Talk

Advanced search

Nice present on a tiny budget

(25 Posts)
treaclesoda Fri 03-Nov-17 18:43:06

I need to buy a Secret Santa present and the budget is £10. It's a token gift obviously but we don't do joke gifts, the idea is that it is a little treat.

It will be easy enough to get a nice fragranced soap and some bubble bath or whatever, and I know the friend I'm buying for likes that sort of stuff so won't be disappointed. But before I go off and buy it, I just thought I'd ask if anyone has any other suggestions?

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 03-Nov-17 18:48:10

Something like this? L'Occitane festive bauble.

plimsolls Fri 03-Nov-17 18:49:41

I often buy two nail varnishes (particularly if on a deal on Boots or Superdrug) in colours that look nice together and then I get a third thing in a colour that goes with the varnishes. The third thing depends on my overall budget.... something like a soap, or a pair of pretty socks, a nice bar of gift chocolate, or a packet of posh sweets, or a piece of costume jewellery (from a high street shop like Topshop or Accessorise, not anything fancy).

There's something about getting three things and in colours the match that makes it feel really "gifty" and well thought out (in my opinion!)

treaclesoda Fri 03-Nov-17 18:49:50

Ooh, that's exactly the sort of thing that fits the bill.smile

DameDoom Fri 03-Nov-17 18:54:49

Bar of L'Occitane milk soap. You get more than the baubles and it is great stuff.
I got my secret santa recipient last week - she loves cheese. Am getting her a tenners worth of her favourite comte... near the date of exchange obvs. Hope this is a good idea as she does talk cheese a lot.

wobblywonderwoman Fri 03-Nov-17 22:44:04

A lot of people are really highlighting the superdrug range of skincare lately. Think both the vit E and a radiance one

botemp Fri 03-Nov-17 22:48:58

Zara Home has some lovely scented candles in their mid season sale. The normal sized ones are £10 but you can also get three minis in a special set for the same price that look really great as a gift. I really rate their scented candles, they fragrance a room beautifully and are soy wax based which is really rare at that price point. I like them better than the spendy Dyptique, Jo Malone, etc.

Ifyouseeapolarbear Fri 03-Nov-17 22:55:31

Decent slipper socks.

Teddy7878 Fri 03-Nov-17 22:57:12

A lily flame Xmas scented candle and some Soap & Glory bubble bath

BeaLola Sat 04-Nov-17 01:04:57

Apart from Zara candles mentioned the Ren Rose bath oil

treaclesoda Sat 04-Nov-17 01:06:24

Some great suggestions. That's given me loads to think about. Thanks everyone. smile

Tatiannatomasina Sat 04-Nov-17 05:15:41

Buy cheap wicker basket and fill with bars of choc, face mask, nail files. Poundland is your friend 😀

BikeRunSki Sat 04-Nov-17 05:22:40

I usually get a mug with the recipient’s initial on (next, sshnsbury’s, M&S, Wilco) and fill it with posh hot choc mix, marshmallows and chocolates.

Teaandchoccake Sat 04-Nov-17 08:49:12

A nice hand cream or scented candle, or fluffy socks.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 04-Nov-17 08:52:07

Please don't buy a load of cheap tat. One nice thing far better imvho, or a box of 'posh' soap if you know she likes it.

treaclesoda Sat 04-Nov-17 08:53:44

Yes, I think I would veer towards spending all £10 on a nice bubble bath or posh soap, rather than getting loads of little bitty things. But I do appreciate everyone's suggestions.

EugenieG Sat 04-Nov-17 11:26:02

If you're starting to buy for other people too, would your take a look at Boots' 3 for 2 Christmas offers? Last year I got a Nuxe "cracker" as one of my 3, it had 4 lovely little things in inc a proper full size jar of lip balm. I think the cracker priced around a tenner too.

FilledSoda Sat 04-Nov-17 11:34:33

I'd much rather have a good £10 hand cream or soap than 10 items from the poundshop

Jermajesty Sat 04-Nov-17 11:41:20

A bit over budget but this stuff is lush :
www.boots.com/philosophy-vanilla-birthday-cake-3-in-1-shampoo-shower-gel-and-bubble-bath-480ml-10126716

BusterGonad Sat 04-Nov-17 13:17:18

I would also rather have one nice thing than lots of cheap things. The mug is a nice idea too! Everyone loves a nice mug for work (well, where I've worked they do!).
I would be pleased with a nice hand cream, bath oil, a couple of Lush bath Bombs, posh soap, nail polish (Decent brand). You really need to know what things the person likes. If someone gave me some yummy marzipan fruits that cost a tenner I'd be in heaven! grin

Deathraystare Sat 04-Nov-17 16:57:25

In Boots - Molten Brown bauble of shower gel £10 - nicely packaged in a box. Several scents. I love the ylang ylang - a rich floral

bingohandjob Sat 04-Nov-17 19:50:39

Soaper Duper stuff is lovely and on offer at Tesco at the moment so you could stretch to two really nice, indulgent bath gifts. The ginger body butter is a good rival to the Origins ginger one I normally love at fraction of the price www.soaperduper.com/product-category/body-butter/

MadameJosephine Sat 04-Nov-17 19:56:23

How about a gift set of candles in Christmassy scents? I bought one similar to this one for my secret Santa last year

m.yankeecandle.co.uk/mobile/mproduct/5-votives-gift-set/_/R-1568608111

PollyPelargonium52 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:26:12

TK Max is great for Xmas gifts at the moment.

MytToeHurtsBetty Sun 05-Nov-17 17:32:41

https://www.thefragranceshop.co.uk/products/twist-and-spritz-rose-gold-atomiser-8ml-refillable-spray-30232.aspx?ref=3&kw=&gclid=CjwKCAjw7frPBRBVEiwAuDf_LRoiszyF248R9fBNCAUaS_bqUjgUqqQwjJ0nkI4B0QVxJdYrI38OdRoCQn4QAvD_BwE

How about something like this? I got one in a Christmas cracker once and I use it ALL the time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: