Talk

Advanced search

Dear Handbag manufacturers, put a zip along the top!

(73 Posts)
SilverHawk Wed 01-Nov-17 18:21:06

I know the little magnetic dots are cheaper but I want the security and the dryness. The UK is a pretty wet country most of the time.
I have not bought several options because of this and am now stuck sad

JoyceDivision Wed 01-Nov-17 22:07:57

I hear you op!! I don't want buckles or magnetic clasps, just a zip! Scaramanga, I'm looking at you <scowly face>

usernameinfinito Wed 01-Nov-17 23:38:23

Agreed.

Worriedobsessive Wed 01-Nov-17 23:39:15

Totally.

Changebagsandgladrags Wed 01-Nov-17 23:41:45

I want a zip and a flap. Zip on it's own is not secure enough for me

Mosaic123 Wed 01-Nov-17 23:49:25

I travel on the Tube. Magnetic closures are not sufficient. Too easy for pickpockets.

NormHonal Wed 01-Nov-17 23:51:31

Yes!

NormHonal Wed 01-Nov-17 23:52:18

I don't use the tube much these days but bag on car seat/floor of car + braking hard = bag contents everywhere.

AgentProvocateur Wed 01-Nov-17 23:54:02

Agree! I’ve sent about three gorgeous bags back to boden for this very reason.

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Wed 01-Nov-17 23:55:40

Hell yeah !

Oldieandgoldie Wed 01-Nov-17 23:57:41

Yes, yes, yes.

DeadDoorpost Thu 02-Nov-17 00:08:21

Only ever bought a handbag with a zip. If that means I have to go and spend £50 I wouldn't usually spend then so be it.
But then, the last handbag I bought was 3 years ago. I haven't seen many around without a zip. Am I shopping in the wrong places?

MipMipMip Thu 02-Nov-17 00:11:24

Agreed.

Now how do we get the Daily Fail to pick this up so designers see it? Um....teachers are terrible, ban all cars, MILS are all evil....grin

Cakescakescakes Thu 02-Nov-17 00:17:48

100% yes. What is the point of a bag gaping around one tiny magnet. Useless.

Creamswirls Thu 02-Nov-17 00:20:27

And put the zip the right way round for a change!!!

GinnyWreckin Thu 02-Nov-17 00:43:02

I also want a pocket on the outside of the bag, but on the side close to my body for my phone to slide in so I can feel it vibrating, and for my keys too so I’m not fumbling inside my bag in the dark, with who knows what predator is looking on toothily in the car park.

Also, I want versatile straps, and that they are wide (maybe even padded) and have suede on the shoulder side, so they don’t slip off. I hate being garotted by skinny straps, or having to keep putting the bag up on my shoulder as the undersides of the straps are polished like a mirror.

VanGoghsLeftEar Thu 02-Nov-17 00:50:16

Yes please!!

PrancingQueen Thu 02-Nov-17 00:51:57

Absolutely yes.
And Ginny you should go into handbag design!

internetCrazies Thu 02-Nov-17 01:03:32

@GinnyWreckin all those reasons were why I bought my latest bag from Earth squared. Zip plus flap, and a pocket (zipped too) on my body side for my phone. Single strap, adjustable so it can go on shoulder or across the body and to top it off it's soooo pretty! Screw MK and all the rest of the designers, I love my little tartan treasure.

I'm sick of losing the contents of my bag every time it simply tips on its side.

GinnyWreckin Thu 02-Nov-17 01:09:48

Thanks PrancingQueen, it’s rare I buy a handbag, but when I see what I like I go for it. I used to try on a lot of bags before I found the size and shape which suits me.... bit like hairstyles.

IMVHO the expensive “hard” leather bags from Prada etc are awful. They just stick out and bump people.
Sometimes Clark’s come up with the business for a fraction of the price of what’s termed a “good” bag.

This little black over the shoulder bag from Clark’s is only 36£ and is real leather. It has zips, adjustable straps and an outside pocket, though it’s zipped too.

TK Maxx is also worth a browse, as you can try them all on without a snooty cah following you about calling you Madam!

TakeMe2Insanity Thu 02-Nov-17 06:18:53

Agree bags with zips are needed. I do think thats part of the reason why the Longchamps le pilage is so popular is because it has zip and a flap.

ineedwine99 Thu 02-Nov-17 06:31:15

Yes! Drives me up the bloody wall that so many bags have poppers

whoareyoukidding Thu 02-Nov-17 06:38:34

YES!

ScarletSienna Thu 02-Nov-17 06:42:28

I went shopping for a new bag a weekend or two ago. Found a couple I liked but neither had zips so I didn’t get them. In fact, I couldn't find any with zips that weren’t tiny or huge.

RavingRoo Thu 02-Nov-17 06:43:30

I prefer the magnetic closure as it means I can fit a laptop into my tote. Hate top zips as they always tend to break!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now