday so any tips on best streets/areas, which departments stores are best/what we can miss would be great!

botemp Sun 05-Nov-17 08:22:36

Depends on budget and what sizes you are really. The golden triangle is called exactly that as it's £££ but tucked in among there is a fabulous outlet shop called DMag which can have great bargains. The giant Armani flagship store is worth a nose just for the experience as it encompasses more than just the fashion brands. It's right near the Scala which you can often wander into and if you're lucky they're warming up or practicing. The area beyond that has a few scattered independent shops, if you head back towards the Duomo through the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele you'll end up at the giant department store La Rinascente which has a wide selection of brands. To the left and right of that are the more high street style shops. It has a natural circulatory setup so it pretty much guides itself. Almost all the high end fashion shops have a restaurant or a bar, they're a good place to go for pre dinner drinks, usually with a large selection of complimentary little bites at the bar to go with your drink and it makes for great people gazing.

Corso Como is a concept store institution and worth a visit if you like that, but otherwise I expect it would seem like a bit out of the way for some.

Calzedonia is great for tights, they're everywhere. In most Italian underwear shops, unless you have small breasts, avoid the bras, they look lovely but they're sized 1-4 and that's pretty much just the band, it's all a B cup pretty much. Stefanel and Max & Co. are good places to head if the high end luxury stuff is doing your head in but you would like something very Italian in style to take home.

Max Mara is also substantially cheaper in Italy.

WipsGlitter Sun 05-Nov-17 08:27:56

I agree about DMag. I got a Prada suit there!

LunaTheCat Sun 05-Nov-17 12:18:45

If you are after an Italian. BGA then Campomaggi are gorgeous - but spendy. They do have a shop in Milan ( although I am not sure where is).
I also love Manila Grace.

LunaTheCat Sun 05-Nov-17 12:19:26

Sorry should say Italian bag...

Welshcake77 Sun 05-Nov-17 12:52:01

That's fab info @botemp thank you! I'm a size 8 and happy to spend a bit more there especially as looking for smart work stuff, need a wool coat for example.
Glad to hear the DMag recommendation as had read that all the outlets are out of town so will definitely have a look there.

Always on the lookout for a nice bag so thanks for your suggestions @lunathecat

Will report back next week!

botemp Sun 05-Nov-17 13:05:06

At size 8 you'll have plenty of choice, at 14/16 you'd come out disappointed. Wool coats are easy to get there, I'm sure you'll be spoilt for choice. Men have larger sizes available but regardless everything is cut slim and a tad shorter.

Also stop by Sermoneta, all they sell is leather gloves in a beautiful finish and endless colours with a really fun store design. The prices are also a lot lower than you'd expect too.

The outlet shops outside of the city make for great shopping but it is a bit of a hassle as they're quite far away. They are open on Sunday and I think they've opened one up right near the airport but can't remember if it was at the Malpensa, Linater, or Bergamo one.

Welshcake77 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:59:44

I hope DH won't have too much trouble finding stuff, he's well built and pretty tall at 1,90m.

Sermoneta sounds lovely, will try and get there. Any suggestions where I could get a nice belt? Also something I need!

botemp Sun 05-Nov-17 22:41:24

Belts will be everywhere, leather goods are like sand in a desert in Italy. You may get lucky with them in a place like DMag, it's a bit of a tardis, you just have to keep venturing further. La Rinascente will have a large selection and handbag brand shops like Furla and Coccinelle will have them too. If you come across a market they're worth looking at too, there's usually a fur and leather goods stand.

Welshcake77 Mon 06-Nov-17 07:46:32

Brilliant, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now