Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Coats Again - Warm but stylish

(16 Posts)
Honeycake50 Mon 30-Oct-17 14:26:32

After buying 4 coats in the last couple of months (it's really been a few years since I last upgraded), I have realised I don't have anything I can wear over an outfit that will still look classic/semi smart. The coats I have bought are puffy, military (but not super warm) and so on.

Has to be warm most importantly as I really feel the cold, classic, stylish but not necessarily smart, nothing that will date too easily Should be easy but I am struggling. I am tall and wear trousers/jeans mostly.

Such a thing? Will look at most budgets within reason.

BubblesBuddy Mon 30-Oct-17 14:55:14

Jaeger always do stylish coats and they had a discount when I last looked. They will last for years. Classic coats are really their thing and the sales will not be too far away if you can wait that long! Hobbs have classic coats too.

chloechloe Tue 31-Oct-17 04:48:26

A tip I read recently on On The Spike says to wear a down gilet (Uniqlo have super light down ones) under a normal coat. Genial idea, as I hate padded coats but live in south Germany where the winter is freezing. Would that be an idea?

Honeycake50 Tue 31-Oct-17 09:09:51

Ooh that's a good idea chloechloe, will look into that. I don't want to look frumpy all the time, I am finally coming out of my Asda clothing for the last 6 years and finding myself again. It's fabulous!

Bubbles thanks for reminding me of Jaeger i forgot all about them.

QueenLetizia Tue 31-Oct-17 09:31:52

I had a jaeger coat once, a wrap coat, and it was really thin.

I find hobbs coats quite heavy and thick. I don't own one but I tried on a few and they did seem thicker than other wool coats I'd tried on.

I am thinking of cutting out fleece to attempt to line a wool coat. I wonder would that work out well or would I just ruin a coat!

QueenLetizia Tue 31-Oct-17 09:33:24

I want to buy this and line it myself
I'd size up.

QueenLetizia Tue 31-Oct-17 09:39:23

warm and wool

Not exactly stylish but better than a puffa coat! I'm also so sick of puffa coats!

Honeycake50 Tue 31-Oct-17 09:51:27

QueenL, love that coat, that's lovely. Brave of you to line yourself but if you think you can do it then go for it. I would be rubbish.

I have something similar to the second one, I have avoided puffa look too and looks more like a nice park coat. Want to wear it now as it's lovely and warm but resisting in my quest to find something a bit more stylish. Would def go with that first one, I will look at the LR site.

QueenLetizia Tue 31-Oct-17 09:56:25

I have found a very stylish coat and I might attempt to line this.

esprit coat but the tailoring at the back is lovely

Because it buttons up, if I made a haims of lining it in fleece it mightn't ruin the coat

Therealslimshady1 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:01:50

I love wearing a long belted wool coat over jeans. Makes me feel smart grin

Am tall, and it accentuates my height but I am ok with that.

What sort of budget?

m2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0534181003.html

Oly5 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:05:35

I have Jaegar coats. They are warm and last years

QueenLetizia Tue 31-Oct-17 10:11:46

ha ha I googled that and found this old thread

here

I've been wondering if that wouldn't be easier than lining a coat with fleece! The down jacket would have to be very thin and the coat would still ahve to be a size up I think. Anybody done it and not looked like michelin man!?

Honeycake50 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:17:54

Open to budget Oly5, I know there are coats out there that look a lot more than they cost but its just finding it. Love the H&M link thank you, that kind of thing. Will see if I can find it in-store on my way home tonight.

Maybe that's the answer QueenL to layer underneath. Will have a read.

HeadlessHorsemad Tue 31-Oct-17 11:40:12

Somebody posted a link to zalando coats on here recently and there were some smart casual but stylish wool ones on there.

HeadlessHorsemad Tue 31-Oct-17 11:44:40

about:reader?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mumsnet.com%2FTalk%2Fstyle_and_beauty%2F3060727-Which-coat-Please-help

HeadlessHorsemad Tue 31-Oct-17 11:45:59

Arrghh, link fail, sorry!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: