Talk

Advanced search

Would you return faulty shoes after 4 months?

(18 Posts)
ThanksForAllTheFish Sat 04-Nov-17 15:32:49

I have some converse that I bought in the 3rd of July. I’ve worn them once or twice a week since then so not excessive but they are not new. (I would guesstimate they have been worn about 35 times). They have a little wear to the heel area but the rest of the treads are still intact.

The bottom of the sole on one shoe is separating from the rest of the
sole, resulting in one wet foot even with light rain.

It looks to me like the glue holding the sole together is failing.

I’ve added some photos to see what you think.

Photo 1 - wear to the soles.
Photo 2 - where it is separating.
Photo 3 - overall condition of shoe (to show they have not been worn excessively).

I hate returning things but I’m also annoyed that they are falling apart with so little wear (I have two other pairs of converse that are at least 3 years old and still don’t leak) Also if I return then I won’t be able to get the same design again as it’s no longer avalible (and I do really love the print). I fear however that the entire sole will just fall away eventually if I continue to wear them, and given the fact I can wear them when it’s wet it limits me (as it rains approx 360 days a year in Scotland!)

usernameinfinito Sat 04-Nov-17 15:33:31

I have. I expect shoes to last at least 1 year.

museumum Sat 04-Nov-17 15:39:06

Depends where you bought them. Some shops will be better than others. Can you contact converse direct? Tweet or email them?
Otherwise I reckon Timpsons could fix them.

PestoSwimissimos Sat 04-Nov-17 15:45:21

Where did you buy them from OP?

LIZS Sat 04-Nov-17 15:47:59

Superglue will sort that out!

rollingonariver Sat 04-Nov-17 15:48:03

I think they could probably be fixed but I would be letting them know. I don’t think it’s right they’re already broken.
I wonder if they could fix them for you if you like the print so much ? smile

rollingonariver Sat 04-Nov-17 15:49:19

As an aside my mum took back boots after s year because they broke and were meant to last a lot longer so hopefully they’ll be okay with it. Converse aren’t cheap so I’d personally expect them to last much longer !

Chrys2017 Sat 04-Nov-17 15:56:42

I would take them back as shoes can be reasonably expected to last longer than 35 wears (consumer rights). Having said that, whether you get a refund or not will depend on the shop—if they want to be arsey they will know you won't bother taking them to small claims court and that trading standards won't be interested.

ThanksForAllTheFish Sat 04-Nov-17 16:01:27

I bought them from Office. I did think about superglue but I don’t fancy having to reglue them every few weeks which I expect will be the case.

PestoSwimissimos Sat 04-Nov-17 16:08:35

Their returns policy

here says 28 days

But you could try.

amnesty124 Sat 04-Nov-17 16:09:52

i returned a pair of faulty wedges to Russell and Bromley after a year!

flissfloss65 Sat 04-Nov-17 16:11:50

Take them back, they are faulty. The shoe shop schuh have a one year returns policy so I try and buy brands from there now.

Janek Sat 04-Nov-17 16:14:37

The returns policy is irrelevant - they are faulty. A returns policy is for if you change your mind and haven't worn them.

I once had a pair of sandals that I wore all summer and then the strap separated from the shoe, so they were useless. I got my money back, but would rather have had an exchange - I mourned their loss for years...

CanIBuffalo Sat 04-Nov-17 16:16:32

Approximately how many 'wears' is that? What's the cost per wear? I'd argue that they're not fit for purpose if they're broken after beibg worn less than 50 times
I took £100 boots back to M&S after a year of light wear. When the customer service person didn't want to repair or refund, I went to the staff on the shoe dept and asked how long they expected the boots to last. The member of staff took me back up to customer service and insisted they exchange them for new ones. I'd have been v happy with a repair.
That said, I buy a pair of those black or brown boots every other year or so and haven't had any other problems with them.

brogueish Sat 04-Nov-17 19:44:36

Yes. A pair of DH's Converse did the same thing after about the same amount of time and we took them back to Schuh. He was offered a refund or exchange, no problem at all.

CakeNinja Sat 04-Nov-17 19:50:26

Mine did exactly the same after about 6 weeks of wear, maybe wore them twice a week. I dumped them in the clothes bin and vowed not to waste my money buying converse again!

HolgerDanske Sat 04-Nov-17 20:08:10

Yes absolutely. That is reasonable use and you should expect them to still be in good condition. I have worked in retail and we would definitely have exchanged or replaced. As long as you had proof of purchase from us, of course.

Fiona1984 Sat 04-Nov-17 20:16:31

I bought a pair of shoes from Schuh. I was disappointed that the soles split and one was starting to lift off at the toes after just six months. I left a truthful review on their website (mainly because you get 15% off for writing an online review), and they emailed me offering me an exchange or refund. I changed them for different shoes, but I have since bought the same pair again.
I do walk a lot, but I'd expect a name brand pair of shoes to last a bit longer than that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now