Talk

Advanced search

How easy to style this haircut?

(22 Posts)
PolkaDottyRose Tue 31-Oct-17 18:52:04

I'm rubbish with hair - I literally am rubbish. The whole feminine styling of hair thing is a total dark art to me, and I haven't a clue. I can do a semi decent scrunch dry, but that is it. Hair is very long, bad condition (dyeing and swimming) so going for a "let's get rid of most of the hair" panic appointment tomorrow. My thoughts are a messy, choppy, graduated (longer at front) bob. How easy is this to style? it has to be very easy for me. It's either that or go really short, but I would rather not if I can avoid that. Thanks for your advice!

RavingRoo Tue 31-Oct-17 18:55:02

Personally I find bobs hard to style as they require a lot of product and styling to look decent. Try a choppy or messy hair style - one designed for wavy hair.

PolkaDottyRose Tue 31-Oct-17 19:00:09

Thank you, that's what I said above - a messy, choppy graduated bob, so it doesn't require blow drying straight..no sleekness.

KickAssAngel Tue 31-Oct-17 19:14:17

how thick is your hair? mine is fine, and would just sit there, looking like a bowl cut, without product. If yours has more oomph it's likely to be OK.

Find a picture of what you want, take it with you, and ask the stylist if it will work without any styling from you.

Blackcatonthesofa Tue 31-Oct-17 19:23:02

Get a good stylist and ask him/her. My messy hair is a lot better with the chop that I have now. It works for my lifestyle and I owe it to the advice Ivwas given.

PuppyMonkey Tue 31-Oct-17 19:30:38

Depends on what your hair is like. My layered choppy bob goes crazily wavy and sticks out stupidly if left to dry naturally, I need to dry it with a big round brush then straighten - but yours might dry nicely, sit straight and look fine.

Have you had layers before, because for me they can just make the hair stick out weirdly and look awful.

PolkaDottyRose Tue 31-Oct-17 20:00:00

My hair is thick, with a natural slight wave to it. I was hoping for something like this, but thinking about it it's probably a lot of work.

buttwingsham Tue 31-Oct-17 21:36:08

To make it look like that you would have to blow dry and then section and use tongs to create the wave.
Mine is a bit longer, naturally wavey but it I don't style it it looks like a big bushy triangle.

Liara Tue 31-Oct-17 21:40:26

I have thick slightly wavy hair and tbh unless I style it a lot with short hair I look like a lion.

Which is why I keep my hair long. My solution to the unable to style and bad condition is a brazilian blow dry or equivalent straightening (I've used yuko with great success too). They really are magic. Perfect hair with no work whatsoever.

klaw87 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:41:09

I’ve just gone from long to a bob and love it! Granted I can’t let it dry naturally and have it look nice but it is quick and easy to style.
To get waves like that I straighten my hair then curl the top layer of hair with my straighteners, then quickly straighten the curls over with the straighteners so that it’s not too poofy - it does go somewhat like that picture and takes 10-15 minutes tops - I dont use any products. I can usually make this last a couple of days too with out having to touch it. Likewise if I don’t have much time and just straighten it, that will last until I wash it too.

SierraFerrara Tue 31-Oct-17 21:59:37

I have thick slightly wavy hair but it is in good condition. Having a bob just above shoulder length actually worked really well for me because my hair sort of fell into shape with little work.
Any shorter I find is a LOT of work and any longer is more effort but is more versitle.
Shoulder length and shorter does need a really good cut to avoid thick hair looking triangular though.
Why not try it short but long enough to tie back? Then you'll get an idea of what your hair actually needs and you can decide if shorter is a good idea or not.

Shenanagins Tue 31-Oct-17 23:52:03

That’s exactly the hairstyle I want but absolutely no idea how to create it- do I need product, do I need tongs or should I just stick with my straightened hair which is much easier to achieve!

Catinthecorner Wed 01-Nov-17 00:09:31

I have your hair and got that exact cut.

I’m growing it out, I just can’t be bothered with the amount of styling it needs to ensure I don’t look like I was just dragged out of bed

PolkaDottyRose Wed 01-Nov-17 06:36:23

Well, thanks all for your honest replies. Hairdresser today. No idea what I will do. It can't look any worse than it does just now, at least.

PuppyMonkey Wed 01-Nov-17 09:25:30

Good luck Polka - I honestly think you won't know until you try it, so do that and grow it longer. What's the worst that could happen?

I would also like my hair to go like that pic naturally, and sometimes on the odd flukey occasion it might. But mostly, it just looks like un-styled, sticky out, wavy weirdness. grin

PolkaDottyRose Wed 01-Nov-17 09:30:09

Thanks, appreciate the kindness flowers

UterusUterusGhali Wed 01-Nov-17 09:37:13

I have hair like yours and I'm incredibly lazy.
I've got a graduated bob. It's not hard work.
It looks better when I leave it to dry naturally but I invariably have to blast it with a dryer in the morning.
It was much shorter than now, and I used beach-hair type spray. My hairdresser got deported tho sad and my new one can't do the same cut.

Just try it short. The styling won't be hard at first as the novelty will still be there. Give it a few months.

BagelGoesWalking Wed 01-Nov-17 09:49:08

How about something like this? It looks a bit easier to style than those long bobs, as you could concentrate on the fringe section and forget about the rest ....

StepAwayFromCake Wed 01-Nov-17 10:02:39

A few years ago the DIY MN haircut/Cosmo haircut was all the rage. I tried it recently, and am now hooked.

Like you, I'm a low-maintenance-hair type. I have naturally wavy hair that loses its wave with any weight. This cut shows off the wave brilliantly. If I'm feeling particularly lazy in a rush I don't even bother drying it - just brush through gently and ruffle it up a bit with fingers, or finger-curl it (ie fiddle absentmindedly with my hair grin) or twist it up into a chignon.

Caulk Wed 01-Nov-17 10:06:53

I have thick hair and a messy bob doesn’t work unless the hairdresser is very very good. Usually they don’t take out enough hair and you end up straightening every day or looking like a mushroom. If it’s not a stylist you’ve used before then I wouldn’t recommend it

bathghter Thu 02-Nov-17 12:01:19

thick wavy hair in a bob will require more input from you than longer hair cut into a shaggy style.. the lost weight will lift everything up

PolkaDottyRose Thu 02-Nov-17 17:07:00

Well, I have a bob..not quite what I asked for (she didn't make it graduated enough for me..not much difference between the length at the front and back, which is a bit disappointing..and it's not as messy/ choppy as hoped for..)..but it's cut..haven't actually had to style it myself yet. We shall see, but I am not optimistic. I might go back and get it all cut off yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now