Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Work dresses for a barrel-belly shorty?

(12 Posts)
NapQueen Sat 04-Nov-17 21:25:42

Im in my first non uniform job and would quite like some smart ish dresses to wear for work through the winter.

At under 5'3 and a size 14 with most of my weight round my middle I am finding it hard.

Help!

MulhuddartDrive Sat 04-Nov-17 22:09:45

Spotted this yesterday which might work?

MountainDweller Sat 04-Nov-17 23:28:46

I am a similar shape but bigger blush

I go for straight-ish jersey/knitted dresses that are fitted at the bust then looser around the tummy area, or slight fit and flare/a-line shape but with no defined waist. I have to be comfortable! Tunic style with leggings works if that is smart enough, or knee length with tights. Even long dresses can work, again I’d go for a straight but not too fitted style with nice accessories. A v-neck or not too deep scoop neck is more flattering than high neck if your tummy area is an issue.

I have a couple of nice knitted/jersey dresses from Monsoon in this style, an old boden one in an a-line shape and a couple from fat face this year which I love, but might be too casual depending on your job. For me Empire line is my worst enemy plus anything with a defined waist and fitted top, as they just cling in the wrong places!

NapQueen Sun 05-Nov-17 07:32:31

mountain that style seems like it would be the best i will try monsoon. Work isnt too smart so I can wear leggings.

That ruched H&M dress is nice but too clingy.

LindyHemming Sun 05-Nov-17 08:05:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LindyHemming Sun 05-Nov-17 08:07:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RhythmNBooze Sun 05-Nov-17 08:37:33

I'm also a similar shape but bigger and find Lands End do some good stuff. They're not cheap but do wash well and last.

jeaux90 Sun 05-Nov-17 10:06:23

Boden do some good shift dresses (some have pockets, I love a dress with pockets grin)

chocoholic1234 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:58:11

I'm a very similar shape, so watching with interest. I find I almost always to buy from the petite range, otherwise the waist of a dress fits on my hips (i.e.. the narrowest part fits on my widest part).

Dorothy Perkins is my usual go to, particularly their Billie and Blossom range. Next is sometimes ok, but limited range. BHS used to have an ace petite range sadly, my most beloved jersey dress came from there. Wallis are good for trousers & jeans btw.

Occasionally I find random non-petite stuff works - apricot stuff fit beautifully 2 years ago, but last time I went I couldn't find anything that fit. I hate being short, but short with a tummy is particularly rubbish.

BluebellGal Sun 05-Nov-17 23:32:41

Shift dresses are your friend

John Lewis have some lovely lined ones in their suit section. I think they have blue, black plum and red in at the moment. Book a (free) personal stylist session at John Lewis and they’ll sort you out with a nice dress that fits

SellMySoulForMoreSleep Mon 06-Nov-17 22:10:23

This dress from Next (comes in loads of colours) is amazing, hides everything!

http://www.next.co.uk/g21142s14?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi5atlfuq1wIVwxbTCh0u1AxbEAQYASABEgJz9fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COrA4Jb7qtcCFRCm7Qodj30CHg

I have 4!

SellMySoulForMoreSleep Mon 06-Nov-17 22:11:21

I’m 5ft 2 and a size 16 by the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now