Talk

Advanced search

Dressing for a super casual office?

(10 Posts)
SierraFerrara Tue 31-Oct-17 22:13:16

I've just started working in a super casual office. Think ripped jeans and hoodies.
I've always worked in offices which have dress codes just below suits (business casual?).
I struggle with casual dressing anyway. I'm quite a formal dresser away from work. Ripped jeans, hoodies and super casual will never be my style.
Equally though, I don't want to be sat there in the equivilent of a pencil skirt and twinset when everyone else is in tracky bottoms.
Skinny jeans/trousers which seem to instantly casual-ise an outfit just don't work for my shape.
Help!

MaryLennoxsScowl Tue 31-Oct-17 22:42:57

What shape are you?

Adding a sweatshirt to an outfit helps scruff it up, even if the other half is a pencil skirt. How about dungarees or a pinafore dress? Chunky jumper and a tube midi skirt or pleated skirt? Posh joggers with ankle boots and a fine-knit jersey? Do you have any trainers you'd happily wear with smart trousers to tone down the trousers? Something like Stan Smiths. Shirt with high-waisted jeans, especially a checked shirt. What do you have that you like?

JWrecks Tue 31-Oct-17 22:55:27

I've worked almost my entire adult life in VERY casual offices. Like people often roll in in pyjamas, casual. However, I've often, but not always, gone in dressed a bit smart, or stylish, and nobody has said anything. A lot of the women in my office like to look smart. A casual office is just "wear what you'd be wearing otherwise" so I doubt if anybody would ever even notice. Luckily, unlike a business dress office, the casual is not a requirement, and you can go in however you like! At least, that's been my experience!

Holland00 Wed 01-Nov-17 00:13:50

I work in a super casual office, sounds very similar.
Hoodys, yoga pants, trackies who

I'm always the one in fitted trousers, heels, dress etc.

Wear your smart with pride!

Catinthecorner Wed 01-Nov-17 00:16:59

What do you wear at the weekend? Start there

ProseccoMamam Wed 01-Nov-17 01:02:43

One of my cousins is also a very ‘formal’ dresser and she was a little freaked out when she started up a new job where people rolled in still wearing their loungewear. She used to do a sort of ‘dressy/casual’ look and felt more comfortable than in a fitted dress or pencil skirt and pretty top.

She usually wore a blouse/shirt with a fitted blazer and some jeans with a pair of nice flats. Sometimes she wore a long flowing skirt with a plain top when it was warmer, over winter she wore some fleece leggings and an oversize jumper. She still looked very fashionable and put together but not OTT. I think I’d have dressed the same if I were in that situation too, I can’t pull off the unmatched hoodie and trainer look I’d feel very weirdgrin

WhoKn0wsWhereTheSlimeGoes Wed 01-Nov-17 07:02:16

I work in a no dress code environment with people aged 20ish to late 50s. Most of the women wear jeans, but mostly smart, straight cut with a smart-ish top and flat shoes, no one wears heels or ballet flats. Some switch to skinnies or thick leghings and boots in winter. The younger ones wear skinnies or gym gear and trainers. Dresses occasionally appear in summer but skirts never for sone reason, I guess they just aren't anyone's first choice. I don't think anyone would seem out of place in one though, the whole point is wear what you want.

CountFosco Wed 01-Nov-17 07:18:15

I'm a scientist and always have worked in the casual end of smart casual. I wear a lot of ankle boots and dresses/mini-skirts or smart wide legged woollen trousers plus trainers. Mix casual and smart clothes together, you can have a more fashiony look than you could somewhere smarter. Just enjoy the opportunity to wear whatever you want, you don't have to wear ripped jeans plus hoodies if you don't want to. Today I'm wearing chelsea boots, gap bistretch ankle skimmers and a loose linen top and cardigan.

Floisme Wed 01-Nov-17 07:23:04

I also work in a very casual, very young office where I'm probably one of the smartest dressers simply because I don't wear ripped jeans or short skirts. I'm also one of the oldest. How I dress shouldn't matter but sometimes it does, and anyway I want to look modern.

If you look at places like Me and Em and Baukjen they mix up tailored and casual all the time e.g. they'll put a blazer over a hoodie or (high end) jogging trousers with a silk shirt and the same blazer, or tailored trousers with plimsolls. Or a sweatshirt - only it's cashmere, a heavy duty tube skirt instead of a pencil skirt, a blazer in ponte fabric etc etc etc. I don't buy their clothes that often but I nick their ideas shamelessly.

PNGirl Wed 01-Nov-17 09:43:10

Casual office here but I'd struggle without skinnies (today is black ones with black ankle boots and a bright blue cable knit rollneck jumper). I find something slim cut on the bottom with a longish cardigan is comfortable but not too dressy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now