Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

winter coat

(25 Posts)
user1485201252 Fri 03-Nov-17 16:44:54

Hi Mumsnet

Brrr, I need a new winter coat. Please help me with ideas.

I've recently moved to the countryside and my long, woollen coat that works in the city doesn't work for walks here. And it's becoming threadbare in places. Something warm, waterproof and wind-proof would be ideal, with pockets. Not black. At least hip-length, lower if possible. Am size 14-16 and don't mind paying more if it's good quality.

Thank you smile

LindyHemming Fri 03-Nov-17 16:59:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

user1485201252 Fri 03-Nov-17 18:16:50

Ooh, thank you. How had I not heard about them until now? I've seen a few nice things on there. Some have a delivery date at end of Nov - is this usual for Brand Alley?

Unicorn81 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:16:27

Lands end maybe? They have some good coats

mrsvilliers2 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:29:42

I got a really good coat from Peter Storm in Millets, warm, waterproof, hood that stays up and cheap. Before that I was eyeing up North Face jackets as, like you, I moved from the city to the country and got a bit of a shock when it came to the elements!

mrsvilliers2 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:30:46

I say jackets, I mean coats! When it come to spring I got an Ilse Jacobsen raincoat from Brand Alley that I've been really pleased with.

Oly5 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:31:46

North Face Arctic Parka. I’ve had mine four years and it’s still like new. And toasty warm

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Fri 03-Nov-17 19:39:47

Every penny spent on a Drizbone is going to pay you back tenfold.

I live similarly and bought one over 15 years ago. It's warm, totally water and wind proof and looks as good as new still.

www.drizaboneclothing.co.uk/products/drizabone-womens-wax-riding-coat?colour=Brown&ladies_dress_size=8

They do shorter and less fitted too. I've got a waxed slouch hat too and you never need a brolly, you're totally protected from all the elements.

user1485201252 Sat 04-Nov-17 01:27:17

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions, Shall go ferretting now. (Not literally. That's not what I need a coat for.) Brand Alley might be my undoing. Was wondering how North Face compares with Patagonia - does anyone know?

user1485201252 Sat 04-Nov-17 01:32:17

Oly5 did you mean this one? www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/womens-arctic-parka-cmh3?variationId=44A

I've never had a down coat before. I suppose that's why it's ££. Looks v cosy, though, and I like the length. Hmmm.

AwkwardSquad Sat 04-Nov-17 05:54:33

Have a look at Seasalt coats.

LindyHemming Sat 04-Nov-17 08:53:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

user1485201252 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:19:24

Thanks all. It's a toss-up between the North Face Arctic Parka and this one: www.celticandco.com/womens/womens-outerwear/wax-riding-coat
It looks nice and the reviews are good. The parka would be warmer, though.

dantdmistedious Sun 05-Nov-17 10:58:17

I have that parka and it’s great but it is seriously warm so I don’t actually wear it that much.

OnlyTheDepthVaries Sun 05-Nov-17 11:17:14

I’ve got the northface parka and it is fantastic if you are standing around in the cold - DC rugby and football matches. However I would never wear it when I’m walking the dogs as it is way too warm if you are moving. I wear a musto jacket from their equestrian range. Keeps me warm and very dry.

Oly5 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:24:24

Yes that’s the one user! It’s lovely and warm and I love the taped seams to keep the wind and rain out. If it’s extra cold I wear a thermal layer with it. All my north face stuff lasts years

Nearlyadoctor Sun 05-Nov-17 16:31:56

Hi, I've bought a new one this week - Expedition Parka from Lands End, and am really impressed with the quality. Good length and so warm, I've never bought anything from them before but they are always are being recommended on here. Another kind mnetter also gave me a 40% discount code, so if you like anything on there pm me and I'll pass it on.

Nearlyadoctor Sun 05-Nov-17 16:33:06

Just to add I always buy black or Navy and stepped right out of my comfort zone and bought red. It is gorgeous and v practical.

user1485201252 Tue 07-Nov-17 09:15:31

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm going to order both the North Face and the Celtic & Co and see which I like best. No more brrr for me! smile

stormnigel Tue 07-Nov-17 09:27:03

Love that Celtic and co one... I feel the cold and I wonder will it be warm enough? Come back and report op? I’ve also just moved to the country so need something for long Dog walks but also for standing around watching the DD’s football and training three times a week which is when I get really cold. If possible it doesn’t need to be bulky as I’ve got bigger hips than that rest of me and big coats really accentuate them. (I’m not asking much here am I wink)
Like the north face one but it’s a bit speedy for me I think. Barbour do a parka similar to the celtic and co one with a removable warm inner bit-it’s about 250 quid I think, I’ll try and link... Anyone any Barbour experience?

BubblesBuddy Tue 07-Nov-17 11:53:02

Barbour are excellent and anything from them will last for years. Buy a bit big to allow for layers. Their winter weight Parker’s are warm. I also saw some excellent padded coats in Mango yesterday and I think some of the M and S ones are warm but not so sure about water resistance.

Happinezz Tue 07-Nov-17 11:57:47

Sounds good OP.
I noticed that you mentioned Patagonia- and I do like to support them as much as possible. Not only are their products gorgeous, and practical ( shock !!) - I've never seen such a good company before! Their ethos is about supporting local and small buisnesses (which they once were), and they do loads of environmental work too.
It's well worth taking a look - www.patagonia.com/company-info.html
Just thought I'd mention this, because I was so pleasantly surprised smile

stormnigel Tue 07-Nov-17 13:16:59

Ooh there is a Patagonia shop next to my office! I’m going to call in!

stormnigel Tue 07-Nov-17 13:17:50

Thankyou bubbles. So I’m normally a size 10-buy a size 12 Barbour then you think?

twynkle Wed 08-Nov-17 13:58:42

This one looks ace, and it's made with recycled materials too? finisterre.com/products/womens-alto-jacket-moonlight

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: