Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help me look amazing in this dress

(43 Posts)
Racheyg Mon 30-Oct-17 08:59:54

I have a black tie dinner on Thursday. The dress that I have to wear makes me look awful. I need help on getting it to look amazing.

Unfortunately I don't have another option due to tattoos on arms ect.

Please help xx

KungFuEric Mon 30-Oct-17 09:03:32

I think just different underwear. A pair of Spanx will give a smoother silhouette and a better bra

MuchasSmoochas Mon 30-Oct-17 09:05:20

It doesn't look awful stop it!! You look like a Hollywood siren. You don't want anything too big on your neck, I would say a fine chain necklace but do big earrings. And keep the makeup quite 50s, eyeshadow fairly mute and red/deep lips. Not sure about the shoes? Anything else available? I think open toe works but the colour is a bit matchy.

RavingRoo Mon 30-Oct-17 09:07:39

Waist trainer or corset to make you go in at the waist. Bangle or bracelet. No jewellry around your neck but some chandeliar earrings might look good. Black chiffon shawl. Hair loose and curled over your shoulders.

JesusTapdancingChrist Mon 30-Oct-17 09:07:50

Definitely shapewear. A better bra + waist-cincher/waist cinching knickers or am all one body. Will give you a more flattering shape around the midsection.

I would also cut out carbs/sugar till Thursday and drink a lot of water.

Fab dress and I think the shoes look great.

millifiori Mon 30-Oct-17 09:12:13

It's a good dress and your shape is fine in it - but you do need underwear that suits the dress.

Get a balcony bra. That will give you a lift where you need it and define your waist more.
Spanx or just some really well fitting figure shaping tights.
High heels.
Big drop earrings (if you like them - I love them) with something delicate but dramatic around the neck too.

Ttbb Mon 30-Oct-17 09:12:40

Are you sure you can't get another dress by then? If you end up wearing sonething that you think makes you look bad you are just going to feel miserable all evening.

QueenLetizia Mon 30-Oct-17 09:14:50

I like that dress, I have a similar knee length version in blue sparkle colour.

I think like the others say, buy fantastic underwear and wear a lovely pendant, something bold to take the eye upwards away from all the decolletage.

MoreCheerfulMonica Mon 30-Oct-17 09:16:44

I agree it's a dress for a siren!

I agree too that you need big statement earrings, a more delicate necklace and dramatic lipstick.

Racheyg Mon 30-Oct-17 09:20:01

Wow thanks guys.

Does anyone know who do amazing shapewear?I have Spanx but they make me look bigger, strangely enough.

How shall I wear my hair? It's shoulder length and that awful growing out a style.

Hoppinggreen Mon 30-Oct-17 09:20:58

You look great, you just need better underwear to flatten your middle and hoik your boobs up

user1495451339 Mon 30-Oct-17 09:29:32

You look amazing! Just wear the most flattering underwear you can and I would probably wear slightly higher closed toe heels as I think it would suit the dress more.

If your hair is shoulder length it might look good in loose waves or just blow dried with a bit of bounce.

HotelEuphoria Mon 30-Oct-17 09:36:50

Agree with everyone else, you look great the dress is absolutely perfect and you just need good underwear.

Should length hair I would probably pay for a blow dry/style on the day, maybe a few messy waves for bounce.

Have a great time!

TSSDNCOP Mon 30-Oct-17 09:43:29

Agree: have your hair blowed. Can you book on a counter to have your make up done? Clinique would do a great job and I usually just buy the lipstick.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Mon 30-Oct-17 09:45:05

If you don't find spanx effective how about a firm control (I prefer the ones where I can wear my own bra) slip? I've attached a photo as an example from Debenhams.

I had a Trinny & Susannah one which wasn't very romantic at the end of the evening but really did the job well thlgrin

You look fabulous btw.

Thankyoucomeagain Mon 30-Oct-17 10:24:34

Chandelier earrings and an updo with some curls coming down if you're comfortable with your jawline. Otherwise down and wavy with stud earrings. No necklace.
Need underwear that stops round your waist rather than creating a line around your tummy. Be careful with the short or skirt type spanx. They can sometimes be seen through your dress if they create a line around your thigh.

Thankyoucomeagain Mon 30-Oct-17 10:27:13

Also maybe pin the dress in a little at your waist to give you more hourglass.

wobblywonderwoman Mon 30-Oct-17 10:29:07

I think that dress looks great on you. Agree that different underwear would make it better but I agree, spanx can make the shape change .but not slim.

Anyway, you look great I think

ChinUpChestOut Mon 30-Oct-17 10:30:18

I agree with an updo, and some chandelier earrings. Try a push-up bra rather than balcony, as you need a bra with a "V" plunge. I don't think you need bracelets as you have sleeves, and given the sparkle on the dress you may find that a necklace will start competing with the dress and look overdone.

If you can order a few pairs of Spanx - with short legs, without, full body etc, then you can try on at home and see which gives you the best outline. Your shoes are great. Your dress is great. You're going to look fabulous!

cathyandclare Mon 30-Oct-17 10:36:01

Something like this will cinch in your waist. But I think you look lovely in the dress anyway.

OldPony Mon 30-Oct-17 10:38:30

I think you look amazing. Fab dress! Have a great time.

lasttimeround Mon 30-Oct-17 12:33:04

I'd go for long earrings no necklace and black heels. Simple make up smooth underwear.
You look fabulous!!!

millifiori Mon 30-Oct-17 14:39:34

OP I'm the same with Spanx - they make me look bigger. Just go for sheer tights with strong support.

Racheyg Wed 01-Nov-17 08:27:21

Morning all,

I am now the proud owner of a pair of control underwear, and a push up bra. Have booked my nails and I'm hoping to squeeze in a blow dry. It's a shame I can't get my make up done, but it's actually a dinner I'm organising for work so I'm busy running about and can't get around to doing it on Thursday.

Thanks for all the advice, if your interested I will take a picture of the "finished" product on thursday grin

JesusTapdancingChrist Wed 01-Nov-17 08:28:53

Ooh yes please to a picture - you're going to look amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now