Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help me find an un-weddingy wedding dress please

(14 Posts)
IsleofGoats Wed 01-Nov-17 23:09:29

We’ve decided to get married and are doing it in January. Small do, registry office, family only etc etc But I need some help because I’m panicking and can’t find anything suitable. I’m usually very good but I don’t know what it is about this that’s causing me some kind of brain freeze

I do not want to wear a traditional style wedding dress - they’re just not for me. I’m looking for something special though.

HAS to have sleeves/hide the tops of my arms, calf/midi length preferably, (though I’m open to getting something altered) and doesn’t have to be white, but don’t want to stray too far from white/cream/very light grey/blush

I typically like drapey (as my BF calls it), asymmetrical style things
To give an idea, I love these dresses but for the colour
www.rolandmouret.com/product/autumn-winter-2017/allerston-dress/blue

www.rolandmouret.com/product/autumn-winter-2017/wren-dress/blue

Can I please ask the mumsnet vipers to help before I burst my iPad off the wall?

TimbuktuTimbuktu Thu 02-Nov-17 00:41:20

Ooh fun! What’s the budget?

BigBairyHollocks Thu 02-Nov-17 00:53:16

How about something like these?

BigBairyHollocks Thu 02-Nov-17 00:54:25

They're all Una Rodden Coture in Belfast.not too weddingy I thought.

TimbuktuTimbuktu Thu 02-Nov-17 01:06:17

No sleeves but could maybe be altered/ worn with shrug?

https://www.harrods.com/en-gb/31-phillip-lim/asymmetrical-feather-embellished-dress-p000000000005765496

Not sure about this but right colour

http://www.selfridges.com/US/en/cat/roland-mouret-tetbury-asymmetric-crepe-dress_417-2001420-S0074F0020/?previewAttribute=Ecru

http://www.selfridges.com/US/en/cat/maticevski-in-flight-asymmetric-stretch-crepe-midi-dress_238-3004586-DR388017W/?previewAttribute=White

http://www.selfridges.com/US/en/cat/antonio-berardi-asymmetric-ruched-jersey-gown_238-84019603-BPL474A/?previewAttribute=Azzurro+chiaro

Not sure any are quite right but see what you think.

ShiftyMcGifty Thu 02-Nov-17 01:11:28

Love the ecru dress in Selfridges. Imagining Claire underwood wearing that to her registry wedding

sashh Thu 02-Nov-17 01:22:17

I always suggest this - have a look at sari shops

www.mirraw.com/designers/online-hub/designs/white-georgette-embroiderd-semi-stitiched-salwar-with-dupatta-party-wear-salwar-kameez--6?country_code=GB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=scpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-Salwar-UK-PLA-intl&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq5eTttye1wIVygrTCh2uFwCiEAQYBSABEgJh3fD_BwE

www.sareeka.com/alluring-white-salwar-kameez.html

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Thu 02-Nov-17 02:50:22

Vivienne Westwood www.viviennewestwood.com/en-gb/shop/womens/clothing/dresses/virginia-midi-dress-white

IsleofGoats Thu 02-Nov-17 08:02:58

Oh my word - thank you all so much! How I couldn't find these myself is a mystery to me

I LOVE those Una Rodden ones BigBairyHollocks - exactly the type of thing I'd wear. Will get investigating her immediately

I tried on that Roland Mouret one but it just swamps me - I have a couple of his dresses and love them, but that one just wears me as opposed to me wearing it, if that makes sense

I like the Westwood as well - will check out where i can try her stuff on (not near London)

I've no budget - as in, within reason, but willing to spend/invest to get the right one.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Thu 02-Nov-17 08:12:24

Good luck! Let us know how they look :-)

OlennasWimple Thu 02-Nov-17 13:33:10

What size are you, OP?

OlennasWimple Thu 02-Nov-17 13:44:30

Drapey sleeves

Full length Oscar De La Renta

Full length Roland Mouret

Temperley

Off the shoulder

Emilia Wickstead 70s style (but wool so warm!)

IsleofGoats Fri 03-Nov-17 00:24:09

Thank you Olenna! I’ve tried on that and the other Mouret’s, but they don’t like me unfortunately 😟 I was full sure I’d find something of his and just buy it and everything would be fine, but it’s just not happening for me now. Typical!

I’m an 8 on top, 10 bottom. 5’5” but I can do heels

A footnote - that blue Mouret that I linked in the OP - there’s a picture online of Conor McGregors GF wearing it recently and I don’t mean to be unkind, but it doesn’t look as great on as I thought. I think it’s a tall girls dress

mariajensen Sun 11-Feb-18 18:36:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: