Talk

Advanced search

Help my 10yo dd choose a hairstyle?

(7 Posts)
ownedbySWD Sun 29-Oct-17 17:41:29

My dd has amazingly thick hair - but she struggles to get a brush through it! The top layer is straight, but underneath it is very wavy. It's currently at her shoulderblades and she'd like a style that is shorter and easier to manage - but still able to put it up for sport etc.

If you have any tips for taking care of this type of hair, we would be glad to hear them!

MikeUniformMike Sun 29-Oct-17 18:16:46

Take her to a good hairdresser. If you know someone with similar hair to your daughter's ask who cuts it. The hairdresser will advise.
Forget the brush, get a decent wide toothed comb, like an afro comb. Boots sell them.

notacooldad Sun 29-Oct-17 18:19:12

Would it be helpful looking on Pinterest?
They usually have 100s of images of everything you are looking for and have some good ideas.

ownedbySWD Sun 29-Oct-17 18:50:57

Thanks, we'll be chatting with a hairdresser tomorrow! Been browsing Pinterest this evening. smile

Ttbb Sun 29-Oct-17 18:59:10

It will be easier to manage if she gets some layers cut into it (I have the same).

Apileofballyhoo Sun 29-Oct-17 19:05:25

Be careful with layers! I have this type of hair and it's a pain. If it's cut too short it just goes out into a big bush around my head. Layers can cause the same effect. I have zero advice except thinning - if you can get a very good hairdresser to do it. I keep mine just above my shoulders so that I can put it up out of my way. I can only wear it down if it's very long as its own weight keeps it from bushing out, but long hair out a pain and I'm too old for it now anyway - makes me look tired. I'd love to have short hair but I'd look like I was wearing a helmet. I try to keep it slightly shorter at the back.

ownedbySWD Sun 29-Oct-17 19:08:41

Thanks Apile, I appreciate the personal recommendations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now