Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is Balenciaga an investment bag?

(8 Posts)
ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Wed 01-Nov-17 09:28:51

Like they say Chanel, Hermes, and LV are?

I remember a joke about how bags are investments but some husband said he hasn't seen the wife's bags earn anything. lol.

But anyway - do they tend to hold their value?

botemp Wed 01-Nov-17 11:12:27

No, any brand that reduces their bags in a sale/offer discounts (whether it be negotiated in the shop or advertised sales) loses money over time. There are some exceptions, special or limited editions that create a demand frenzy but then it's usually in the short term that they appreciate and depending on how trend driven they are that value is lost in the long term unless it becomes a collector's item. People also fail to realise that selling a handbag comes with costs for authentication and commissions and a lot won't buy at the high prices without those intermediaries even if you have receipts, etc. If you're lucky you break even or have a small increase but nothing substantial. Buy a bag because you like it and will enjoy wearing it and passing it on to the next generation eventually. Not for its potential future value, there are far better investment opportunities than bags (though pleas could be made for Chanel and Hermes) and it's a stupid rationale to justify an indulgent purchase.

WRT Balenciaga, no, it's not a brand with an especially strong following currently or for the past few years, at least not compared to what it once was. The City is a style they've milked for far too long rather than expanding on that long-lost success they've increased prices and quality has gone down, leading to people abandoning the brand altogether. I have yet to see any change with that regard, it looked promising with Alexander Wang at the helm but he was there for too short a time to really make substantial improvements in the accessories department.

MargeryFenworthy Wed 01-Nov-17 17:37:21

I'm not so sure I'd view mine as an investment but I love it.

Somanyshoes Wed 01-Nov-17 17:43:56

I'd say it's an investment in that they last for years, I've got a few (clutches and City bags) and one that I bought for work (Giant City) I use everyday, it gets thrown about, absolutely loaded down with crap and it still looks like new 4 years later. 1500 pounds well spent in my view, but, they won't appreciate in value.

Mominatrix Wed 01-Nov-17 17:44:04

Not an investment bag (I'd also say that LV is not an investment bag either). However, if you love the bag, can afford it and will use it frequently - that fact should not prevent you from buying one.

ShiftyMcGifty Wed 01-Nov-17 17:46:58

Just look at ebay and preloved sites. I covet a particular niche brand and I love the fact their bags don't hold their resale value because I can get absolutely lovely classic styles at 10% of their original cost.

botemp Wed 01-Nov-17 19:40:45

Agreed Mominatrix, only very specific LVs appreciate in value and it's impossible to tell how those values will hold over time, but the same goes for Hermes and Chanel to an extent though they are considered the more solid investments if you get the right style and finish/colour and pretty much keep it in a safe and never use it.

Cost per wear like with somanyshoes is definitely a better mentality to go on IMO. Being able to have a bag for years and it still looking like new is why I choose to spend more. I just don't look at bags under a certain price point since I know how quick they cycle out, either through fashion or just wear. Not saying it's impossible to find decent well-wearing bags for less money but it takes a significant amount of time and effort to find and actually be a style you enjoy wearing. If you're not buying lots of little things all the times it becomes quite easy to save and get one item you really love.

Do share, Shifty wink. It is true that the niche brands drop in price significantly on the second-hand market but it's easier to buy as less popular brands are hardly ever faked. Sample sales can also be good. I know Hermes has an annual one in January (never a Birkin or similar there of course). I'm also on the list for Delvaux which are really pricey and never get deeply discounted except in that sample sale, only ever in Brussels though.

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Thu 02-Nov-17 20:14:34

You're right, ladies. I will make a conscious effort to stop buying little things and just save up to buy what I really want. Because when they add up, they end up costing more than what I want anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now