Talk

Advanced search

Affordable but lovely Ski Wear

(11 Posts)
Chicinwellies Thu 02-Nov-17 09:52:12

Aside from spying a very nice £600 Canada Goose Jacket, (nearly the price of my accomodation for the 10 days), Im in need of ski wear for January. Would Love to mask the crazily inept attempts at plunging myself down mountains with some chic and half attractive ski wear that won't require a remortgage....

tinymeteor Thu 02-Nov-17 09:56:48

Are you new to skiing? Don't spend a fortune on gear until you're sure you like it enough to go again.

Decathlon do good entry-level skiwear - not very trendy, but totally serviceable. It is worth spending a bit on base layers that breathe, rather than the very cheap fleece ones which make you sweat. Merino wool is the best material if you can stretch to that (e.g. icebreaker). Then keep outerwear cheap and cheerful. Look for the waterproof rating on jackets and trousers - 5,000 is basic, 10,000 is totally adequate to most people's needs, 20,000 is top end and probably unnecessary. If you're learning to snowboard, get trousers that are at least 10k as you'll be on your bum a lot to begin with!

tinymeteor Thu 02-Nov-17 09:59:01

If you want slightly nicer brands than decathlon, Snow and Rock have some stuff on clearance at the moment too www.snowandrock.com/c/sale/womens-clothing.html

somewhereawayfromhere Thu 02-Nov-17 10:03:43

Sport pursuit really good, they have Smartwool socks half price, which are the best and big selection of reduced ski gear, Sports direct.. I’ve got Helly Hansen Warm thermals there really cheap, TK Maxx sometimes have some good stuff (need to root and know the brands), H&M good for kids stuff. Also, thermals wise M&S heatgen is amazing and the kids thermals they do are great. Fleeces, again you can pick them up cheap from TK Maxx. If you get a fairly decent pair of ski pants and then if you could find a Goretex shell jacket, Mountain Equipment are good and affordable (should be able to get one in the sale), you can use it the rest of the year as a rain coat, and just layer it up underneath with a couple of fleeces for skiing if it’s cold. Also worth considering a buff (neck warmer) and gloves wise try and get Gotetex.. Snow and Rock sale/ outlet would be good for this. Have fun!!

JigglyTuff Thu 02-Nov-17 10:05:09

If you e never skied before, get it from Aldi or Lidl. It’s perfectly good.

WanderingTrolley1 Thu 02-Nov-17 10:06:10

TK Maxx has a range of skiwear.

MargoLovebutter Thu 02-Nov-17 10:08:47

I go every year and if I fancy an expensive brand (Poivre Blanc, Spyder etc), I buy it off ebay. Often the kit is in really good condition, because people spend a fortune and only go once!

If I can't find anything I like at the bay of fleas, then I trawl through Sports Direct, Go Outdoors etc to pick up bargains.

I second tiny's recommendation for merino. I have a foul looking proper Brynje mesh vest that I wear, which wicks away the sweat and then I layer merino over the top of that. I don't even worry about it being special sports merino, because merino is merino is merino and I don't like it mixed with anything else.

I would also say socks are worth spending money on, as you need a decent pair of properly fitted socks. I like Salomons but go to Snow & Rock and try a few on, as it will depend on how wide your feet and calves are.

I'm a big fan of ski mits, which I wear with a merino liner. I've never found gloves that kept my fingers warm, but mits work really well for me & means I can put a hand warmer in them, if it is really cold.

Which resort are you going to?

MargoLovebutter Thu 02-Nov-17 10:09:44

Yes, Aldi do good merino base layers.

Honeycake50 Thu 02-Nov-17 10:10:04

TK Maxx

KoreZ Thu 02-Nov-17 10:15:18

eBay : portstewart-clothing-company

Dare2be stuff was cheap and did the job for me...

moonamanda Thu 02-Nov-17 10:28:30

I'd splurge on thermal base layers and decent gloves and save on the rest. January can be really cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now