Talk

Advanced search

Best deodorant for eczema?

(14 Posts)
SloanePeterson Sun 29-Oct-17 12:55:31

Sorry for the awful subject but I need some advice. The stress eczema I get that tends to stick to my hands has spread to my knees, elbows and armpits. Nice. So I'm lookin for a deodorant that's not going to irritate and which won't be terrible for my skin. Any quick recommendations before I pop out?

MissConductUS Sun 29-Oct-17 13:16:32

This is off topic to your question, but eczema is an autoimmune disease and may be amenable to one of the new biologic treatments if you've failed other treatment options:

Biologic Agent for Eczema

You might want to discuss it with your doctor if you're not getting good results from your current interventions. Good luck.

jeaux90 Sun 29-Oct-17 18:28:38

You absolutely sure it is? I was diagnosed with it but it turns out I'm really allergic to methylisothiazolinone which is found in most shampoos etc

BagelGoesWalking Sun 29-Oct-17 18:30:25

https://www.purepotions.co.uk/products/skin-salvation-lemon-myrtle-deodorant-50ml

MeadowHay Sun 29-Oct-17 19:27:26

I have eczema but the only times I used to get it on my underarms was when I was shaving them regularly. Are you shaving them? Because I think that might be whats irritating them rather than the deoderant. Since I've switched to epilating my armpits I no longer get eczema there.

In terms of deoderant I try and buy the plainest stuff, without fragrences where possible. I like Vaseline's anti-perspirant, and Mitchum do one that has no fragrance added which I really like as well. I use aerosol anti-perspirants but I guess they will probably have similar in roll-ons if that is more your thing. Also make sure you are regularly moisturising your underarms too with a plain, non-fragrenced moisturiser like E45 cream/Diprobase etc.

RidiculousDiversion Sun 29-Oct-17 19:32:42

Clinique roll-on works for me (all sprays I've tried sting) but I agree with a pp that shaving gel can set it off. Have you changed what you use recently? Or can you not shave for a while until it calms down?

hungtotheover Sun 29-Oct-17 19:34:48

I use the dove stick with the blue lid. I don’t have eczema but do suffer from very sensitive, itchy pits. It doesn’t irritate them at all and also stops perspiration very effectively.

UpsyDaisy77 Sun 29-Oct-17 19:50:19

Have you thought about cutting out products that use sodium laureth sulphate (SLS)? It's a foaming agent used in most shower gels, shampoo, hand wash etc. I used to suffer from horrific eczema on my hands and underarms and cut out products with SLS and my eczema was pretty much gone in a matter of days, it was pretty astonishing! Faith in nature available in holland & Barrett or souper duper in Tesco are both good or just stick to plain old soap (check out the soap thread on here!)

MrsMarigold Sun 29-Oct-17 21:00:07

I use the Dove cream one maximum, everything else hurts like buggery.

SloanePeterson Sun 29-Oct-17 21:55:15

Upsy, funnily enough i did change to soap a few weeks ago after reading that thread confused. I've not shaved for more than a week now. I can't see what else it could be if not eczema, for the last 5 or so years I've had intermittent flare ups just on the sides of my fingers on one hand, incredibly itchy bumps which my doctor assured me was eczema (it has a specific name which escapes me now) I get it exclusively when I'm stressed (almost straight away, I had a huge shock last weekend and it came up on my fingers within a few hours.) I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced it. It's a good indication of me getting run down too. But having it in my creases, for want of a better word, is driving me insane. My mum and my maternal grandparents when they were alive suffered terribly from eczema. My mums skin on her elbows, wrists and knees is pretty much constantly raw and I'm worried it's finally caught up with me. I'll give the suggestions a go though, so thanks everyone.

HorlicksBunny Mon 30-Oct-17 09:09:07

DD has v sensitive skin and eczema, she uses Pit Rok (sp?) roll on bought from Boots. She liked it cause it's only very lightly scented, maybe not even scented.

DH uses a Neal's Yard one. All the others he's tried over the years gave him itchy pits.

CountFosco Mon 30-Oct-17 09:43:42

@MissConductUS I'm not sure that NICE has approved Dupixent for use in the NHS yet, that link is a US link (and frankly is not very accurate about what biologics are). Since the US and European approval for marketing is so recent it makes me wonder if your post is a rather amateur marketing attempt for a product that will only be used for patients with severe eczema.

purpleRH Wed 01-Nov-17 18:28:50

I feel for you OP, eczema is bloody annoying. I use the Dove roll on and that seems fine. No spray ones!

Whatthequack Wed 01-Nov-17 22:01:02

Sanex sensitive (peach lid) spray or roll on. It's the only one that doesn't break me out. It has no alcohol in it which helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now