Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for what to wear to a gig?

(9 Posts)
GreyOwls Mon 30-Oct-17 10:23:42

I'm going to see a rock band this week in Birmingham and haven't a clue what to wear. Can anyone help?

Going with new-ish man so want to make a good impression. There'll be drinks/dinner beforehand.

The trouble is, it'll be cold out but red hot once the gig gets going and I don't want to be either freezing or sweating. I'm in my forties so the sweating thing is an issue!

I'm 5'61/2" 148 pounds. leggy and broad shouldered, pale and blonde/blue eyed so don't look great in black.

I've considered flat boots, jeans, long sleeved t-shirt and biker jacket but don't want to look like I've not moved on since the 1980s/1990s. grin Any ideas?

sooperdooper Mon 30-Oct-17 10:26:10

Your suggested outfit sounds perfect - that's pretty much what I'd wear to a gig smile

Find out if the gig venue has a cloak room, then you could wear a bigger coat if you're going to be cold before/after?

Teddy7878 Mon 30-Oct-17 10:30:04

Definitely go with jeans, or maybe a casual short dress with black tights and boots? A biker jacket would be good to and you can easily hold it inside the gig if there's no cloakroom (although I'm sure there will be as pretty much every venue I've been to has one).
Go for colours that won't show up sweat patches as it might get incredibly warm in there. Do you light coloured clothes or patterned clothes?
Have fun

ArcheryAnnie Mon 30-Oct-17 10:43:56

It's been many, many years since I've been to a gig like that, but I'd say go for jeans, not a short dress. It's not unknown for asshole men to take the opportunity of a crushed, heaving crowd to have a grope (ie assault) and it's difficult to deal with as half the time you can't even turn around to see which asshole did it. Jeans - thick, tightish jeans - rapidly became my preferred option, not because I didn't have the right to wear whatever the hell I wanted, but because I just didn't want to have to deal with it.

(Isn't it awful that this is what I immediately thought of?)

GreyOwls Mon 30-Oct-17 11:40:14

Archery that is bad, I agree. Thankfully, I don't tend to get that kind of attention at my age and also because I have bitchy resting face

I love the idea of a casual dress, thick tights and boots but think I'd be more comfortable in jeans.

I do like light colours preferably but don't want to wear them (or anything nice to be honest) if I'm going to be standing around a bunch of drunk people spilling their drinks. I tend to keep light colours near my face if at all possible and don't tend to wear patterns (they just don't suit me as I'm not particularly feminine, looks-wise.

I think I'll go with grey flat boots, grey jeans, a grey top and a black biker jacket. Thanks everyone!

Bluesheep8 Mon 30-Oct-17 12:48:06

The outfit sounds ideal but am I the only one who wants to know who you're going to see? smile

GreyOwls Mon 30-Oct-17 16:13:19

Kaleo at the O2 on Saturday! grin

Sadik Mon 30-Oct-17 17:39:35

Sounds perfect but I'd swap out the longsleeved top for a shortsleeved one because of heat.

Sadik Mon 30-Oct-17 17:41:13

I always go for skimpy as I can reasonably get away with (with knee length boots so can nip into the ladies & strip off tights if needed) - but suspect this may not be the jumping-up-and-down type gig?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now