Talk

Advanced search

Highlighter recommendations please. But not too shimmery - I'm 42

(17 Posts)
MyOtherNameIsBetter Thu 02-Nov-17 15:56:04

Hi, as per the title I'd like something to try to bring out my (non existent) cheekbones - a highlighter is what I need right? To kind of sit on the top of my cheek above where my blusher sits?

I'd like something that is pretty foolproof and doesn't look too obvious. I've got a Mac, big Boots and medium John Lewis to hand

mowglik Thu 02-Nov-17 16:02:55

Mac strobe cream is glowy without sparkles and mac hush (a solid cream applied with fingers) is also pretty subtle with a pale pink silver highlight

Powder wise becca shimmering perfectors are good, champagne pop is a gorgeous colour

Germgirl Thu 02-Nov-17 16:03:46

Benefit Dandelion Shy Beam is a matte highlighter that isn't sparkly or shimmery. Just lovely and subtle. It's a liquid. If you prefer a powder maybe have a look at the Hourglass Ambient Lights powders, they have a sheen but no sparkle

MyOtherNameIsBetter Thu 02-Nov-17 16:06:29

Thanks, I'll try those on in the shops. Although I've not heard of becca?

I really don't know if I want a liquid or powder... I use powder blush, benefit dandelion or rockstar (which I find a bit dark) so which would be best?

SinglePringle Thu 02-Nov-17 16:08:28

As PP Hush and Strobe Creams by Mac.

Also, Hourglass do a beautiful powder highlighter. Gives a soft, subtle glow to skin.

BusterGonad Thu 02-Nov-17 18:23:45

I have Benefit Watts Up, it's a cream stick one with slight shimmer. I use it and I'm nearly 40!!!!

safetyzone Thu 02-Nov-17 18:46:06

Hourglass strobe light. The best.

fuckinguseless Thu 02-Nov-17 18:55:21

Hourglass.

userofthiswebsite Sat 04-Nov-17 16:56:07

I like Mac's Mineralise in Soft and Gentle and Lightscapade.
I also have Mary Lou Manizer, Beeca shimimering skin perfector in Moonstone, and Benefit Twinkle but I think I like the Mac ones the best.

The above are all powder highlighters which I think are more easy to use.

Tempted to try Mac Double Gleam next which is supposed to be very strong glow.

Germ
I've been wondering about giving Shybeam a try. Have never used a highlighter though and have no idea what to do with one. Any tips?

Germgirl Sun 05-Nov-17 13:47:20

Remus I haven’t got Shybeam but I have got lots of other liquid and powder highlights. With liquids just dot a tiny amount (about 3 small dots) along the top of your cheekbones after you’ve done your blusher, powders, sweep a small amount in the same place, blend until you can just see a slight highlight when you turn your head.
That’s how I’d start off, if you watch practically any YouTube makeup video you’ll see loads of highlighter used on the cheeks, down the nose, on the top lip, on the top of the nose etc, that’s fine if that’s the look you want but I’d start off with just a tiny bit on the cheekbone and go from there.

Thank you. I am very low maintenance, so as simple as possible!

Floisme Sun 05-Nov-17 15:01:40

I'm far too lazy to piss about with a separate highlighter and blusher but Burts Bees lip shimmer works for me. It was a happy accident - didn't work on my lips but spot on for my cheekbones and, as the name suggests, has a very subtle shimmer but nothing too full-on.

Good call!

SardineJam Sun 05-Nov-17 17:12:04

Loreal Lumi Magique - meant to be used as a glowly primer but I use like a highlighter once I've finished my face👌

IWouldLikeToKnow Sun 05-Nov-17 19:57:05

I’ve only just started to use a highlighter and I’m also 42. I had a sample of Benefit’s Watts up and really like it. It’s creamy so easy to apply.

CointreauVersial Sun 05-Nov-17 23:14:46

I bought a cheapo from Superdrug - the brand was Elf. It's excellent, a powder with a very subtle sheen, and it was about £3. Am 50, so a latecomer to highlighting.

My main problem is I have a big wrinkle/laughter line which cuts across each cheekbone, and I'm not sure I actually want to highlight this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now