Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Laser hair removal and breastfeeding (older child)

(6 Posts)
Swippy Fri 03-Nov-17 18:00:49

I have a course of laser to start tomorrow but I know they don't let you if you are still breastfeeding? Does anyone know why this is? I feed my nearly 2 year old at night but not too much so I may take a risk and not tell her as I think (hope) it's just cos they are being overly careful and it's maybe not been tested? I know hormones are slightly different but I don't suffer from pigmentation or anything. I've literally been feeding or pregnant for nearly 7 years having had 3 kids so I've ran out of patience to get this done!

Swippy Fri 03-Nov-17 18:01:37

Or am I being very irresponsible and selfish!

Candlelight234 Fri 03-Nov-17 18:37:49

Have the salon done a patch test on you? This should give an idea of you wil react badly or not.
I've had laser hair removal and they were very comprehensive about medicines and checked whether they would cause a skin reaction. They also made sure I had no make up or perfume on, and shaved the area 24hrs before hand.
I can't imagine how breast feeding may affect laser hair removal?

Swippy Fri 03-Nov-17 19:12:53

Nope I actually called today and asked what I needed to do I.e shave or not shave and they said it didn't matter...bit worried now

Candlelight234 Fri 03-Nov-17 20:16:49

Hmmmm I think they should be doing a patch test before at least 24hrs before the treatment.

Cmlcml Sun 05-Nov-17 15:23:35

You 100% should have a patch test a week before regardless. Breastfeeding is a bit of a grey area, the reason it’s not advised during pregnancy is because hormones can change skin pigmentation (I think).
You should also shave before.
I’d contact another clinic if I was you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: