Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have never finished a foundation or lipstick..

(21 Posts)
W0rriedMum Fri 03-Nov-17 05:11:11

Am I unique?

Actually once I did more or less finish a foundation (Bobbi Brown mousse type thing) but it got discontinued before I could buy again. I have also never finished a lipstick!

I just get bored of the product and switch to one of the others. Eventually I just bin them as they get old.. Can't explain it.. I do finish eyeliners or eye shadows though!

Anyone else? ( I buy cheap by the way..)

LunaTheCat Fri 03-Nov-17 05:21:48

I have too many lipsticks😒.I have finished them but because I have so many not often.
I think I may have found a Nirvana in a Charlotte Tilbury one though - even my dentist said it looked brilliant me!

Jerseysilkvelour Fri 03-Nov-17 05:25:35

No you're not alone - I also never finish makeup, I get bored and move on! I have more luck if I rotate between four or five foundations at the same time. I love foundations.

OldJoseph Fri 03-Nov-17 06:56:38

There's a thread on here about using things up, you could join them. I've used up foundations before but that's about it, possibly a blusher.
I don't think the make up industry would make any money if we just bought one of say: foundation, blusher, eye shadow, mascara and lipstick, then used it until it was finished.

formerbabe Fri 03-Nov-17 07:16:07

I'm the opposite...always finish foundation and lipstick but never finish eye or lip liners.

Mascarawandlady Fri 03-Nov-17 07:22:46

Always finishing foundation. Never finished a lipstick or eyeshadow. I'm making an effort to try to buy less makeup.

IlonaRN Fri 03-Nov-17 07:31:58

I never used to finish things either, but since having my colours done and wearing the "best" colours for me (including makeup), I have finished several eyeshadows, eyeliners, foundations and lipsticks!

Sparkletastic Fri 03-Nov-17 07:48:14

I make an effort to finish MAC stuff as you get a free lippy if you take 5 empties in. This brings me joy.

MaryLennoxsScowl Fri 03-Nov-17 09:03:48

I've finished foundations but it generally takes me a year and a half! I don't think I've finished a lipstick, and definitely not an eyeshadow or blusher. I finish mascara and eyeliner and lip balm.

ElspethFlashman Fri 03-Nov-17 09:13:38

I was always like you but then I started watching Project Pan videos on YouTube (weirdly satisfying) and started reading the use it up thread on here and decided I needed to stop being so wasteful, even if it was cheap.

Now I have a "one out, one in" rule. I can't buy a new product until I use one up.

I am finding it very useful for perfumes for example, which do go off. I have used up two since May! Just from daily use.

I've used up a good half of a foundation in the last two months, and a half of a concealer too. It's brilliant.

BoredOnMatLeave Fri 03-Nov-17 09:34:38

I always finish foundation but never lipstick, eyeshadow or blush. I wear lipstick everyday too but I just have too many and they go off before I finish one.

Mustang27 Fri 03-Nov-17 09:40:24

Snap, I bin my cosmetics on a yearly basis.

Battyoldbat Fri 03-Nov-17 09:42:54

I’ve never finished any form of makeup, but that’s because I wear it so rarely. I dread to think how old my lipsticks and foundation are. I’m pretty sure I still have my wedding lipstick upstairs and we’ve been married for 13 years. blush

SilentlyScreamingAgain Fri 03-Nov-17 10:11:37

Mostly not but I've taken to cushion foundation recently and, by golly, I motor through that.

Easilyflattered Fri 03-Nov-17 10:16:43

I do use up foundation because I've found the Holy Grail foundation wise for me. Perfect texture, perfect shade. Ive decided to stick with it.

But lipsticks, I probably have 100 hundred variations of basically the same shade.

Jerseysilkvelour Fri 03-Nov-17 10:35:43

I nearly bought exactly the same lipstick again this month as I did last, luckily I had the first one in my bag and discovered it was the same as the one I was about the buy blush

You don't have to actually empty/finish products to take the empties back to mac by the way.

seefeld Fri 03-Nov-17 10:49:06

I use up tinted moisturizer, concealers, sunscreen and face powders. Blusher sometimes although I have a few on the go as I like to vary them according to season and occasion. I’ve never finished an eyeshadow and I’ve got loads of lipsticks that will probably never be finished before going off.

Skincare, however, I always finish unless I have a reaction to it and have to return, same for perfume.

GhostCurry Fri 03-Nov-17 10:52:32

I'm the same, I wish some cosmetics were sold in smaller quantities sometimes! I get bored before I finish anything.

Although DD has been helping me lately, by destroying quite a few of my lipsticks.

I wish cosmetic packaging (lipstick bullets for example) was refillable. Feels horrid throwing it away, on the rare occasions that I do. So much packaging compared to the size of the product inside! Especially for things like retractible eye pencils.

GhostCurry Fri 03-Nov-17 10:54:31

With lipsticks, when they get a bit low or misshapen, I sometimes scrape them out and mix them with some kind of lip balm, and put the mixture in the well of an old compact. So I end up with a sort of tinted lip balm, that I'm more likely to use than a lipstick. I'm not really grown-up enough to wear lipstick every day.

SukiTheDog Fri 03-Nov-17 10:54:44

Rarely. I suppose it’s often that I get bored and then I’ll spot something in store and think “Oooh, now that’s what I need!” Of course, within a couple of months, it’s relegated to a lower division of “love this” and eventually it withers, unused, in my makeup stash.

I have finished and repurchased concealer. Also, lippie as I tend to wear the same one over and over again. I got so sick of looking at barely used blushers that I binned them and have vowed to stick to the shade I repeatedly buy.

You are not aline, OP 😐

SukiTheDog Fri 03-Nov-17 10:58:54

Not ALONE OP, (ffs!)

Also, your skin changes texture and shade over the month/year/time. I stocked up on a coral lippie which now looks bloody awful on me and which if I were to continue use, I’d need a helluva lot of blush to carry off. Can’t be faffing like that so, recently binned 3 barely used (but will never wear again) lippies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now