Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Where do i look for a Dermatologist?

(7 Posts)
Honeycake50 Sat 28-Oct-17 13:59:51

Have seen plenty of recommendations on here to see a dermatologist for skincare advice. I don't have any real problems with my skin, just combination and looking to try and sort out finally.

Where are you supposed to look for a decent dermatologist? Do you go to specific clinic, beautician, demalogica counter? I live in London so plenty of options I guess, what am I looking for?

number1wang Sat 28-Oct-17 14:05:48

A dermatologist is a doctor, not a beautician! You won’t find one at a dermalogica counter!
Did you mean dermatologist? People with “cosmetic” but problematic skin (things like rosacea for example) can get real help from a dermatologist.
If there’s nothing wrong with your skin then IMHO you’d be wasting money on a dermatologist. Go to a reputable counter in a department store - someone here will probably suggest something but I’ll start with Liz Earle - and get a free consult with samples to try.

viques Sat 28-Oct-17 14:08:47

Are you looking for a medical dermatologist or a cosmetic dermatologist?

I found a medical dermatologist by googling the thing I wanted fixing , deciding how I wanted it fixed (very specific laser treatment) then checking up to see if they did NHS and private work.

Turned out he did both, and overseas work ,was a visiting professor , had written papers etc etc.

Only downside was I had expected to be escorted to a laboratory / room in the basement with flashing lights and buzzing machines. turned out this whizzy laser was the white box on wheels in the (very lush) consulting room. I told him he should make it look more exciting for the money I was paying!

number1wang Sat 28-Oct-17 14:11:44

Nobody without a medical degree should be calling themselves a dermatologist

Honeycake50 Sat 28-Oct-17 14:48:42

Ok maybe I got this wrong then, perhaps it's a counter I need. No nothing that's problematic with my skin, just large pores, combination skin, spot breakouts on and off. Definitely not cosmetic.

I have read posts on here where people recommend a dermatologist to assess their skin, will start with the counters, thanks !

LifeofClimb Fri 03-Nov-17 13:24:08

Yeah deffo not a dermatologist you're after then, just go to a good local beauty salon. Even the ones in my area (sleepy town) do a range of peels, facials, etc to improve normal skin.

BagelGoesWalking Fri 03-Nov-17 13:34:34

Have you tried double cleaning with an oil cleanser/balm and 2nd cleanse with a low ph gentle cleanser.

Can really help to reduce oil/large pores.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: