Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used magnesium flakes in the bath for pain?

(28 Posts)
dissapointedafternoon Wed 01-Nov-17 15:04:26

Did it work? I'm in the bath ATM and not convinced!!!

Jemimapuddleduk Wed 01-Nov-17 15:23:45

I used for insomnia but found the magnesium oil spray more effective- have you tried that?

PurplePillowCase Wed 01-Nov-17 15:25:57

what kind of pain?

dc gets leg cramps and a handful in a warm bath seems to help (but could just be the effect of the warm water)

dissapointedafternoon Wed 01-Nov-17 15:28:25

It's for back pain my back spasms sad
I used the oil before but it made me itchy.
I've just had one and I think it helped but I feel queasy although that may be the bug we have at the moment?
I think the hot water helps too, but I think it's improved with the flakes.
I'll try it next time again and see.

That said by the time I've written this the pain is back..
So it didn't work.

Still waiting for Botox in my back

FuckingBUTTERbeans Wed 01-Nov-17 15:31:16

I've not used magnesium but I can really recommend Epsom salts! I get a 1kg bag (most supermarkets have them now) and put half in. I pulled my back terribly when I had a violent cough and it was the only thing that helped.

dissapointedafternoon Wed 01-Nov-17 15:39:48

We have Epsom salts as well I'll try those! Good idea grin

PurplePillowCase Wed 01-Nov-17 15:44:03

epsom salt is magnesium.
magnesium sulphate.

abbsisspartacus Wed 01-Nov-17 15:46:29

Magnesium oil can upset your stomach 😞

fuzzywuzzy Wed 01-Nov-17 15:48:44

Magnesium oil is itchy when you first use it but it gets less so as you use it more.

I use magnesium oil spray for migraines

FuckingBUTTERbeans Wed 01-Nov-17 15:49:34

Oh sad Is that different from what is sold as magnesium, like the OP was using?

dissapointedafternoon Wed 01-Nov-17 16:40:16

Maybe I need to persist.
I'm so fed up. If someone said to dance upside down with a feather on my foot to help the pain I honestly would

dissapointedafternoon Wed 15-Nov-17 16:43:15

It's done fuck all

Ollivander84 Wed 15-Nov-17 23:54:46

Therma care lower back and hip wraps. They heat up (properly hot, none of this tepid rubbish), wrap around your entire lower back and stay hot for hours. I swore by them when I was waiting for my spinal surgery

dissapointedafternoon Thu 16-Nov-17 01:11:27

@Ollivander84 I'm going to get some tomorrow what a good idea.
I can't get the hot water bottle into the right position and it's too bulky to lay properly on so the wraps sound brilliant. I am immensely frustrated with my health and constant mother fucking pain. sad

Lotsofsausage Thu 16-Nov-17 09:35:02

I think magnesium/epsom salts can help but you have to put LOADS in the bath. I prefer the spray, it sometimes burns for a minute but it is good.
Yours sounds serious though so alternating hot/cold compresses should help (not water bottle then peas etc) and you may need strong pain killers/ physio?

greyfriarskitty Thu 16-Nov-17 09:38:19

Also, try arnica gel, it really helps when I get sciatica.

dissapointedafternoon Thu 16-Nov-17 10:04:31

I'm using arnica aloe and taking
Curcumin
Alpha lipoic acid
Vitamin d & c and calcium
Folic acid

I'm also on gabapentin 900 mg morning and pm and 1200mg in afternoon.

I'm waiting for Botox and have physio scheduled for December to be in a hydrotherapy pool

I also use a hydrotherapy pool anyway

And see chiropractor

And massage every day from husband.

I'm at the end of my tether. It's stalling me having another baby. The hospital are utterly useless!

Strongbeatsskinny Thu 16-Nov-17 13:31:57

Get a proper sports massage and acupuncture works a treat on my clients

ProfessorCat Thu 16-Nov-17 13:34:59

The magnesium spray it itchy or painful in those with a deficiency. If you don't have a deficiency, you won't feel anything at all.

dissapointedafternoon Thu 16-Nov-17 13:38:45

Oh really? I am deficient then. I take magnesium every day (forgot to say this)

Acupuncture was horrendous when I went. I had it all over my front of my body and I don't know why. I kept saying I was there for my back and the woman kept saying it was my female health????

I have had massages in the past but I've spent so much money on it now that I can't afford any more stuff.

ProfessorCat Thu 16-Nov-17 13:40:55

Apparently though I'm no doctor!

IWannaSeeHowItEnds Thu 16-Nov-17 13:45:38

Are you taking magnesium citrate? I think you can take magnesium in 2 forms but one is useless because the way it is formulated prevents absorption by the body. My mum takes the 100mg magnesium citrate (3 tabs per day) and her persistant migraines have disappeared. She swears by the stuff.

dissapointedafternoon Thu 16-Nov-17 13:56:26

I'm taking something called
Calma C

Let me find a link

https://www.highernature.co.uk/Products/Calma-C

Is this magnesium citrate x

Strongbeatsskinny Fri 17-Nov-17 21:18:56

Acupuncture why the hecklers did they put it the front obviously not got a clue what they are doing. Find a decent sports massage person that can also combine the acupuncture at the end of the massage.

Veterinari Fri 17-Nov-17 21:28:31

WHats your diagnosis OP? Ask your doc to ty amytriptilline - it can work v well for nerve pain

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now