Talk

Advanced search

Help ! Make - up brushes

(31 Posts)
BasiliskStare Sat 04-Nov-17 07:41:09

Can anyone give me a steer here.

I would like to buy for my SIL some nice makeup brushes - preferably order able on the internet as she lives 300 miles away. However she is lovely and I would like to buy her something personal. She always looks so groomed ( so maybe taking coals to newcastle ? grin ) That said I guess they would be welcome ( or am I wrong? )

Does anyone have a good suggestion - I would be grateful if so.

Opheliasgoldenwine Sat 04-Nov-17 10:21:40

Real Techniques are good quality and not too expensive.
Same with Morphe.
Zoeva are really good but more expensive smile

BasiliskStare Sat 04-Nov-17 10:29:53

Thank you Ophelia - really grateful as I was rather floundering
Appreciate your advice

BusterGonad Sat 04-Nov-17 13:24:36

Charlotte Tilbury has a limited edition set that come in a beautiful case, if she steady has brushes and receives these for Christmas I'm sure she'd be over the moon as they look so beautiful!

Orangebird69 Sat 04-Nov-17 13:26:40

Real Techniques or the Eco Tools range. I have the Eco Tools and am seriously impressed with them. Not one bristle has shed in 6 years...

BasiliskStare Sun 05-Nov-17 13:49:37

Thank you Orangebird & Buster - good, I have some avenues to explore now !

( can you tell I am rather more of a slapdash kind of person when it comes to makeup grin ? )

LuxuryWoman2017 Sun 05-Nov-17 13:50:48

I love economic tools too, they're excellent

LuxuryWoman2017 Sun 05-Nov-17 13:51:16

Eco sorry blush

ZepellinBend Sun 05-Nov-17 13:51:21

I like the real techniques one too.

EnidButton Sun 05-Nov-17 15:21:28

Real Techniques are very good quality. They have some gift sets of them in Boots at the moment. The navy blue ones look especially nice.

EnidButton Sun 05-Nov-17 15:22:25

Or the other ones I use are Bobbi Brown who also have some really gorgeous sets in ready for Christmas. Bit spendy though.

BasiliskStare Sun 05-Nov-17 21:59:17

Thank you all !

thebloodycatwontstopmeowing Sun 05-Nov-17 22:40:23

The Bobbi Brown ones are the best I’ve ever used (and I’ve used a lot). They’re expensive (£150 for a set of six) but in two years I’ve not seen one bristle come out. I’ve used the foundation one every single day and washed it every week.

Other than that Real Techniques but I’d go for Bobbi Brown if you can.

Cakescakescakes Sun 05-Nov-17 22:49:32

Spectrum. Great quality, lovely sets and nice colours etc

TheCowWentMoo Sun 05-Nov-17 23:01:08

I really like bobby brown or morphe brushes, I'm not a massive fan of real techniques. They do the job but I always think they could be better

BasiliskStare Mon 06-Nov-17 22:50:36

Cat - thank you but £150 is a little beyond my budget - do you think fewer but better is the way to go ? I was thinking more like £50 tops.

Thanks to all - and to cakes and cow - I will let you all know what I do ( and then you can tell me in how many ways I am wrong grin )

thiskittenbarks Mon 06-Nov-17 22:55:30

I have lots of brands and zoeva are my favourites. Morphe are good too but can be a little hit and miss and the range might be a bit daunting if you don’t know exactly what you’re looking for. Real techniques are also fine - good for face makeup brushes but not so good for eye makeup brushes in my opinion.

Fabellini Mon 06-Nov-17 22:59:59

The new Real Techniques Powderbleu brushes are lovely - I have a couple after my dsis (who is a high end make up user with plenty of dosh) recommended them as being better than the more expensive ones she was using previously.

HighburyHattie Tue 07-Nov-17 00:33:41

Please buy her a Zoeva, Morphe or Spectrum Brushes set. Don’t bother with anything else for £50 as the quality will be shit and she won’t end up using them. Take it from a seasoned make up wearer and someone who used to work in makeup retail, there’s nothing worse than trash brushes.

Zoeva eye brushes are iconic and would be very useful for her (pro muas love them, dupes for high end brushes). However their face brushes aren’t great.

Morphe has some hit & miss brushes too, but if you research you can probably find a good set for her.

Spectrum Brushes are colourful/pretty/unique which you might like as you wanted something personal. They might be style over substance though

HighburyHattie Tue 07-Nov-17 00:36:27

Also, you can try a MAC Christmas brush set collection? They typically have a shorter handle and might differ slightly from the full size as they’re man made but the quality should still be there

BasiliskStare Tue 07-Nov-17 01:20:16

Is £50 too little ? Ie would I be better thinking of a different idea

Really appreciate the comments - it's just that I can imagine it would be something she would like , but if I am going to end up getting something not worth having I might rethink and get something else.

Hugely appreciative of everyone's help. Thank you Kitten Fab and Hattie

thiskittenbarks Tue 07-Nov-17 01:31:51

No £50 is fine. Lovely idea for a present! If she’s into makeup she sill be happy with fewer, better quality ones. Zoeva has quite a few sets around this price - they are really really good!

ZacharyQuack Tue 07-Nov-17 01:38:25

If your budget is 50 and she's into makeup, perhaps you could get her one or two gorgeous luxurious brushes instead of a set. If she's into makeup, she's probably already got some brushes that she likes.

How about : Rodial Foundation Brush - recently raved about by Ruth Crilly.

Or something from Wayne Goss or By Terry.

Chanel have recently upgraded their makeup brushes and they're lovely.

I love make up and have a huge selection of brushes. If my SIL gave me one fantastically gorgeous luxury brush from Xmas I'd squeal like a little girl and love her forever.

BasiliskStare Tue 07-Nov-17 01:49:59

Kitten and Zachary - thank you - I think I will go for fewer but better & thank goodness I asked ! She is so much more polished than me ( not hard) & she has had something this year ( hospital thing) which was a bit rubbish so I am keen to buy her something which is a nice for her sort of thing ( IYSWIM) I am sure she has make up things in spades but she has other things to think about too so I think a luxury type thing may be a nice present.

& I mean it - thank goodness I asked ! Everyone has been great. Me going to buy make up brushes otherwise could have been a bit like a dog looking for a calligraphy pen grin

BasiliskStare Tue 07-Nov-17 02:11:14

Oh you naughty people - you see having googled what I want is the 4 brush Chanel set @ £126 I know I know there will be better value things which those in the know will tell me about but it's just rather lovely and would make her feel special ( yes yes I know that is how these companies work ! )

Back on Planet Earth am off to google Rodial and Wayne Goss and Zoeva and the rest grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now