Talk

Advanced search

Sorting out my image

(6 Posts)
ConstanceSpry Wed 01-Nov-17 07:30:06

I really want to start sorting out my image and change my buying habits. I currently buy stuff from supermarkets and H&M, new look etc. I'm over 40 now and I feel that these shops seem to cater for younger looks and I've got a job that pays better now so I'm thinking that I would like to start buying better quality clothes that last longer, and are more classic and elegant than fashionable (whilst still being fashionable).

I'm a short size 10/12 and according to an ancient House of Colour analysis I'm a dark autumn gamine, so I'm looking for clothes that would suit that style. So not places that have floaty clothes. I'm looking for classic with a bit of edge; I don't want to dress older than my age, just right for my age.

My question is, which shops (both online and in RL) should I start going to? I can't afford designer. I'm talking the higher end brands that will really last and look good for more than just a year or two.

I've looked at Boden but rarely find anything I like, and Anthropologie just isn't me at all. LK Bennet & Hobbs seems too formal. Not sure where else to go.

TheImprobableGirl Wed 01-Nov-17 07:40:55

Is your style more ‘out there’ in terms of clothes (more &otherstories, meandem, cos etc) it a bit more subdued (next, gap, h and m for basics, Debenhams brands etc.)
There are some brands I love (I am a good decade younger though) but that have some really strange clothes, and some brands that really don’t suit me (white stuff and fatface) that have the odd lovely bit.
There are places like hush, baujken and I still appreciate Jane Norman and Dorothy Perkins for the odd bit. I think the key is to know specifically what you are looking for.

For good quality clothes you are going to want pure cotton, silk, cashmere and wool, and to avoid nylon, polyester etc. It isn’t all in the pricing!

Parmesanity Wed 01-Nov-17 07:41:31

You could try Finery and & Other Stories, maybe Jigsaw and Kin by John Lewis. I really like Dorothy Perkins for cheaper tops too, as well as Oasis and Warehouse. I find Next brilliant for work trousers (I need extra long) and TKMaxx excellent for merino and cashmere jumpers.

I'm over 40 too and going for the 'buy less wear it more' approach...makes life so much easier when getting ready to go to work or play.

NHSparent Wed 01-Nov-17 07:55:00

I think you have to change the places you shop as you get older. I'm mid 40s but wouldn't shop in places like new look etc.

Department stores are a useful one stop shop to enable you to get a feel for the brands you like. I don't however think that you can assume that more expensive clothes or clothes from brands aimed at slightly older customers will last longer.

I'm often told I look younger than I am. I tend to shop in places like John Lewis and House of Fraser to find a range of stuff. Lots in my wardrobe from places like Phase 8, Karen Millen, All Saints. If I go into Phase 8 there will be a lot I would reject as too "mature" but then other bits that are great. Staples like skinny jeans and vest tops I still get from M&S.

Jasminedes Wed 01-Nov-17 08:16:57

Its not easy to find stuff in john lewis and house of fraser, but if you look online first it is much easier to identify both suitable clothes and bargains.

MsHarry Wed 01-Nov-17 15:34:31

Hush have just sent me a catalogue and I think i'm going to like it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now