Talk

Advanced search

Need a super warm & waterproof LONG coat - where to find?

(23 Posts)
NotdeadyetBOING Sat 28-Oct-17 10:11:37

I am going to Russia in January and want a super warm coat that will work with jeans in the day and also over midi-length skirts in the evenings. Have looked at Woolrich, but all theirs seem to end mid thigh. After a long, waisted (or belted) Anna Karennina type affair. Anyone know where I might find such a thing??

MissConductUS Sat 28-Oct-17 11:49:40

How about one of these?

www.landsend.co.uk/Search?q=commuter%20coat

justpoppingby Sat 28-Oct-17 11:56:56

Well I just got lost in looking for Long coats OP! Found some lovely ones but how difficult it is trying to find stylish and waterproof.
Anyway not sure of your budget or size but here's what's I found. Might not be suitable but warm and stylish imo 😊

Hope links work.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/250988141/vintage-40s-coat-1940s-black-velvet-fit?gpla=1&gao=1&&utmsource=google&utmm_medium=cpc&utmcampaign=shoppingg_ukenn_gb-clothing-womenss_clothing-other&utmcustom1=e95d994b-6b7d-4f0f-a4a3-3a50251883e3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4obY05CT1wIVlB4bCh18Cg8pEAkYAiABEgJMkPDD_BwE

https://www.emp.co.uk/p/midnight-coat/336852.html?adc=uk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm521jJGT1wIVWl8ZCh3XswTiEAkYAiABEgLOzPDBwE&wtt_mc=mp.google.Brands.PoizenIndustries.Girlscoat.WinterCoat.336852

http://www.justlastseason.co.uk/petite-fit-and-flare-coat/010043756.html?cgid=JLSPetite&dwvarr010043756color=0300&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn8H1oZGT1wIVBzPTCh1zTgWPEAkYASABEgI-bfDD_BwE#foc=2016&foo_k=729b7537812ac7bb5c2d545bda187f55&fos=gplaukk

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/207737358/long-cashmere-wool-blend-coat-with-extra?gpla=1&gao=1&&utmm_source=google&utmmedium=cpc&utmm_campaign=shoppingukk_engbb_-clothing-womensclothing-other&utmm_custom1=e95d994b-6b7d-4f0f-a4a3-3a50251883e3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgJXy5GT1wIVC0kZCh2FhAlqEAkYByABEgIcYvDD_BwE

SuccessStory Sat 28-Oct-17 12:03:16

I was just going to recommend Landsend but see someone already has. Their coats are super warm.

MissConductUS Sat 28-Oct-17 12:18:28

Lands End started out in Chicago, a city that experiences famously cold, snowy winters. They're now in Wisconsin, a state even further north and colder and snowier. So it's no surprise that their cold weather gear is first rate.

NotdeadyetBOING Sun 29-Oct-17 14:30:40

Thank you so much, MissConductUSA & Justpoppingby. Some great recommendations. I like the long Lands End one very much. Some really lovely ones on Etsy too, but not all of them waterproof. Really appreciate the help - had been getting totally stuck!

MissConductUS Sun 29-Oct-17 15:27:21

Oh, before you order, I just got this fab promo code from LE in my email this morning:

How to receive 40% off all outerwear, including coats, snow boots, hats & gloves! Plus, receive 30% off regular-price styles:
Simply click any link in this e-mail and the Promotion Code and PIN will automatically be applied to your order. Or at checkout, manually enter the Promotion Code MAGIC and PIN 4451.

I don't know if it will work on the UK site or not. If it doesn't, check here:

www.retailmenot.com/view/landsend.co.uk

I agree, waterproofing is key!

I'm so glad I could help. grin

NotdeadyetBOING Mon 30-Oct-17 14:42:10

Better and better! Huge thanks, MissConductUS !!

BubblesBuddy Mon 30-Oct-17 14:51:56

I thought Russia was just VERY cold in January, not wet. I would go for warmth first!

MissConductUS Mon 30-Oct-17 14:54:42

And a huge You're Welcome Notdeadyet!

Today is likely the last day for that promo code to work. There's usually something for LE on that retailmenot.com site, but 40% off is pretty special. If the code doesn't work for the UK site you can order from the US site and have it shipped to you in the UK.

Anatidae Mon 30-Oct-17 15:03:56

Wait wait...hold on.

Which bit of Russia in January?

As someone who lives in a very cold country, can I just say that you can’t just buy any nice pretty coat to deal with -25 and below. You’ll perish.
Make sure whatever you get is actually designed for COLD weather. Lands end isn’t tip top winter kit.

If it’s that cold, waterproofing actually isnt an issue. You need water resistance but snow is more dry at very low temperatures.

Make sure you’ve got decent boots as well.

Anatidae Mon 30-Oct-17 15:08:18

How about a Canada goose ‘mystique’?

Or a Mackage Jada Down Coat?

Seriously, if it’s Proper Winter Weather go for function over form.

SweetChickadee Mon 30-Oct-17 15:11:26

If it’s that cold, waterproofing actually isnt an issue. You need water resistance but snow is more dry at very low temperatures

I was just coming on to say this, also from a v cold country. You don't need waterproof for snow, you need warm and windproof if it's really cold.

Something down filled, with a hood. Might not be glam, but if it's -25 you need a real coat.

MissConductUS Mon 30-Oct-17 15:13:12

LE has sent me a new code, and it does expire at midnight central time US tonight:

How to receive 40% off all outerwear, including coats, snow boots, hats & gloves! Plus, receive 30% off regular-price styles:
Simply click any link in this e-mail and the Promotion Code and PIN will automatically be applied to your order. Or at checkout, manually enter the Promotion Code PARTY and PIN 4451.

Anatidae

LE rates the commuter coat as follows:

Commuter Coat

TEMPERATURE RATING - WARMEST: -25º to 0º Fahrenheit. Use this as a comfort range for the type of climate you’ll be wearing this Commuter Down Long Coat in with a typical winter wardrobe.

I regularly wear a LE coat with the same rating in the single digits F without a problem. You can't be naked underneath though.

ontherightpath Tue 31-Oct-17 06:02:59

Several years ago I went to Russia in January (-25/30), I bought the warmest long down coat I could find, plus a thick wool hat, scarf etc. By the 4th day I was wearing a borrowed fur coat and hat - despite swearing I would never wear fur, but I couldn't care less at that point, I was so cold!! It was the only thing that actually kept me warm.

mrsvilliers2 Tue 31-Oct-17 06:57:17

Came to say what every one else is saying! Water is not an issue in Russia in January! Make sure that you have an additional warm layer to go over your outfit and under the coat as well. Inside is super over heated so layers help you strip off.

mrsvilliers2 Tue 31-Oct-17 07:03:57

Meant to add - not a jumper. I wore a thick, outdoor fleece under my coat. Everywhere has cloakrooms so you can hand your coat etc in when you go out somewhere. Have fun, it's an amazing place!

NotdeadyetBOING Tue 31-Oct-17 14:44:28

That Canada Goose one looks pretty perfect apart from the price tag. For some reason I thought they only did the parka ones that end mid-thigh because that is the style you tend to see out and about.

Am going to Moscow and am v. excited. Went to St Petersburg once in Nov and it was very sleety which is why I was thinking waterproof as well as super warm.

And whoever said upthread I need to get shoes sorted is absolutely right. I seem to remember all the Russian women seemed to have rather clever boots that were a) super warm; but also b) not hideous/resembling Uggs. If, for instance, going to the ballet in the evening with a decent dress I'll need warm/waterproof/vaguely feminine combo. If anyone has any brilliant tips on that then I'd be grateful with bells on!!

mylaptopismylapdog Tue 31-Oct-17 14:52:46

I can vouch for the landsend one I am on my second.Great for winter dog walks and rugby games.

user1471456408 Tue 31-Oct-17 14:55:25

www.shop-outdoors.co.uk/merrell-ellenwood-insulated-women-s-jacket-15005.html?fee=13&fep=12356&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3s203o6b1wIVaTPTCh3WdQbyEAQYAyABEgIqpfD_BwE

I have this Merrelbone, it ends mid calf on me (5 foot) and is very warm and waterproof.

mrsvilliers2 Tue 31-Oct-17 16:03:59

Ooh Moscow is fab OP, I lived there for a couple of years, am very jealous! Russian women are amazing aren't they? I'd be clinging onto the icy metro steps in my sturdy boots while they ran down in the stilettos! I don't know where you buy boots like that sadly...

I would look at what you already have and see if any would work. For example I have a pair of knee high flat boots, I would get an extra grippy sole put on and some sheepskin insoles and hope for the best. You do go from warm to warm very quickly.

Anatidae Tue 31-Oct-17 16:32:39

Yeah, I’d never worn fur before I lived here.

The first time I was out at -37 i relented. Nothing else keeps you as warm.

Anatidae Tue 31-Oct-17 16:50:01

Check if your venues (ballet etc) have cloakrooms that will check boots as well. It is indeed possible to walk on ice in stilettos but while I’ve seen it, I’ve never managed it 😂

Below about -25 it is possible to get very cold very quickly without going through the chilly stage. You don’t realise how cold you are until you’re in a bit of a state.

You do need serious clothing if it’s cold. Frostbite isn’t unusual here in winter.

If I’m out and it’s very cold I often wear a merino base layer under everything as well. If I’m out for any length of time then an insulated skirt too - mine is down filled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now