Talk

Advanced search

Going to a masquerade ball... Need dress and mask ideas!

(12 Posts)
Kissisforpirate Sat 04-Nov-17 15:35:51

My friend is putting on a masquerade ball for her 40th next Jan and I need a fancy dress!
I was going to wear an old bridesmaid dress but i can't do it up anymore...

I would really like a dress with a big tulle skirt - like a long floppy tutu if that makes sense. Maybe in a dusky pink or red but I'm open to most colours. I need it to have straps as i can't go braless. Any ideas where i can get one from? I would like to spend no more than £50 and am happy to wait for the sales.

I also need a mask. As i wear glasses i was thinking of getting the ones that clip onto frames and then doing elaborate makeup. Where can i get a madk like this from?

Kissisforpirate Sat 04-Nov-17 15:52:36

I should add I'm 5 foot 3 and maxi dresses are often too long for me. I usually wear dresses that end in the knee. Size 14 and an hourglass shape. I'm not very good with heels so will likely need to wear flat shoes.

onlyonaTuesday Sat 04-Nov-17 15:57:22

https://www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Harlow-Dress.html
Maybe something like this?

ReinettePompadour Sat 04-Nov-17 15:59:16

Hire something? masqueradecostume.co.uk/costume-hire-and-fancy-dress/costume-hire/costume-ranges/

Masquerade masks are everywhere at the moment as decorations for your Christmas tree. My DD adores them so we buy several every year. Pop down to your local garden centre and see what they have, theyre usually around £5-10 depending on how luxurious you want them. They have ties so you could easily tie one to your glasses.

hendricksyousay Sat 04-Nov-17 16:01:27

If you look on the website lipsy do long evening dresses which come in petite . I’m 5 ft and they are the perfect length for me .

bananafanana1 Sat 04-Nov-17 16:03:24

Try Elsie’s Attic for the skirt

https://www.elsiesattic.co.uk/product/antique-rose-midi-tulle-tutu-skirt-2/

Kissisforpirate Sat 04-Nov-17 21:36:12

Ah the chi chi dress is perfect! Hopefully it will come down in price a bit.
The Elsie's attic skirt is gorgeous but too long.
I'll checkout lipsy too.
Not sure about hiring. For the price i may as well buy something.

onlyonaTuesday Sat 04-Nov-17 21:39:03

Lots of masks on Amazon as well

ScarlettDarling Sat 04-Nov-17 21:43:06

That chi chi dress above is gorgeous. This one from Asos is pretty too, but is also within budget for you.

Etymology23 Sat 04-Nov-17 21:51:24

I got my masquerade mask from eBay. I went for a metal one in the end.

Depending where you live you might find second hand shops are a viable option - we have one nearby that's not a charity shop br just second hand clothes and amongst other things it sells ball gowns - and they fit people as short as me at 5'3".

www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Kimi-Dress.html Not certain about length though.

www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Elif-Dress.html

www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Saffron-Dress.html
You could buy a petticoat separately for this.
www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Poppie-Dress.html
www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Laurie-Dress.html

They also have 10% off for new customers.

Can you tell I wish I had more posh parties to go to?!

Kissisforpirate Sat 04-Nov-17 22:23:15

Those chi chi ones are lovely! Mostcwould require a strapless bra though which won't work. I think I'll wait for the first pink one to come down in price.
Or i buy a shoestring strap one and embellish my bra straps...

Chelsea26 Sat 04-Nov-17 22:42:59

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_176010100449_-1

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_176010100317_-1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now